What's new

Can We Please Just Waive NWG?

Will teams want to bring in 10-days with covid?
Well you have to be at the minimum roster threshold... can only be at 13 for a few weeks... so you cycle through 10 days... could give one player multiple 10 days to limit the risk... but I think you are right that it is kinda risky.

Quick personal aside here... I received a positive test as well as two others in my house. Someone brought it to the family thanksgiving dinner so there roughly 10 of us that likely got it. One guy could come in and give it to the group pretty easily. Overall our symptoms are very mild and I certainly could play basketball if needed... we need to watch who we bring into the team bubble.

With regard to Shaq and other free agents... there are only like 30 roster spots left right now... many will go unfilled as teams cut cost and sub in two-way guys so there likely will be some guys that are unsigned that should be. Had we given ourselves a little more wiggle room we could pick up a guy on the cheap... It likely doesn't matter, at least I hope so.

Cy mentioned it earlier...Euro league started... not sure what the Chinese basketball league is doing, but there might not be a lot of places for these guys to go. I might try and see if I could sneak a guy or two on two year minimums if I was the Jazz to take advantage of the situation. Shaq or Shabazz Napier or Jordan McLaughlin would be the prime candidates. Might be able to get team options on some of the other fringe guys... weird market.

Was listening to the Hollinger and Duncan pod last night because I couldn’t sleep and John mentioned that the Jazz won’t pay the tax... they will likely waive NWG and do the 10 day contract dance @idiot talked about. I’m still not sure that alone would make it possible... I’m not sure John has done the full math as he said we were like a million over the tax and it’s more like 1.7M.

I think they find a way to duck the tax and waiving or trading NWG non guaranteed salary will be part of that. I think a second part of the equation might involve trading Niang or Morgan for someone who was picked in the second round this year and signed a guaranteed contract... that will shave the additional $700k needed.

That is where I think this is headed.
Caught this too. Also had the same thought that Hollinger might be missing something in his math (wonder if he was relying on Spotrac data, which was missing Morgan's contract?). Not really sure what I feel will end up happening. I think it will probably depend on how things look in the first few weeks of the season.

Caught this too. Also had the same thought that Hollinger might be missing something in his math (wonder if he was relying on Spotrac data, which was missing Morgan's contract?). Not really sure what I feel will end up happening. I think it will probably depend on how things look in the first few weeks of the season.
I don’t think he’s done a deep dive on the math was kinda shooting from the hip was my thought. Just thinks they are close enough and will figure it out.

Looks like Morgan has no contract, which is why it's just a hold on sportrac because they have early bird rights. His minimum. is at $1.4 M.

My guess is Udoka is not signing for 120% of his rookie scale, and either NWG or Morgan is not on the roster. That gets the Jazz under the tax.

With regard to Shaq and other free agents... there are only like 30 roster spots left right now... many will go unfilled as teams cut cost and sub in two-way guys so there likely will be some guys that are unsigned that should be. Had we given ourselves a little more wiggle room we could pick up a guy on the cheap... It likely doesn't matter, at least I hope so.

Cy mentioned it earlier...Euro league started... not sure what the Chinese basketball league is doing, but there might not be a lot of places for these guys to go. I might try and see if I could sneak a guy or two on two year minimums if I was the Jazz to take advantage of the situation. Shaq or Shabazz Napier or Jordan McLaughlin would be the prime candidates. Might be able to get team options on some of the other fringe guys... weird market.
First you’d have to overcome the idea that Shabazz doesn’t want our minimum or limited playing time in favor of being unemployed and unpaid this year. The next hurdle is getting over the idea that there’s no need to sign Shabazz because we have the chance to develop the next Shabazz (NWG), and you don’t want to just throw away all that time you’ve invested already in turning him into the next Shabazz.

Otherwise good thinking.

I have a feeling that the Jazz are not going to resign Morgan now that they have Udoka, so they have greater need now for a backup PG than a backup center, especially one who is undersized for the position.

I have a feeling that the Jazz are not going to resign Morgan now that they have Udoka, so they have greater need now for a backup PG than a backup center, especially one who is undersized for the position.
It does make more sense from a depth standpoint. We’re one injury away from possibly needing another PG. Hard to see a path for minutes for Morgan.

DL was pumping up Morgan in interviews though, so we’ll see. I do think it will be NWG or Morgan gone.

China is playing now. Ekpe must be hurt. Isaac Haas is playing over there. Jeff Withey is playing in Korea. Collinsworth and Jack Cooley are playing in Japan.

It does make more sense from a depth standpoint. We’re one injury away from possibly needing another PG. Hard to see a path for minutes for Morgan.

DL was pumping up Morgan in interviews though, so we’ll see. I do think it will be NWG or Morgan gone.
I agree somewhat on Morgan but NWG is two injuries away from playing. If Mike is out DM and Ingles function as pg. JC can kinda fake it for 10 minutes a night short term too. I think NWG is just there to be waived later for cap purposes. Jazz just had a bunch of layoffs too. If things don’t go well I could see a salary dump style move with Mike... I think we probably need to view this in non basketball terms and realize it’s all about the dolla.

