What's new

Breaking Out

Which of our young players are set to break out in 2013/14?

• Total voters
the term breaking out would mean the biggest increase from last year and that has to be burks.

I think defenses will forget about burks the most. I think a lot will key on Hayward. until the jazz can hit 3s they will pack the lane on favors and kanter.

Not necessarily. A player who averaged 1 pt per game and then increased to 5 (400%) wouldn't necessarily be more of a breakout than a player who went from 7 to 14 (100%). Alec averaged 7 pts in 18 mins. I see him getting perhaps 25 mins/per. Maybe he goes from 7 to 12.

By comparison, Kanter averaged 15 mins last season. ONLY Evans and Murphy averaged less in the games they played. If talking total minutes, drop Watson behind Kanter as well. Still, it's amazing Enes played as little as he did. Well, maybe not, considering Ty and Al had a bromance going on all season.

Hayward has already put up nice production in a good amount of minutes so if he were to have a "break out" year he'd be an all-star which would be very nice. That said I expect marginal improvement from him. Any of the other 3 could. I would say Burks, but I think Rush will be the favorite for minutes if he's healthy. Plus I don't trust Corbin and I think we'll see RJ at times take minutes over Burks. I'd say either Favors or Kanter really shine. I'm a little nervous about Kanter being as productive against 1st teams so I think he may have some growing pains next year, but Favors' defense should be stout right off the bat and he'll just get more confident with the increase in minutes. I expect a lot of fouls early in the season, but I think he starts to figure it out as the season plays on.

Don't know if any of them will have a break out year. Of the four I think Kanter has the best shot and we could see an interesting Hayward/Kanter offense.

It all depends on Corbin's system and pace the team plays. If we play the same offense, one low post player playing 15 sec, if double comes, pass to forward system Kanter will be the man without a doubt. He's already good rebounder too so big impact can come easily. Add the fact that he can be perfect pick and pop weapon too. If somehow we can fix PnR and use Favors, he can make lots of fans surprised easily. Add some offensive glasses for him, he can surpass Kanter due to min. But he generally sacrifices himself on defensive side so, it's not wrong to think Kanter can stay on the floor more than him and increases his stats. Hayward will be the most efficient player due to his stats (Not just scoring but assists, boards, steals too) but it still again depends on Corbin. If somehow he can achieve to use him as ball handler in PnR situations, he can shine as we all wish. For Burks, he's gonna go ahead scoring inefficiency. Some iso plays, turnovers, quick threes etc.

I think Hayward breaks out this year, and then Kanter the next. I believe those are the two best players on the team and the guys they build around moving forward. Favors and Gobert are both defensive bigs. Burke and/or Neto will get a shot at being the long-term floor general. Maybe Favors or Burks blows up, but I'd be surprised if that happens.

I like and respect everyones opinions on this topic.

I think it is quite exciting that so many people have so many different ideas/expections of what the core 4 (5) are going to be capable of next year.

Unpredictability is something that jazz have not had very often over their history as a franchise, and it is especially fun this season (and offseason)

I think it is quite exciting that so many people have so many different ideas/expections of what the core 4 (5) are going to be capable of next year.

Unpredictability is something that jazz have not had very often over their history as a franchise, and it is especially fun this season (and offseason)
Another good post from Fishon.. he's on fire today.

Do you respect my opinion on Burke?

Do you respect my opinion on Burke?

I think you are a little over the top on your criticism of burke (as I have some of the same concerns/issues with burke that you do)
I just think you should tone it down a bit. (And honestly you have eased up since SL is over)

I think you are a little over the top on your criticism of burke (as I have some of the same concerns/issues with burke that you do)
I just think you should tone it down a bit. (And honestly you have eased up since SL is over)

Good to know.

I voted favors. I think kanter is a year away, and to me Hayward has already broken out. Hay is a solid, solid player. I think this is the year we see that favors is going to be an all star. I think burks is a mystery, if only because I don't know that the org supports him all that well. It might be merited, but we don't know right now what type of nba player he is going to turn out to be.

Hayward and favors seem like sure things to me, and kanter has potential to be a super star.

Who are they? Don't you think Burke is going bust big time? I haven't heard anyone else say that he will be a total bust. Efficient backup to mid level starter is usually what people say his floor is. Most people seem to think he is like mike Conley with a little better scoring. That is not a bust.

Who are they? Don't you think Burke is going bust big time? I haven't heard anyone else say that he will be a total bust. Efficient backup to mid level starter is usually what people say his floor is. Most people seem to think he is like mike Conley with a little better scoring. That is not a bust.

My honest opinion on burke: conley is what I hope he can be (best case scenario)
Jameer nelson level of player is what I believe to be likely
Dj augustine is worst case scenario.

In other words.... your post is spot on and I didn't really need to elaborate.

Keep up the good work

I know I'm the vocal one but there have been a few others who have let me know that they agree with my assessment of Burke.

If he turns out to be a back up PG everyone will complain that the Jazz used 2 first round draft picks for a back up PG.

I know I'm the vocal one but there have been a few others who have let me know that they agree with my assessment of Burke.

If he turns out to be a back up PG everyone will complain that the Jazz used 2 first round draft picks for a back up PG.

Lol, well at least we didn't draft another Marvin Williams. Even a good backup point guard would be less disappointing than him.