What's new

Burke overreaction retraction action gaining some traction.

He's never going to grow if he doesn't fail. You can teach him not to get into that situation, and that makes for a good ball player. But he's already a good ball player. The only way he's going to be great is if he knows how to get un-stuck when he ends up there.

If Burks could only teach him how to drive into a quadruple team and still make some circus shot that would really improve his game, but he has time.

I do agree with time he will tighten things up and make better decisions. I think he's going to be fine.

He looked better than he did in summer league, but 5-14 with only 2 Reb and 3 AST isn't really a great performance, unless we're comparing it to SL. While he did have some nice passes, and did run the offense a lot better than he has in the past, his antics forced Gordon into being the PG out there, hence Gordon's 8 AST. I was also a little troubled that our rookie PG took the most FGA's out of all our players, that doesn't seem right.

I saw improvement tonight, and that was heartening. Bu I am going to need to see some more PG skills from the kid before I start jumping up and down for joy.

https://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400491510

I don't think his antics forced Hayward into the pg role. Corbin and the team wants Hayward to do that. And I think it will help Burke taking some pressure off of him.

Technically he shot 5-13, one of his misses was a late quarter full court heave. 5-13 is 38%. Which is what we can probably expect for a lot of the games from Trey. Rookie PGs always shoot like ****.

Looked a lot better, but still early, and still looking to shoot too much. He did ok on Curry, but Curry is not a big strong PG but a finesse player. He's likely to have trouble with physical points like Deron and Lawson.

Technically he shot 5-13, one of his misses was a late quarter full court heave. 5-13 is 38%. Which is what we can probably expect for a lot of the games from Trey. Rookie PGs always shoot like ****.

Yeah, I expect that as well. The percentage wasn't unsettling, since he's a rookie PG, but rather how many shots he took (most on the team).

I don't think his antics forced Hayward into the pg role. Corbin and the team wants Hayward to do that. And I think it will help Burke taking some pressure off of him.

I know the FO and coaches have asked Gordon to use his playmaking skills more this season, but I find it hard to believe we drafted Burke to be a shoot-first PG (if so, why not draft CJ McCollum?) Burke is suppossed to be the PG, while Burks and Hayward are suppossed o assist with playmaking. When Burke starts being the PG, he'll get more of my praise.

Don't get me wrong, Burke did better, but he still has a long ways to go. Does that make me a Burke hater? No. I'm just not a Burke homer. I think it's a little too premature for the Burke homers to be saying "I told you so."

Looked a lot better, but still early, and still looking to shoot too much. He did ok on Curry, but Curry is not a big strong PG but a finesse player. He's likely to have trouble with physical points like Deron and Lawson.

With Hayward playing point forward I am fine with him shooting about 10-13 times a night. As long as it is structured and part of the O.

Yeah, I expect that as well. The percentage wasn't unsettling, since he's a rookie PG, but rather how many shots he took (most on the team).

I know the FO and coaches have asked Gordon to use his playmaking skills more this season, but I find it hard to believe we drafted Burke to be a shoot-first PG (if so, why not draft CJ McCollum?) Burke is suppossed to be the PG, while Burks and Hayward are suppossed o assist with playmaking. When Burke starts being the PG, he'll get more of my praise.

Don't get me wrong, Burke did better, but he still has a long ways to go. Does that make me a Burke hater? No. I'm just not a Burke homer. I think it's a little too premature for the Burke homers to be saying "I told you so."

I think they intend for Burke and Hayward to split the playmaking burden.

Of coursre I knew all along that he would be fabulous. :rolleyes:
=======================================================
I think the Jazz have found a clever way to play the rookie pg while also bringing him along slowly. Trey Brings the ball up and passes to Hayward, then runs through as Hayward starts the offense. I think it is brilliant, and it is fortunate they have Hayward to initiate. I expect this to be a dynamic and constantly changing arrangement through the season and even game to game depending on match-ups. Some games Trey may be called on to do more, other games less. As he learns and gains confidence he will be able to do more.

But is it really point forward when Hay is back at the 2?

Call it what ever you want but Hayward was running a large part of the offense last night and I think that is something we will continue to see. So a good portion of Burke's shots will be part of the offense. I am fine with that.

Call it what ever you want but Hayward was running a large part of the offense last night and I think that is something we will continue to see. So a good portion of Burke's shots will be part of the offense. I am fine with that.

I tyhink we will too, and I thin HAy is very effective at it.

I am also fine with it. I just don't want our rookie having the most fga's every game, it's a bad habit for him to form.

All in all, Trey looked a lot better out there, and as I said before, I was heartened by his performance.

Burke played better than I expected. I am not ready to anoint him as ROY but he did surprise me. I am interested to see if he gets better over the preseason.

But is it really point forward when Hay is back at the 2?
So... he's a point swingman. Yeah, that works, i guess. It is nice that when Trey is thinking 'i got nothing, just trying to not screw up', he can pass the ball to Hayward basically saying 'you take this one, i gotta regroup'. It doesn't sound cool, but it's better than him getting trapped and losing the ball. I liked what I saw from him and think he'll come around.

I know its WAY too early but ...

Dennis Schroeder continues to look really really good.:(

Stats I have seen posted for him show him shooting a bad percentage and turning the ball over a lot.
I have heard that he has played good defense thougj

Stats I have seen posted for him show him shooting a bad percentage and turning the ball over a lot.
I have heard that he has played good defense thougj

I watched about 5 minutes of the game last night and saw Schroeder turn it over twice on consecutive possessions.