I agree somewhat on Morgan but NWG is two injuries away from playing. If Mike is out DM and Ingles function as pg. JC can kinda fake it for 10 minutes a night short term too. I think NWG is just there to be waived later for cap purposes. Jazz just had a bunch of layoffs too. If things don’t go well I could see a salary dump style move with Mike... I think we probably need to view this in non basketball terms and realize it’s all about the dolla.

But NWG two injuries away because he's bad? If Mudiay was here, he'd be playing if Mike went down even though Ingles and Clarkson can handle it.

I know we had that argument (about a whole lot of nothing tbh), but thread title is a valid question and I agree with your conclusion. If NWG is two injuries away, he's not good enough or Quin doesn't have enough faith in him for it to matter.

But NWG two injuries away because he's bad? If Mudiay was here, he'd be playing if Mike went down even though Ingles and Clarkson can handle it.

I know we had that argument (about a whole lot of nothing tbh), but thread title is a valid question and I agree with your conclusion. If NWG is two injuries away, he's not good enough or Quin doesn't have enough faith in him for it to matter.

... yeah, I mean, we had a lot of PG health issues last year and NWG still didn’t play. And it’s not because we didn’t need someone else to play. This is why it’s absolutely pointless to have NWG be the 14th guy on the roster. I’d say it’s a novelty to have him, but there’s no novelty. If you have a guy on the roster that you wouldn’t play in even the most hypothetical of situations, then that guy shouldn’t be on the roster. Dude logged 50 minutes of game time last year. Got 2 minutes of playoff garbage time. Even signing Stockton would at least have novelty. So yeah, that’s the guy we’re keeping on the roster over RHJ, Shaq, Kyle Korver round 3, Lisa Leslie, Air Bud, Lil’ Bow Wow, or even Arnold Shwarzenegger’s ridiculous performance of Mr. Freeze. All would be more reasonable uses of that roster spot. Hell, even DL’s son getting signed would at least have the explanation of nepotism. And this isn’t a knock on NWG. Quin isn’t going to play him. I’m not arguing that he should, but having guys on the roster that the coach won’t play in any circumstance is pointless.

... yeah, I mean, we had a lot of PG health issues last year and NWG still didn’t play. And it’s not because we didn’t need someone else to play. This is why it’s absolutely pointless to have NWG be the 14th guy on the roster. I’d say it’s a novelty to have him, but there’s no novelty. If you have a guy on the roster that you wouldn’t play in even the most hypothetical of situations, then that guy shouldn’t be on the roster. Dude logged 50 minutes of game time last year. Got 2 minutes of playoff garbage time. Even signing Stockton would at least have novelty. So yeah, that’s the guy we’re keeping on the roster over RHJ, Shaq, Kyle Korver round 3, Lisa Leslie, Air Bud, Lil’ Bow Wow, or even Arnold Shwarzenegger’s ridiculous performance of Mr. Freeze. All would be more reasonable uses of that roster spot. Hell, even DL’s son getting signed would at least have the explanation of nepotism. And this isn’t a knock on NWG. Quin isn’t going to play him. I’m not arguing that he should, but having guys on the roster that the coach won’t play in any circumstance is pointless.
Don’t think of him as NWG... think of him as “the player occupying the 14th roster spot that will be waived and replaced with 10 day guys periodically in an effort to try and duck the luxury tax”.

Don’t think of him as NWG... think of him as “the player occupying the 14th roster spot that will be waived and replaced with 10 day guys periodically in an effort to try and duck the luxury tax”.
And through that lens, you could ask, “why would DL sign someone helpful like Shaq, only to waive him for guys on 10-days, that would be stupid,” and it will make DL look like a scheming genius.

Was listening to the Hollinger and Duncan pod last night because I couldn’t sleep and John mentioned that the Jazz won’t pay the tax... they will likely waive NWG and do the 10 day contract dance @idiot talked about. I’m still not sure that alone would make it possible... I’m not sure John has done the full math as he said we were like a million over the tax and it’s more like 1.7M.

I think they find a way to duck the tax and waiving or trading NWG non guaranteed salary will be part of that. I think a second part of the equation might involve trading Niang or Morgan for someone who was picked in the second round this year and signed a guaranteed contract... that will shave the additional $700k needed.

That is where I think this is headed.
I'm pretty sure we're paying the tax. Any 14th player keeps us over the tax. It's too risky to be at 13 in this covid climate. I also doubt the Jazz will go the 10 day contract route with covid around. The only way we might duck the tax is through an unexpected deadline trade.

I'm pretty sure we're paying the tax. Any 14th player keeps us over the tax. It's too risky to be at 13 in this covid climate. I also doubt the Jazz will go the 10 day contract route with covid around. The only way we might duck the tax is through an unexpected deadline trade.
It doesn’t make sense to stay barely over the tax though. And empty roster spot 14 provides as much risk assurance as NWG imo. It might require a bigger move but I’m absolutely watching this.