What's new

Calling the shot

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
There was talk about a Kevin Love buyout from some report a couple weeks back. Honestly, it makes no sense, but is funny that it got reported as such. Beyond this season, Love is still owed $60-someodd million. Winning and legacy is important, but $60M is a lot. But I'm not here to talk about Kevin Love. I'm here to talk about the next most unreasonable thing. Something that is only possible if you believe in more supernal powers watching over us. Something only possible with good luck or black magic. Things like the Avengers saving the universe, Jack Burton killing David Lo Pan, or Bruce Willis saving the world from an asteroid. I'm talking about the post-deadline buyout of Otto Porter, Jr.

1_HbKvgoONLke1kz_wIPv7dw.0.jpeg

Now, I know what you're thinking. Why on earth will this happen? OPJ is not an aged vet on his last legs chasing a title. Chicago has no need to buyout a guy when they may very well be contending for a play-in. But let's talk about the improbable.

"For Dennis Lindsey so loved the franchise, that he gave his only top-5 pick, that whosoever would taketh him would in return give Jordan Clarkson."

DL spent the past two decades grooming Exum, awaiting that sweet day of vindication. But all this time DL thought he was going to witness Dante Exum rise like The Phoenix, what he came to discover is that Jordan Clarkson is The Phoenix, rising from Exum's ashes.

phoenix.jpg

DL was able to trade a guy averaging 2.2 points per game for a guy who's now dropping 18 points per game for us. But DL took great heat for his insistence on keeping Exum, and when you only see one set of footprints in the sand, those were the times DL carried Exum when he couldn't walk.

So too today. Dennis Lindsey has taken significant heat for trading away all of our second round picks through 2036, only because small minded people's inability to see the end from the beginning. Quin, himself, has also come under fire for his plethora of unused coach's challenges.

4x0p7v.jpg

But DL and Quin have not done this without purpose. They have been utilizing these assets as offerings unto the gods. The striking down of second round draft picks has only made them more powerful.

But now? Now the time has arrived for redemption.

brimley.jpg

Buckle up, because things are about to get lit.

There was talk about a Kevin Love buyout from some report a couple weeks back. Honestly, it makes no sense, but is funny that it got reported as such. Beyond this season, Love is still owed $60-someodd million. Winning and legacy is important, but $60M is a lot. But I'm not here to talk about Kevin Love. I'm here to talk about the next most unreasonable thing. Something that is only possible if you believe in more supernal powers watching over us. Something only possible with good luck or black magic. Things like the Avengers saving the universe, Jack Burton killing David Lo Pan, or Bruce Willis saving the world from an asteroid. I'm talking about the post-deadline buyout of Otto Porter, Jr.

1_HbKvgoONLke1kz_wIPv7dw.0.jpeg

Now, I know what you're thinking. Why on earth will this happen? OPJ is not an aged vet on his last legs chasing a title. Chicago has no need to buyout a guy when they may very well be contending for a play-in. But let's talk about the improbable.

"For Dennis Lindsey so loved the franchise, that he gave his only top-5 pick, that whosoever would taketh him would in return give Jordan Clarkson."

DL spent the past two decades grooming Exum, awaiting that sweet day of vindication. But all this time DL thought he was going to witness Dante Exum rise like The Phoenix, what he came to discover is that Jordan Clarkson is The Phoenix, rising from Exum's ashes.

View attachment 10266

DL was able to trade a guy averaging 2.2 points per game for a guy who's now dropping 18 points per game for us. But DL took great heat for his insistence on keeping Exum, and when you only see one set of footprints in the sand, those were the times DL carried Exum when he couldn't walk.

So too today. Dennis Lindsey has taken significant heat for trading away all of our second round picks through 2036, only because small minded people's inability to see the end from the beginning. Quin, himself, has also come under fire for his plethora of unused coach's challenges.

4x0p7v.jpg

But DL and Quin have not done this without purpose. They have been utilizing these assets as offerings unto the gods. The striking down of second round draft picks has only made them more powerful.

But now? Now the time has arrived for redemption.

View attachment 10267

Buckle up, because things are about to get lit.
I believe... help @infection my unbelief

When is lent? What’s everyone willing to personally give up to get OPJ bought out?

Lent started last week - I celebrated by having pork chops for dinner last night.

Not sure how many Catholics we have on here.
I celebrated by smoking a couple tri-tips.

Where is the Emperor from star wars meme? Strike down the second picks... it will make you stronger!!!

Also, I think that saguaro looks about the right size for Quin. Pricked and Stout!

he'll probably got to the Nets or one of the LA teams if he ever got bought out. our best option remains development from within. I'd like to see more minutes for Oni and Morgan

The Kevin Love buyout stuff was leaked to try and get some trade talks going. Rumors are that Portland and Dallas might be interested in a Love trade. (we'll see at the deadline if anything happens) Love for Timmy Hardaway Jr & J. Johnson works btw and leaves the Mavs with:

C- Porzingis, Marjanovic
PF - K. Love, Maxi
SF - W. Iwundu
SG - J. Richardson
PG - Luca, T. Burke

Not a bad 8 man lineup.

My understanding with Otto Porter Jr. is he's had ongoing back problems. Since the Bulls got him in the 18-19, 19-20 and 20-21 season - he's only played in 45 games.

A trickier and possibly much better option in my opinion might be Nicola Mirotic. He was rumored to sign for big money in Europe, which turned into only 5 mil per season (for a variety of reasons). He'd have to buyout the two years remaining on his deal, but I think the chance to play for more money and a contender could be enough to convince him to move again -especially to Utah where he wanted to play anyways. I think he could be one visit from Ryan Smith away to coming here.

At any rate, I bet the Jazz make A move at the deadline (March 25th) and it's going to be fascinating.

I’m like 80% sure we don’t make a move of any kind. I don’t see us doing something unless it’s an obvious upgrade over Niang/Oni and it costs us next to nothing. We will be like 4th in line for the buyout market at best. I don’t see a ton of buyout guys popping up. We don’t have contracts to help facilitate trade and don’t have young players or draft picks we can really cash in.

I’m fine with our squad currently. I just don’t see anything great opening up.