What's new

Buffalo Shooting

It has become a pattern too big to ignore; Trump supporters are the #1 domestic terrorists in the country. All these people are nutcases. But it’s the hateful racist rhetoric that Trump and his propaganda apparatus emit, that radicalizes these folks. And it’s Trump’s party that has created such a corrupt gun culture in this country that also writes our absurd gun laws.

He most likely went to a D dominated area and shot it up. He also attempted to enter a synagogue. It’s domestic terrorism and I’m getting sick of it.

This piece really summarizes my thoughts

I think describing him as simply a Trump supporter misses the big picture of this shooter and others like him. This is a really good thread summarizing the internet subculture churning out mass murderers.

View: https://twitter.com/DSRWnews/status/1544335108848685057?t=rHfHN4SN-LeJpxDsnkCSng&s=19

I think describing him as simply a Trump supporter misses the big picture of this shooter and others like him. This is a really good thread summarizing the internet subculture churning out mass murderers.

View: https://twitter.com/DSRWnews/status/1544335108848685057?t=rHfHN4SN-LeJpxDsnkCSng&s=19

I don’t disagree that there are online subcultures that are just sewers where nutjobs find connection and spew hatred and misinformation. You see this all the time on Facebook. But it’s Trump and his RW apparatus that is connecting these lonely (white) males together. It’s not that dissimilar from the radicalization and recruitment of the loser males in the Middle East throughout the late 90s and early 2000s and Al Qaeda.

We really shouldn’t underestimate the echo chamber Facebook, podcasts like Joe Rogan and Steve Bannon, Fox News, 8 Chan, and Trump have created that are radicalizing Americans against their fellow man.

But it’s Trump and his RW apparatus that is connecting these lonely (white) males together.
I don't think this is all that accurate. Support of Trump is a part of the patchwork of beliefs held within these movements (inasmuch as they can be said to believe anything at all). But I don't think its like, the central thing that brings these types together.

I don't think this is all that accurate. Support of Trump is a part of the patchwork of beliefs held within these movements (inasmuch as they can be said to believe anything at all). But I don't think its like, the central thing that brings these types together.
I agree. Trump made it acceptable to be open about this stuff, but it was all there before he ran for President.

Yeah, there’s a right wing apparatus already established for this sort of thing. I don’t think Trump is some type of genius or mastermind. Christianity to a certain point grooms people for right wing authoritarianism. Technology aids bad actors too, folks like Tucker, Bannon, etc reach millions and Facebook algorithms make sure that millions more (only) see this content. No one can discount Fox News and its ability to turn millions upon millions of fellow citizens into drooling hate filled rage addicts. It’s a propaganda machine not seen in any other industrialized democracy. Only comparisons can be found in poor and/or authoritarian regimes. Trump didn’t build Fox News but he sure as hell has been able to exploit it (and they him).

What I’m saying is that Trump gave these bad actors and bad theories the thin veneer of political acceptance. Replacement theory suddenly becomes “funny” when you’re so ridiculous about it, saying “******** countries” and telling blacks reps to go back to Africa. Trump is a perfect carrier for authoritarianism because he’s so ridiculous. He can’t really mean what he says because he’s an entertainer. He allows your own immigration to fill the void. “He didn’t literally mean that…”

Steve King was stripped of his leadership roles because of his racism. Because of Trump, you’ll never see any Republican stripped of their leadership because of their racism. If anything, the more blatant the racism the more popular they’d become. Not only that, but Trump gave people permission to act their worst selves and continues to intimidate those within the party who attempt to make a correction. Trump had a major hand in this. He gave evangelicals the power they’d been craving for decades but didn’t have under Reagan, Bush, even Bush II.

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bulwark-podcast/id1447684472?i=1000561942163

This is a great episode and I’d love to get your thoughts on it. If you don’t have time to listen, here’s his article:

Last edited:
Yeah, there’s a right wing apparatus already established for this sort of thing. I don’t think Trump is some type of genius or mastermind. Christianity to a certain point grooms people for right wing authoritarianism. Technology aids bad actors too, folks like Tucker, Bannon, etc reach millions and Facebook algorithms make sure that millions more (only) see this content. No one can discount Fox News and its ability to turn millions upon millions of fellow citizens into drooling hate filled rage addicts. It’s a propaganda machine not seen in any other industrialized democracy. Only comparisons can be found in poor and/or authoritarian regimes. Trump didn’t build Fox News but he sure as hell has been able to exploit it (and they him).

What I’m saying is that Trump gave these bad actors and bad theories the thin veneer of political acceptance. Replacement theory suddenly becomes “funny” when you’re so ridiculous about it, saying “******** countries” and telling blacks reps to go back to Africa. Trump is a perfect carrier for authoritarianism because he’s so ridiculous. He can’t really mean what he says because he’s an entertainer. He allows your own immigration to fill the void. “He didn’t literally mean that…”

Steve King was stripped of his leadership roles because of his racism. Because of Trump, you’ll never see any Republican stripped of their leadership because of their racism. If anything, the more blatant the racism the more popular they’d become. Not only that, but Trump gave people permission to act their worst selves and continues to intimidate those within the party who attempt to make a correction. Trump had a major hand in this. He gave evangelicals the power they’d been craving for decades but didn’t have under Reagan, Bush, even Bush II.

