Cavs forums comments on the Exum trade

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Is this really the best value we could have gotten for JC? Jazz are doing this trade primarily to dump Exum's salary and have flexibility next year. JC being a good bench scorer is an added bonus not the other way around. I would have preferred to trade for a more risky/high upside prospect or better picks.

JC is a good bench scorer 50% of the time and the other 50% he can lose you a game. JC obviously has value, but I think this is a pretty fair return.

It's fair value when you add up the pieces. Exum + two 2nd rounders might equal a late first rounder but I'd rather have a late 1st rounder. We can do a lot with a 20th pick but not much with two 40th picks and a guy in his 5th season.

Assets dude. Assets.

The non-guaranteed contract is a plus for 2nd round picks. Plus, they can be used in trades...like THIS ONE. We all know that more deals are coming, and the more assets that the team might be able to use to make a deal a bit more advantageous for the team, the better.

Some decent rotation guys come out of the 2nd round too.

· 9 2nd round picks have played 100+ minutes this season (Paschall leading them all)

· Guys from the 2nd round in 2018: Brunson, Graham, Kurucs, Bruce Brown, Melton - All rotation pieces, and one guy playing his *** off (Graham).

You never know. Take the assets, do the right thing with them. The Cavaliers haven't shown that they don't know how to maximize the assets they've had so far. No reason to believe they can't moving forward.

Jordan Clarkson isn’t as good as everyone on this sub thinks. He’s been the best offensive player on a very bad team two years in a row. Someone has to score for the team even if they are bad.

Apparent that Utah doesn't think they'll be able to re sign Clarkson or Cavs might have gotten more in return.

This is def fair value. Getting 3 seconds for him or even a first when he’s an expiring is a little unrealistic. You wouldn’t even see that in a 2k MyLeague trade finder. And we’re still getting a young guy that could possibly pop with a new environment, but hasn’t been able to for a while now

I think trading JC for another Knight type god awful contract is what we should have done. Also, late 2nd rounders often don't end up playing in the league or at least no meaningful minutes.

We couldn’t though. We were 1.3 mill away from lux cap and didn’t have a trade exception to help. Not to mention there aren’t very many bad contracts left. Regardless, 2nd rounders are always helpful in trade negotiation

Excited to see what coach can get out of Exum offensively.

Hopefully he stays healthy. Apparently hes an excellent defender and I love that we have 2 big SGs now in Exum and KPJ

I posted something more detailed in the initial trade thread, but here's part of it. Full disclosure, I am an Aussie and have followed Exum fairly extensively over from 12 months pre draft to now. I'm fairly balanced but there is probably a slight amount of bias.

I feel like had he been freed up mentally by Coach Snyder rather than held on an extraordinarily short leash, and not yanked out of games constantly, often after his first turnover etc, but allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, whilst staying out on the court had a negative impact. He was a young kid in a foreign country, with little to no family in N.A(he has some family in Charlotte area), made it tough, not everyone is the same, some kids need more support and help than others.

Of course injuries played a critical role, 2 ACL's, a fairly bad shoulder separation and a torn patella tendon. For a guy whose main initial strength is that quick first step and overall extreme speed, it's been rough.

Surprisingly from what I've noticed this year he hasn't lost much pace. Combined with a long wingspan, and a competitive spirit he's more than adequate on the defensive end, and can impact immediately.

Offensively he's worked incredibly hard on developing an outside shot, it hasn't really translated, he's improved in catch and shoot corner three's, put rarely knocks down pull up jumpers. His main offensive ability is slashing to the rim and is able to and willing to finish through contact, often heavy contact.

His floater is solid, and his playmaking and vision is probably around the league average for PG's.

He's a really good young fella, works hard and is very competitive, has had to deal with more than his fair share of setbacks and has remained positive.

Two ACLs is rough. Especially, because lateral movement is directly linked to ACL and a defensive player like Exum needs exceptional lateral movement. I really liked when we had Nwaba. Great defensive player and Cavs miss a player like that. I hope Exum can fill that role while providing better offense than Nwaba.

I wonder if we are trying to open up salary cap space to then take on a larger contract for more picks.

It’s like the main plot points of Avengers Endgame or the idea of killing off Luke, Leia, and Han. You reeeeeally don’t want it to happen but you know it has to happen in order to move on successfully

This is a trade to set up THE trade

Seems like Koby is gonna hoard 2nd round picks until he can flip them for a first rounder at the draft. Like how we got KPJ. I'm assuming that will mean taking on bad money since the Cavs don't have very many assets to trade.

Isn’t the 2021 free agent class supposed to be really good? Having an expiring contract that season to trade to someone trying to clear cap space could come in handy

Other way around. If Exum doesn't play his way into our future, then we can trade him to a team that's looking to clear cap space for 2021 free agents

If nothing else it creates a little flexibility for additional deals

And two second round picks.

I guess that’s good?

Honestly two second rounds and a flyer on a still young (if never healthy) player for Clarkson is pretty good value

Sure. **** it. Not bad if Exum can hit a little of his potential.

He won’t. We’re doing it for the picks and since we don’t need Clarkson.

He's got hope because of his size, defense, and he can assist the ball. Yes the injuries suck but that's bad luck. He's gonna be on a tanking team with no pressure and little structure.

