What's new

BREAKING NEWS - Minnesota telling other teams they're taking Enes Kanter at #2 over D-Will 2

Per Chad Ford

The Wolves continue to debate between Derrick Williams and Enes Kanter at No. 2. However, it appears that Williams still holds a slight edge there despite the fact that the Wolves are beginning to tell teams they're taking Kanter. While I do think the Wolves are strongly considering Kanter, I think the fact that the news has gone public is an attempt by Minnesota to see if Kanter generates more trade interest than Derrick Williams did.

https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/category/_/name/draft-reports

Can you say Smoke Screen?

No it hasn't. Earlier, Minn said they are considering taking Kanter and now they are reporting it to other teams...

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?6468-Latest-draft-buzz-The-top-five-picks-...

Made before this one.

The link in THAT thread, https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/30601/latest-draft-buzz-the-top-five-picks , clearly states that Minnesota is telling teams they're taking Kanter at #2 and had been posted in AT LEAST two other threads that I saw before you made this one.

EDIT: I also saw this long before you decided to do the BREAKING NEWS garbage.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214275/Wolves_Begin_Telling_Teams_They_Will_Select_Kanter

I guess I don't feel the self promoting urge to do the BREAKING NEWS nonsense when I see stuff like that.

Just tweeted by KySportsRadio and DraftExpress.

129179219313456300.jpg

But in all reality, this is a smoke screen. Kahn is leaking out everything he possibly can so that teams will keep calling and up their offers. All he's going to do is decide which one is the best offer tomorrow then trade the pick. Book it.

Would they really screw with Williams head like that one day before the draft? I think its pretty legitimate. They need a talented center more than another SF or PF.

No it hasn't. Earlier, Minn said they are considering taking Kanter and now they are reporting it to other teams...

If you believe anything David Kahn says then....can you give me $10,000 to start up a business that will eventually get you $100,000 in return?

It's a smoke screen to get trade offers. Nothing more.

The news just broke for me... The question is - why would the wolves do that?

Possible answers are:

a) So whatever teams have been pitching the Jazz to swap picks for Kanter will now call the Wolves and offer a similar deal.

b) So teams that have a deal lined up with the Jazz will balk, thinking the Jazz are likely to take Williams.

c) To bait the Jazz by saying, "If you want Kanter, you need to deal with us." Except that the Jazz would just say, "No worries. We'll take Williams."

Whatever the case, it really looks like the Wolves are not thrilled about drafting Williams and are so desperate to trade the pick that they're now sending out the Katner story the night before the draft.

I don't get it. Why would this be a somke screen to generate more interest? I mean, wouldn't then teams want their #2 pick the same REGARDLESS who they are picking? If Irving is Cav's choice, and Wolves announce they pick some 2nd round scrub with #2, why would this change the value of their pick? Whoever gets it still would get anyone they want at #2. It does change the value of #3 pick though and perhaps #4, but not #2 pick. What am I missing here?

The news just broke for me... The question is - why would the wolves do that?

Possible answers are:

a) So whatever teams have been pitching the Jazz to swap picks for Kanter will now call the Wolves and offer a similar deal.

b) So teams that have a deal lined up with the Jazz will balk, thinking the Jazz are likely to take Williams.

c) To bait the Jazz by saying, "If you want Kanter, you need to deal with us." Except that the Jazz would just say, "No worries. We'll take Williams."

Whatever the case, it really looks like the Wolves are not thrilled about drafting Williams and are so desperate to trade the pick that they're now sending out the Katner story the night before the draft.

When has a team flat out lied like this one day before the draft to simply gauge trade value? If you can give me a historic example I might believe it would be credible.

I don't get it. Why would this be a somke screen to generate more interest? I mean, wouldn't then teams want their #2 pick the same REGARDLESS who they are picking? If Irving is Cav's choice, and Wolves announce they pick some 2nd round scrub with #2, why would this change the value of their pick? Whoever gets it still would get anyone they want at #2. It does change the value of #3 pick though and perhaps #4, but not #2 pick. What am I missing here?

It's an interesting point. Oftentimes, however, trades will happen after picks are made, and the 'Wolves are saying we're taking Kanter #2 if no one trades with us before draft night, so line up your offers for after we draft him.

Jonathan Givony: A wise GM says: "The fact that Minnesota is pushing this Kanter at 2 stuff so hard tells me that it has absolutely no chance of happening."

Kahn being Kahn methinks.

The T'wolves want to bait other teams who are interested in Kanter that those teams need to deal with them instead of the Jazz. It could give them a couple more trade offers to look at. But yeah, I don't think it makes much difference. Lots of teams want the #2 pick regardless.

They can call them regardless. If they get their pick, they can pick ANYONE but Irving. Your theory makes no sense.

but seriously, if you're the wolves, would you rather take kanter or williams? i think the answer should be clear...