What's new

Build Around a Mitchell Future Game

LoPo

Since its obvious we might have a superstar on our hands, lets play a little game. Here are the steps you need to follow:

1. List who, from the current roster, is necessary to keep with Mitchell through next season. Necessary for the team, locker room, etc.

2. List who, from the current roster, is necessary to keep with Mitchell for as long as we can keep them.

3. Name 3 ideal realistic attainable targets over the next 2 years (by start of 2019 season). Don't waste our time with Durant, LeBron, etc.

Rules to this game -
- don't over explain. keep it simple
- allow people to have their own opinion
- only correct if the numbers don't add up

We can try to keep a running tally after we get enough input.

Sent from my [device_name] using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Ingles - we gotta let him do his thing for 2 years. I could see us trading him as an older expiring though
Exum - we need to see him one more full year before we give up on him.
Jerekbo - what a value
Royce - great contract, value guy
Neto - great value, getting better
Bradley - worth grooming

Gobert - even if we don't run plays for him, he is too essential as a rim protector and rebounder to let him go.

Jabari Parker - fits well next to Gobert and spreads floor for Mitchell to work. Scorer

Evan Fournier - great player to support Mitchell and spread floor. Could play with an Exum/Mitchell backcourt. Gobert's boy.

Klay Thompson - highly unlikely, but possible if Mitchell and Gobert provide the foundation for him to be a focal point.

1. Mitchell. I even want to say Exum for at least the first part of next season. His play at the end of last year and during summer ball finally started to show he could be pretty good for us. Now that we have Rubio, I pray nightly for a swift return of the Aussie. It's a shame his career has gone the way it has.
2. The players who remain necessary and do not become disposable e.g. DWill. At this point, how we've seen the Jazz play together, everyone but Mitchell could be used as trade assets to better the Jazz's roster. First I'd move Rubio and/or Favors. I'd entertain everyone else on the roster though if the right pieces were offered including Gobert.
a) Donatas Motiejunas could be a bargain piece to help spread the floor with Gobert. He's currently playing in Europe.
b) I'd make it a goal to get a top 10 pick in the draft, by either tanking or trades. I think next year's draft is pretty deep and that piece could give us more direction.
c) I'd explore signing a guy like PG. I think every team that could sign him should at least try. Unless we figured something out, it's very unlikely though. I'd still try.

Ingles - we gotta let him do his thing for 2 years. I could see us trading him as an older expiring though
Exum - we need to see him one more full year before we give up on him.
Jerekbo - what a value
Royce - great contract, value guy
Neto - great value, getting better
Bradley - worth grooming

Gobert - even if we don't run plays for him, he is too essential as a rim protector and rebounder to let him go.

Jabari Parker - fits well next to Gobert and spreads floor for Mitchell to work. Scorer

Evan Fournier - great player to support Mitchell and spread floor. Could play with an Exum/Mitchell backcourt. Gobert's boy.

Klay Thompson - highly unlikely, but possible if Mitchell and Gobert provide the foundation for him to be a focal point.

Forgot about Parker, but add him to my list too.

1. Ingles, Burks,
2. Gobert
3. George Hill, just gonna say Porzingis until/unless he signs another contract with the Knicks

1- Ingles
2- Rudy, but a healthy Hood would be great to pair with him at PG
3- Aaron Gordon (reaching on the realistic part), a playmaking/stretch 4 or big wing, but I'd want a young guy not established... Juan Hernangomez, Bobby Portis, Solomon Hill or someone coming out of the draft. Either Bridges.

1- Ingles
2- Rudy, but a healthy Hood would be great to pair with him at PG
3- Aaron Gordon (reaching on the realistic part), a playmaking/stretch 4 or big wing, but I'd want a young guy not established... Juan Hernangomez, Bobby Portis, Solomon Hill or someone coming out of the draft. Either Bridges.

Add Dario Saric and Kyle Kuzma to 3.

1. Since this is just through next season... Gobert, Hood, Rubio (as a mentor to continue to teach Mitchell to be a point), Jerebko, Neto, Udoh, Ingles, Royce, Exum (his trade value is floored so we could never get back something now that wouldn't be worth more if he finally develops).
2. Hood, Gobert, Ingles
3. Giannis! or Kawhi! (I shoot big). Kawhi isn't leaving the Spurs, but Giannis may or may not be convinced of the Bucks. He would be amazing in Utah. What I mean to say is that the list of attainable small forwards is not very good. If we can't sign a free agent to play along the current ROY leader then we need to find that piece in the draft again and develop him. I think we could do that if we could manage to pry the Nets pick from Cleveland for major luxury cap relief.

1. List who, from the current roster, is necessary to keep with Mitchell through next season. Necessary for the team, locker room, etc.

No one, we can build around him with a lot of options. Anyone could be traded for the right piece. Exum and Gobert are the main two that probably are the best fit since I doubt we could get enough return to warrant trading them.

2. List who, from the current roster, is necessary to keep with Mitchell for as long as we can keep them.

No one, we can build around him with a lot of options. Anyone could be traded for the right piece. Most likely player is Gobert to keep. Hopefully Exum joins this list.

3. Name 3 ideal realistic attainable targets over the next 2 years (by start of 2019 season). Don't waste our time with Durant, LeBron, etc.

I dont know. Most the people listed are probably not realistic or not that good to matter. I dont know who is available. I would take a swing at Parker, Oubre, Gordon or Wiggins. Although I doubt any of those are attainable. Maybe Oubre. Or try for someone higher if they become available. Or build with what we have and some minor changes.

Get what you can for Favors and Rubio, tank the rest of the season for Mikal Bridges. Let cake bake a little. Extend Burks in the off season if he keeps this up the rest of the year. Keep an eye on Klay Thompson in 2019, Oubre as a runner up.