What's new

Box Elder bugs

My neighbors had a detached shed full of grains that attracted mice, who bred and built mouse heaven. It was nasty. You walk in there and see at least 50 mice in the open and hundred behind everything. We went in once armed with pool sticks and clubbed probably 100 of them.

We plotted to catch some and launch them with balloon launchers at the police station but never actually did it. If I were a kid again I doubt I would pass this opportunity up twice.

Good stories, Frank. I didn't think I could possibly respect you any more .. you proved me wrong.

If this trend continues, we should be at "puppy massacre" before noon.

Is that before or after Cats? Cat's could take a while, so not sure about noon, besides it's after noon already. Let's get a move on folks.

To redeem myself a little bit, my friends and I were awarded the "Kindness to Animals" award in elementary school. I went to Franklin (no, not franklin) Elementary and it's sits right on the bank of the beautiful and majestic Jordan River. A lot of the kids would smash duck eggs from the ducks that nested on that wonderful untamed wilderness. My friends and I put together a little crew that would kick anyone's *** we caught smashing duck eggs (they often had semi-developed baby ducks in them, not just yolk). For this the school faculty created the "Kindness to Animals" award and gave it to us. I think they had been horrified for years at the amount of duck eggs that littered the playground but didn't know how to stop it.

To redeem myself a little bit, my friends and I were awarded the "Kindness to Animals" award in elementary school. I went to Franklin (no, not franklin) Elementary and it's sits right on the bank of the beautiful and majestic Jordan River. A lot of the kids would smash duck eggs from the ducks that nested on that wonderful untamed wilderness. My friends and I put together a little crew that would kick anyone's *** we caught smashing duck eggs (they often had semi-developed baby ducks in them, not just yolk). For this the school faculty created the "Kindness to Animals" award and gave it to us. I think they had been horrified for years at the amount of duck eggs that littered the playground but didn't know how to stop it.

That's a really great story. And I don't think killing insects presents any more of a moral dilemma than killing bacteria. I think morality begins when nervous systems become complex enough to allow abstract conception, like social existence, mental anguish, and such.

That's a really great story. And I don't think killing insects presents any more of a moral dilemma than killing bacteria. I think morality begins when nervous systems become complex enough to allow abstract conception, like social existence, mental anguish, and such.

You're post just caused me mental anguish. Thanks a lot.

It may have also caused me some abstract conception but I'm not sure because I don't know what it means. Apparently I'm not complex enough and am somewhere between an insect and a duck egg.

You're all very lucky you didn't get addicted to Balut. I hear it's a very addicting delicatessen after the very first slurp.

You're post just caused me mental anguish. Thanks a lot.

It may have also caused me some abstract conception but I'm not sure because I don't know what it means. Apparently I'm not complex enough and am somewhere between an insect and a duck egg.

Will rep when I can.

Thy breed in box elder trees - if you can find the tree and get rid of it, that will help.

And it's certainly not just brick houses, I have a cedar-sided house and had a huge infestation last fall and again in the spring. Once I got rid of the tree that was growing right long the south side of my house, they eventually disappeared. I thought I was finished with them, but they're back - though not nearly as bad as before. I'm hoping the latest ones are those that had been dormant from before.

I had one land on the edge of my coffee cup just as I was about to take a sip of coffee. One also got baked in the oven. I didn't feel the least bit sorry!

So does anyone else call these things firebugs?
boxelder%20bug.jpg

THEY'RE BACK - - the scourge of our recent warm weather...

the best thing about them is the little POP sound they make when you squish them

My neighbors had a detached shed full of grains that attracted mice, who bred and built mouse heaven. It was nasty. You walk in there and see at least 50 mice in the open and hundred behind everything. We went in once armed with pool sticks and clubbed probably 100 of them.

We plotted to catch some and launch them with balloon launchers at the police station but never actually did it. If I were a kid again I doubt I would pass this opportunity up twice.

why do you need to be a kid? just call yourself a scientist and say you're doing an experiment.

why do you need to be a kid? just call yourself a scientist and say you're doing an experiment.

I still do really stupid things occasionally when I get too drunk. I'll keep this in mind if I get harassed by the cops. "I'M A SCIENTIST!"

anyone have an arsenal powerful enough to wipe out the latest infestation of these annoying critters invading my house?

I feel no remorse for squishing them to death. But it's so tedious and I can only get one at a time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk