What's new

Boston Celtics trade

Why is Utah giving up so much to help Celtics land Love? Why is Utah giving up the best player in the bunch, Burke, to land a large expiring contract and a second round pick. I like Kelly and think he proved he can play in the NBA, but he is not an All Star. He is Ryan Anderson with more post moves.

How is Burke the best player in the trade? Booker & Olynyk both put up better PER's than he did. Plus this move isn't to acquire a large expiring contract and a second round pick, it's to acquire a young stretch big in Olynyk who brings a skillset that our other bigs are lacking by absorbing a large expiring contract. I don't think Olynyk is an all-star but I do think that he would be the perfect complimentary third big on this team.

People are overrating Burke & even Booker to some extent. Burke has some potential but he has vastly underperformed up to this point & is quickly becoming an inefficient score first PG. Booker does have value, but not nearly as much as some would like to think. His value is based on his non-guaranteed contract as much as it is his talent. Sure, he brings qualities that can't be quantified but he is still a role player. Olynyk is a young big man who has put up a PER of 15+ in both of his first 2 years in the league & still has plenty of room to grow.

Last edited:
With the Celtics hoping to sign Kevin Love as well as wanting to get Gerald Wallace's contract off the books, there could be an opportunity for Utah to take advantage of the situation. After getting injured during an altercation with Kelly Olynyk, it appears unlikely that Love would sign with Boston while he is still on the roster. The Celtics are also reportedly willing to include a 1st round pick in order to trade Wallace. Boston may be desperate enough to sign a star FA during the off-season that they could be willing to trade Olynyk, especially if it frees up even more cap space in the process. Maybe something along the lines of:

Trade: Burke/Booker
Recieve: Wallace/Olynyk/2nd rd pick

With Frank Kaminsky unsure to still be on the board at #12, this could be an alternative solution to acquiring the stretch big that the team is missing. While absorbing Wallace's contract would take up the majority of our remaining cap space, including Booker would leave enough to sign a backup PG to replace Burke.

PG Exum/FA/Cotton
SG Hood/Burks/Millsap
SF Hayward/Ingles/Wallace
PF Favors/Looney or Portis
C Gobert/Olynyk

Why would we trade Booker?? This is the guy that does everything for a team that never makes it to a stat sheet. His defense is outstanding, and trading him is a huge mistake. He loves playing in Utah and we get a lot out of him for the money we have going out for him.

Do I even have to go into adding Wallace?? Why?? What value does he add??

Why would we trade Booker?? This is the guy that does everything for a team that never makes it to a stat sheet. His defense is outstanding, and trading him is a huge mistake. He loves playing in Utah and we get a lot out of him for the money we have going out for him.

Do I even have to go into adding Wallace?? Why?? What value does he add??

RE: Trading Booker

I like him as well. He brings hustle, leadership, & attitude to this team. He fits the culture of what we're attempting to build here, but that doesn't make him irreplaceable. Bottom line is he's a role player & no guarantee to return beyond this year. That doesn't mean that we should trade him just to trade him, but if including a 27 year old role player (Booker) in a deal brings back a 23 year old stretch big (Olynyk) who can be a part of the core for the next 5-10 years, then you do it. The only reason I included Booker in this deal was because: A) I thought he might hold some value to Boston & B) I included Burke in the trade so cap space needed to be freed up in order to sign a replacement backup PG.

RE: Wallace

Do I even have to go into why he was added? Burke & Booker combined hold less value than Olynyk does on his own, hence why we take on Wallace's terrible contract.

Burke & Booker for Wallace & Olynyk was just one example. If you go through the thread, you will find others.

Last edited: