What's new

Boston Celtics trade

karl malone

With the Celtics hoping to sign Kevin Love as well as wanting to get Gerald Wallace's contract off the books, there could be an opportunity for Utah to take advantage of the situation. After getting injured during an altercation with Kelly Olynyk, it appears unlikely that Love would sign with Boston while he is still on the roster. The Celtics are also reportedly willing to include a 1st round pick in order to trade Wallace. Boston may be desperate enough to sign a star FA during the off-season that they could be willing to trade Olynyk, especially if it frees up even more cap space in the process. Maybe something along the lines of:

Trade: Burke/Booker
Recieve: Wallace/Olynyk/2nd rd pick

With Frank Kaminsky unsure to still be on the board at #12, this could be an alternative solution to acquiring the stretch big that the team is missing. While absorbing Wallace's contract would take up the majority of our remaining cap space, including Booker would leave enough to sign a backup PG to replace Burke.

PG Exum/FA/Cotton
SG Hood/Burks/Millsap
SF Hayward/Ingles/Wallace
PF Favors/Looney or Portis
C Gobert/Olynyk

Last edited:
Being from Mass (and liking the Cs as my other team), I would have to say the trade is neither desirable nor feasible. For starters, the Jazz lose out. While Burke may not have a lot of supporters on this board, I believe he has value and some potential worthy of our consideration. I also like Booker quite a bit.

On the Celtics' side of things, they are awash in point guards / smaller guards and wouldn't want Burke. They also have a Booker: his name is Brandon Bass. While not a perfect comparison, it's close enough for our purposes.

So basically, what this trade comes down to is us acquiring Kelly Olynyk, which is not necessarily a bad thing because we could use a 4/5 with some range, but taking on the Gerald Wallace Albatross is not worth it. And the last thing we need is another second round pick.

Why do we have to give them Burke and Booker? Don't they already have Smart and Thomas as their PG's? Jazz can absorb the contract of Wallace and Olynyk under the cap, with Olynyk being the cost of doing so. That seems like a fair scenario to me. Throw in a couple of seconds if they insist.

It's a decent scenario and makes a ton of sense. I remember the rumor that the Jazz were considering a center two years ago, but knew he'd be gone before they picked. Could have beem Olynyk or it could have been Adams. Fortunately, they traded up for Burke and then felt the need to draft Gobert. What a defining moment in Jazz history. Can you imagine if Olynyk had dropped, the Jazz had taken him at #14 and then gone with someone else at #21. Probably wouldn't have been Gobert OR Dieng if they had already drafted a center.

Why do we have to give them Burke and Booker? Don't they already have Smart and Thomas as their PG's? Jazz can absorb the contract of Wallace and Olynyk under the cap, with Olynyk being the cost of doing so. That seems like a fair scenario to me. Throw in a couple of seconds if they insist.

It's a decent scenario and makes a ton of sense. I remember the rumor that the Jazz were considering a center two years ago, but knew he'd be gone before they picked. Could have beem Olynyk or it could have been Adams. Fortunately, they traded up for Burke and then felt the need to draft Gobert. What a defining moment in Jazz history. Can you imagine if Olynyk had dropped, the Jazz had taken him at #14 and then gone with someone else at #21. Probably wouldn't have been Gobert OR Dieng if they had already drafted a center.

I might disagree. Walt Perrin said the mindset is always best player available for the front office and it is reasonable that Gobert was that in their eyes at #21. Also, rim protection is becoming more and more valued and I bet Dennis was on to that.

I might disagree. Walt Perrin said the mindset is always best player available for the front office and it is reasonable that Gobert was that in their eyes at #21. Also, rim protection is becoming more and more valued and I bet Dennis was on to that.

Perhaps. I know they had a crush on Rudy before the draft and hinted at an international "sleeper." With Enes and Olynyk seen as offensive weapons, it could still have made sense to add Gobert as the 4th big, figuring it would take 3-4 years before he was ready for significant minutes. He was, after all, a skinny project with limited experience!

But getting back to the trade, I don't hate it. It can't be done until the cap goes up. By then, Jazz would have drafted a player and could make a few phone calls to prospective FA targets. If the cap space isn't going to be used elsewhere, Jazz could absorb Wallace's contract. Even offer a buyout if he wants to go elsewhere.

Was just throwing out a scenario. The idea is to acquire Olynyk by absorbing Wallace's contract so we don't necessarily have to trade Burke &/or Booker. My rationale was that they would want something back of value (Burke) & we would want to maintain enough financial flexibility (by including/releasing Booker) in order to sign a back up PG. If we wanted to retain both players, maybe we could trade the OKC 1st instead. I don't think Boston would part with Olynyk just to get rid of the last year on Wallace's contract, but you never know. The particulars of the trade can be adjusted. Personally, I think using the available cap room to absorb Wallace's contract & acquire a stretch big who can be part of our core would be a better option than any FA we may be able to sign over the off-season. It would also take away a need (stretch big/backup C) & allow us to be more comfortable going bpa at #12.

Was just throwing out a scenario. The idea is to acquire Olynyk by absorbing Wallace's contract so we don't necessarily have to trade Burke &/or Booker. My rationale was that they would want something back of value (Burke) & we would want to maintain enough financial flexibility (by including/releasing Booker) in order to sign a back up PG. If we wanted to retain both players, maybe we could trade the OKC 1st instead. I don't think Boston would part with Olynyk just to get rid of the last year on Wallace's contract, but you never know. The particulars of the trade can be adjusted. Personally, I think using the available cap room to absorb Wallace's contract & acquire a stretch big who can be part of our core would be a better option than any FA we may be able to sign over the off-season. It would also take away a need (stretch big/backup C) & allow us to be more comfortable going bpa at #12.
Could we make this conditional on Olynyk getting a haircut?

I can understand why people are hesitant to sell low on Burke & lose the leadership provided by Booker, let alone waste $10 million dollars worth of cap space on a player who's contribution is likely to be minimal. I also agree that Boston may not have much interest in Burke. I could see them having some interest in Booker since Bass is a FA, but they would likely prefer to have the extra cap space heading into the off-season. I believe we would be able to absorb the total $12+ mil in contracts of Olynyk & Wallace without having to send any salary in return, but this would take up almost all of our cap room. Boston has stockpiled as many 1st rd draft picks as possible in recent years so they may be willing to accept a draft pick in return.

Alternatives:

Trade: OKC or GSW 1st
Recieve: Wallace/Olynyk

Trade: #12/2nd rd pick
Recieve: #16/Wallace/Olynyk

PG Exum/Burke/Cotton
SG Hood/Burks/Millsap
SF Hayward/Ingles/Wallace
PF Favors/Booker
C Gobert/Olynyk
+ 1st rd pick

I don't know if Boston would be interested in any of those trades, but this would certainly keep our team chemistry intact, retain future financial flexibility, & continue to add long-term assets to our core. With even modest improvement from the PG position, that roster should easily compete for the #6-#8 playoff seeds.

Any chance of having you come back, Karl? Even at your age you'd be our best option behind Favors. Seriously, I actually like the revised trade scenarios...if DL doesnt plan on using the cap space for anything else.

Locke said he was told that the Jazz were planning on taking Gobert at 14. When Burke slid, they went after Burke. When Gobert slid, they went after Gobert.

Any chance of having you come back, Karl? Even at your age you'd be our best option behind Favors. Seriously, I actually like the revised trade scenarios...if DL doesnt plan on using the cap space for anything else.

Karl Malone could come back anytime Karl Malone wanted to. Karl Malone was NBA ready since the day he was born & will remain so until the day Karl Malone dies, possibly even beyond that. Karl Malone is too humble to deliver a can of whoop *** to the rest of the league.

RE the trade:
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to attempt to center the deal around draft picks. The reason I initially included Burke in the trade was because, while I still think he has potential to eventually start, it is clear that his future role on this team is limited due to the presence of Exum, as well as the fact that his style of play likely isn't an ideal fit in the 2nd unit (on this roster). I also feel that it would be more beneficial for Exum to be mentored by a vet FA PG, & since he is clearly in our long-term plans, his development should be the priority. Replacing Burke with a veteran PG who can better facilitate the offense could be a major addition by subtraction. Booker was included solely for that purpose, as I like Booker & the immeasurable qualities that he brings to this team, such as hustle, leadership, attitude, etc.

That being said, while improving the backup PG position would likely bring more overall improvement to the team than whatever contributions the 4th big (assuming we acquire Olynyk) would make, fighting for a lower playoff seed is likely our best case scenario next year regardless, so retaining Burke for an additional year & hoping for improvements may be the best use of his value. Retaining Booker would also be an obvious plus, the only concern is that there wouldn't be many available minutes for any incoming rookies. With the team wanting to preserve the chemistry that it built over the previous season, losing Booker is likely something the FO would prefer to avoid. Adding a potential core player, who not only fits the developmental timeline of our other key members, but has a complimentary skill set to the other players at his position seems like more value than $10 million could obtain us in FA. Adding 2 more potential core players (Olynyk & #12/#16) for the price of $10 mil in cap space & a future late 1st or moving down 4 spots (+ a 2nd rd pick) in a fairly deep draft, while retaining all of our key players from last year, appears like the type of off-season that would coincide with what the team is trying to accomplish.

Last edited:
Locke said he was told that the Jazz were planning on taking Gobert at 14. When Burke slid, they went after Burke. When Gobert slid, they went after Gobert.

A good example why you want to take need out of the equation. The Jazz desperately needed a PG and it probably clouded their judgement. Today they could simply go out on the open market and get a Burke level PG for 3-4 million.

With the Celtics hoping to sign Kevin Love as well as wanting to get Gerald Wallace's contract off the books, there could be an opportunity for Utah to take advantage of the situation. After getting injured during an altercation with Kelly Olynyk, it appears unlikely that Love would sign with Boston while he is still on the roster. The Celtics are also reportedly willing to include a 1st round pick in order to trade Wallace. Boston may be desperate enough to sign a star FA during the off-season that they could be willing to trade Olynyk, especially if it frees up even more cap space in the process. Maybe something along the lines of:

Trade: Burke/Booker
Recieve: Wallace/Olynyk/2nd rd pick

Why is Utah giving up so much to help Celtics land Love? Why is Utah giving up the best player in the bunch, Burke, to land a large expiring contract and a second round pick. I like Kelly and think he proved he can play in the NBA, but he is not an All Star. He is Ryan Anderson with more post moves.

Why is Utah giving up so much to help Celtics land Love? Why is Utah giving up the best player in the bunch, Burke, to land a large expiring contract and a second round pick. I like Kelly and think he proved he can play in the NBA, but he is not an All Star. He is Ryan Anderson with more post moves.

As a Pelicans fan I'd say Olynyk really isn't even close to Ryan Anderson. I agree with your premise. I don't understand the love affair with Olynyk. I think a combo of Burke and Booker could land you somebody like George Hill if the right situation plays out. Like you said of that bunch Burke is the better player with the higher ceiling.