Are you in favor of Cannabis Legalization

• NO

• YES

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 5000

Are JazzFanz for or against the herb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm for the herb and I also think that even if you aren't for the herb (you don't partake) then you should still be for legalization since there is no downside and plenty of upside to legalization.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think saying there is no downside is a stretch but it's definitely far less dangerous and impactful than tobacco. Legalize it and tax the hell out of it, just like tobacco.

I think saying there is no downside is a stretch but it's definitely far less dangerous and impactful than tobacco. Legalize it and tax the hell out of it, just like tobacco.
I'm not saying there is no downside to marijuana and marijuana use I'm saying there is no downside to legalizing it.
You want less kids doing it? Legalize it then. It's much easier to get weed than it is to get alcohol if you're a kid.
You want less kids even trying it? Well a lot if kids try it because it's illegal. It's taboo. It's rebellious. So legalize it. Make is less cool/taboo.
You want less people doing meth and cocaine and crack etc? Well marijuana is a gateway drug in part because it's illegal. I'm already breaking the law smoking pot, might as well try some cocaine while I'm at it. Oh and my dealer has both! If it's legal and you use it then you haven't crossed over into illegal drugs yet. Oh and the dispensary doesn't have cocaine for ya.
You want violent criminals to stay in prison for longer instead of getting released way before their sentence was carried out? Then legalize it so there are no non violent pot related criminals in there taking up cells.
I could go on and on and on.
And then of course there are all the jobs that would be created from legalization, all the money to be used on so many things we need money for from the taxes like you mentioned, all the health issues (rheumatoid arthritis, glaucoma, etc along with help with sleeping and eating issues for people with cancer and whatnot) that it could help.
All the things on the side it could be developed and used for like paint, clothing, paper, rope, and hundreds of other things.
It actually cleans the soil that it grows in. It helps the environment by not needing to cut down trees for paper and things. I could go all day.

I mean can anyone think of a single downside? I would love to hear one.

I have a medical card so i'm thankful Utah stepped up and provided a legal way to get cannabis for those that qualify. It's a step in the right direction when places like Utah of all places are rolling out medical marijuana but its time to just fully legalize the damn thing.

You want less kids doing it? Legalize it then. It's much easier to get weed than it is to get alcohol if you're a kid.
You want less kids even trying it? Well a lot if kids try it because it's illegal. It's taboo. It's rebellious. So legalize it. Make is less cool/taboo.

It doesn't work that way. Alcohol consumption dropped during Prohibition, and there is every reason to think legalizing cannabis will/does increase consumption, including among kids. This is not an argument for keeping it illegal, just pointing out these two positions are false.

I mean can anyone think of a single downside? I would love to hear one.

There will also be an increase in people driving under the influence of cannabis.

That said, the negatives do not outweigh the positives.

It doesn't work that way. Alcohol consumption dropped during Prohibition, and there is every reason to think legalizing cannabis will/does increase consumption, including among kids. This is not an argument for keeping it illegal, just pointing out these two positions are false.

There will also be an increase in people driving under the influence of cannabis.

Alcohol prohibition versus weed prohibition is apples to oranges imo. Weed is simply easier to to transport and distribute and make. When alcohol was made illegal less people used it cause it was harder to get. Anyone who wants some weed right now can get it. I don't think legalizing weed will increase consumption because anyone who wants to cosume it right now easily can. In fact, due to taxing it, weed will likely be more expensive when legal therefore causing people to use it less. I disagree that more people would drive high. There is nothing stopping them from driving high while it's illegal. Also when it's legal I would think that better training for cops to detect a weed DUI would occur, there would be better equipment (ala breathalyzers for alcohol) to detect intoxication levels of weed, there would be more advertisements discouraging smoking and driving (like there are for drinking and driving).

Also if it were legal I would grow it in my own home and not even have to leave the house to acquire it which may cut back on smoking and driving where as someone drives to their dealers house to get the pot, smokes it there on the couch, then drives home. Instead you could grow your own (no driving) get it from a dispensary (can't smoke it there maybe? Not sure how that works) or simply get it delivered (no driving)

While I'm not terribly interested in trying it for recreational purposes, I do have medical conditions that currently are not covered under Utah's law but that might be helped down the road. So I'd rather it be legal personally so that if I need to go down that road I will be able to do so easily.

And if alcohol and tobacco are legal, there is little reason for marijuana to be illegal (spelled out well by others above).

While the number of people who consumed alcohol went down somewhat, the amount people who continued to drink consumed went up. Not only did their consumption go up, but prohibition significantly changed drinking culture in ways we still see today. Under prohibition beer and wine use decreased significantly while hard alcohol became the primary type of alcohol people consumed. Into the 50s and 60s hard alcohol consumption remained far more popular than it was pre-prohibition.

Likewise, we're seeing significant changes in the way people consume cannabis now that there are established legal markets. Edibles, vapes and tinctures are probably more popular now than smoking "flowers," aka the marijuana buds.

There has also been a decrease in the (mis)use of prescription opioids in places where cannabis is legal and I'll have to check, but I think overall drinking declines a bit along with a decline in drunk driving. Driving while high is NOT a good thing, but it's not as bad a thing as driving while very drunk.

But I've never been one to say marijuana is harmless. I think many people significantly underestimate its harmful effects while at the same time dramatically inflating its beneficial qualities.

Last edited:
While the number of people who consumed alcohol went down somewhat, the amount people who continued to drink consumption went up. Not only did their consumption go up, but prohibition significantly changed drinking culture in ways we still see today. Under prohibition beer and wine use decreased significantly while hard alcohol became the primary type of alcohol people consumed. Into the 50s and 60s hard alcohol consumption remained far more popular than it was pre-prohibition.

Likewise, we're seeing significant changes in the way people consume cannabis now that there are established legal markets. Edibles, vapes and tinctures are probably more popular now than smoking "flowers," aka the marijuana buds.

There has also been a decrease in the (mis)use of prescription opioids in places where cannabis is legal and I'll have to check, but I think overall drinking declines a bit along with a decline in drunk driving. Driving while high is NOT a good thing, but it's not as bad a thing as driving while very drunk.

But I've never been one to say marijuana is harmless. I think many people significantly underestimate its harmful effects while at the same time dramatically inflating its beneficial qualities.
Good post and I want to reiterate that I don't think weed is harmless. I think many people are better off not using it.

I think legalizing it is harmless however.

@JazzGal Cannabis tends to allows it's user to be less influenced by society, media, laws, group think etc.. - which authorities condones most those who aren't easily controlled. Cannabis can be a highly spiritually awakening aid. Something laughed at by many atheists who look to Government as their creator.

@JazzGal Cannabis tends to allows it's user to be less influenced by society, media, laws, group think etc.. - which authorities condones most those who aren't easily controlled. Cannabis can be a highly spiritually awakening aid. Something laughed at by many atheists who look to Government as their creator.
I think this is an almost entirely false and/or misleading statement. Maybe you can explain it in a more substantial way?

How does cannabis allow users to be less influenced by society, media, laws, group think? I've never noticed this tendency in myself or anyone else I've known who have used cannabis... and most people I've known have used cannabis either very regularly or at least did for some amount of time.

Please explain what you mean by "which authorities condones most those who aren't easily controlled." I assume this is a bit of a type-o and you meant condemns instead of condones, but regardless, this is a very 2-dimensional way of thinking about "authority."

I've never known cannabis to provide much spiritual awakening. I mean, I can imagine for some entering into the culture that cannabis is part of could have that effect in a more general way that being high might help to make "click" for a person whom is transitioning between very different cultural/social situations. But being high on pot is not like being on shrooms, or MDMA or acid. Many people act like it is sort of like that, but it really isn't in pretty much anyone I've ever known.

I don't know a single atheist who think the government is their creator.

I think this is an almost entirely false and/or misleading statement. Maybe you can explain it in a more substantial way?

How does cannabis allow users to be less influenced by society, media, laws, group think? I've never noticed this tendency in myself or anyone else I've known who have used cannabis... and most people I've known have used cannabis either very regularly or at least did for some amount of time.

Please explain what you mean by "which authorities condones most those who aren't easily controlled." I assume this is a bit of a type-o and you meant condemns instead of condones, but regardless, this is a very 2-dimensional way of thinking about "authority."

I've never known cannabis to provide much spiritual awakening. I mean, I can imagine for some entering into the culture that cannabis is part of could have that effect in a more general way that being high might help to make "click" for a person whom is transitioning between very different cultural/social situations. But being high on pot is not like being on shrooms, or MDMA or acid. Many people act like it is sort of like that, but it really isn't in pretty much anyone I've ever known.

I don't know a single atheist who think the government is their creator.
Ya I'm with ya. That was a confusing post

I did mean condemn lol not condone

the vast majority of it's users are breaking the law so... seems they aren't influenced by laws much.

It's a judgement call on my behalf that I stand by, the abstract thinking artsy types aren't signing up for the military. One who is spiritually aware has a state of loving inner peace and thus is less motivated by fear, the main tool used by authorities.

if you consumed the substance and had no spiritual insights then that's what's right for you, but you don't know any rastas? One love!

And someone physically hooked on something (alcohol tobacco condoned by government ha!) are in a very highly controllable state

I'm for it. Wish it didn't make me hurt though. It makes my muscles tight and increases my pain pain in my hip, back and everywhere. It does reset me me in some ways, but damn I wish I processed it a different way.

That said, saw this today.

Has this forum ever reached a consensus about anything ?

Wow!

So why isn't legalization apart of either of the major two political platforms?

Has this forum ever reached a consensus about anything ?

Wow!

So why isn't legalization apart of either of the major two political platforms?
I have no idea.
And furthermore, I think America should use the Democratic process better. Wouldn't it be nice if the legalisation of marijuana could simply be put to a vote?
I can guarantee that the majority would vote to legalize.

And to your point, any politician running for any office could grab a bunch of votes very easily simply by declaring that they would fight to legalize it.

I have no idea.
And furthermore, I think America should use the Democratic process better. Wouldn't it be nice if the legalisation of marijuana could simply be put to a vote?
I can guarantee that the majority would vote to legalize.

And to your point, any politician running for any office could grab a bunch of votes very easily simply by declaring that they would fight to legalize it.

There are still a lot that would vote against it. The reason you don't see it on the political platforms is because it is too divisive right now so no one wants to touch it. You'd get the old white guys go out to vote it down and the supporters... Wait that was today? Aww man. But I was sooooo baked! Right? Yeah man, yeah.

Couldn't resist. ;)