View: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bulwark-podcast/id1447684472?i=1000561942163

This is a great episode and I’d love to get your thoughts on it. If you don’t have time to listen, here’s his article:

Right, so my point is that the Highland Park shooter shouldn't really be looked at through a right/left, conservative/liberal perspective. I think the case that you're making is accurate for like, the buffalo shooter, but this dude wasn't a QAnon nut job or anything. This article is a good explainer on "schizoposting" culture - the bizarre movement(?) that he was a part of.

This dude was just a ****ed up nihilist, who found a community online of similarly ****ed up people, but I think for them Trumpism is just part of the aesthetic they have adopted.

Right, so my point is that the Highland Park shooter shouldn't really be looked at through a right/left, conservative/liberal perspective. I think the case that you're making is accurate for like, the buffalo shooter, but this dude wasn't a QAnon nut job or anything. This article is a good explainer on "schizoposting" culture - the bizarre movement(?) that he was a part of.

This dude was just a ****ed up nihilist, who found a community online of similarly ****ed up people, but I think for them Trumpism is just part of the aesthetic they have adopted.
I know that some groups of incels have been viewed and tagged as possible domestic terrorist by authorities. This kind of group think feeds on itself and grows until the members feel this kind of thing is not just ok, but necessary and right. It is terrifying. This is all enabled by social media moreso than in years past when they had to find ways to actually gather together. Now they can assemble an arsenal in the comfort of their own home, get hyped up talking to strangers on the internet, then leave when they have built up the courage and outrage enough to push them into the act. It is terrifying.

And yet… I bet we’ll see more accountability required from the school, its teachers, and its administrators than on police officers or the police department.
Which police department? There were four or five different departments involved at Uvalde, and no clear chain of command.

Which police department? There were four or five different departments involved at Uvalde, and no clear chain of command.
Good pt of clarification, law enforcement*. You’ll see I’m sure reforms are the school. They’ll “harden the target” with gun training for teachers, buckets of rocks, cameras, maybe even a new entrance and checkout procedure. Meanwhile, it’ll be interesting to see how law enforcement responds. My guess will be they’ll find a scapegoat (I know one leader has already resigned) and then flood their departments with more military hardware that they’ll refuse to use the next time a shooter with a powerful weapon threatens the community.

Good pt of clarification, law enforcement*. You’ll see I’m sure reforms are the school. They’ll “harden the target” with gun training for teachers, buckets of rocks, cameras, maybe even a new entrance and checkout procedure. Meanwhile, it’ll be interesting to see how law enforcement responds. My guess will be they’ll find a scapegoat (I know one leader has already resigned) and then flood their departments with more military hardware that they’ll refuse to use the next time a shooter with a powerful weapon threatens the community.

This contains a breakdown of the responding units. The Border Patrol tops the list. That explains a great deal.

Interesting. Hope to learn more about this. But it sure seems like the police didn’t like a disrupter trying to bring a change of leadership and culture to their dept.

You know what would’ve fixed this? Had this incoming freshmen been packing heat. Mooooooarrrrr guns!!!

Yeah but what happened? All the article says is he killed her. Nothing about any context. DId he just walk up to her and pull a gun and shoot her in the face or something? Did he think she was attacking him? Did she have a gun as well? Was she trying to break into cars? Did she sneak up on him with a knife? What the hell actually happened?

I am not a fan of publicizing stuff purely as inflammatory without some inkling of context. Makes me very skeptical.

Yeah but what happened? All the article says is he killed her. Nothing about any context. DId he just walk up to her and pull a gun and shoot her in the face or something? Did he think she was attacking him? Did she have a gun as well? Was she trying to break into cars? Did she sneak up on him with a knife? What the hell actually happened?

I am not a fan of publicizing stuff purely as inflammatory without some inkling of context. Makes me very skeptical.
It’s still being investigated. But the fact that we just have so many guns in society it’s going to create senseless killings like this where people angry over minor inconveniences use lethal weapons to extract their pound of flesh.

It’s still being investigated. But the fact that we just have so many guns in society it’s going to create senseless killings like this where people angry over minor inconveniences use lethal weapons to extract their pound of flesh.
If it becomes a lot more socially acceptable I may pay my ****** neighbor a visit.

If it becomes a lot more socially acceptable I may pay my ****** neighbor a visit.
LOL. What’s he doing to bug you?

We live in an HOA neighborhood (that has its own host of issues) but because of the HOA a lot of the stuff that irritates my parents (non-HOA) doesn’t happen.

Why would republicans vote against this? I thought they were concerned with mental health leading to mass shootings? If we’re not going to boost funding for mental health, can we ban the AR15 at least? Gotta do something, right?

View: https://twitter.com/thedemocrats/status/1575639818759012352?s=46&t=NdpNHc1hnWOqd_5FJ3uUdA

Because it isn't about the issues anymore. It's about voting against whatever the other guy wants no matter what. Cannot show weakness by not castigating the enemy at every opportunity. Our politics have devolved into Jr high School spats. They've lost all sight of their job being to do what's best for the country. All they care about now is blocking the other guy and getting reelected. That's it.