Exum has missed like 3.5 in his 5 year career.

Why? Clearly Exum was doing less than Clarkson if the Jazz moved him and 2 2nds. Anything the Cavs get with Exum is gravy. This is basically Cavs moving Clarkson for 2 2nds and 4 million in cap this year while adding 9 mil next year.

Exum has been getting 6 mins stints to show what he's worth. I believe his confidence is shot. Can you fix it? Yeah probably. Physically, he's perfect. Injury wise, Cleveland clinic needs to invent a bubble and put it on him.

We have 5 years of info on him in a good system. In those 5 years, he’s shot 50% TS, and was a negative on both ends of the floor by all advanced stats. If he even becomes an average player, that would be an incredible turnaround.

I'm freaking out man

Honestly I don't get why teams trade even moderately valuable assets for second round picks. The majority of second round picks don't even turn into rotation players

If nothing else trading players for 2nds at least gets you cap space back

I should have called this trade. Always thought it was a good idea.

Was honestly expecting a first from a contender

I dont think too many contenders want a guy like Clarkson though. You have to be desperate for bench scoring for him to make much sense.

Contenders usually don’t have 10 mill in salary waiting to be moved either.

My guess is for defense and potential upside?

Exum is a young player who due to injuries and roster hasn't seen much playing time. It's a gamble for sure.

Wow, was not expecting that today

The Ball Gods giveth and taketh away.

Press F for Respect.

Gonna miss JC. Can remember games he won for us, can't think of any he lost. Will be happy to see him in the playoffs shredding Houston or Denver...

JC has been one of our best players this year for sure. Dude can flat out score. I’ll remember him fondly. More reason for me to watch the Jazz in addition to Conley.

YES FOR ANOTHER POINT GUARD WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED

Guard City.

Guard land

Guards run through Cleveland

he's big enough to defend the 2

you remember his defense on harden in the playoffs two years ago? He’s a beast defensively, something I can’t say about any other guard we have.

Yeah he's just the new Brandon Knight. Enjoy your stay in Cleveland while it lasts.

Gonna miss JC

The picks are so far away ):

Good trade for Utah. Bad for us. Thought we could get something better

I mean, we are getting someone who can do good with a change of scenery in exum and 2 seconds for someone that we more than likely weren’t gonna resign so I guess it’s okay.

Why would we trade for another guard. idk man don’t really get this trade but ok

Exum will for sure get less minutes than Clarkson did. Maybe even no minutes? Idk last I heard he wasn’t doing too hot

the last time i heard his name was when he was a main character in the 2k my career lol

Trade was about the two picks and a long shot flyer on exum was a throw in for salary purposes

I get that but isn’t there literally any other team we can get two seconds from and at least a player that isn’t a guard

Clearly their wasn’t another offer for Clarkson soo you take what you can get. He was never getting a 1 in return

i honestly would rather just take the 2 seconds tbh lol

Yea exum only included for salary purposes not trade value

Based on last drafts math 4 2nd rounders equal a late 1st round pick, at least we are half way there.

I'm not the biggest Clarkson fan but it's disappointing how this sub treats him.

Maybe he'll go to fan base that appreciates him? I don't really appreciate how he's become this sub's whipping boy even when he's having a career year.

I honesty have loved JC this year and last. He just gets hate for the 2018 finals

Most come out of the woodwork on his bad nights and just slander, while he doesn't get much appreciation on his good ones

I wish people would've seen him for what he was. An excellent 6th man. He wasn't supposed to create for others, he was supposed to try and keep the game close when the starters weren't in. He's who Sexton should try to be.

I’m not a big fan of Clarkson but he’s been having a pretty damn good season. Beilein was really getting the best out of him.

Kinda meh about what we got back for him.

E: apparently this may be step 1 of a slew of trades?

Clarkson has always been average.

Someone has to score. It just happened to be him. It’s no secret what kinda player Clarkson is n the league.

This is gonna really hurt the team. I was really thinking on getting his Jersey. He is one of the best bench players in the league and a great dude.

Exum can't even sniff the floor in Utah

If he makes Sexton a 6th man, we need to just fold the franchise

People who saying another guard. Who would come off the bench?? I dont think they're moving Sexton to the bench this season

I really don’t see this as an L for us. Dante is only 24 and hopefully he can turn his career around in CLE and 2 seconds for a player that wasn’t gonna be here long term anyways.

Exum cant even dress for Utah and hes not signed here long term to turn his career around.

This is an extended season cap dump and the seconds are years from now.

He’s actually signed to a 3 year 33 million contract. That’s not LONG term but he’s gonna be here for a little.

Hes expiring next yr, its still flexible

Defensive, but injury prone is the gist of his career.

Lightning quick, can blow by anyone in the open court and a strong defender 1 to 3, quite good on the perimeter. Was never given a chance to make mistakes and develop on court in Utah not surprisingly given the strength of their roster.

And he got like a 7 foot wingspan as a guard

We sucked before so what lol

You guys are missing the point Kevin Porter gets to play more. I think has some strong upside potential maybe even more than Sexton.

Exum and Delly, the Australian artillery will remind the East which team it runs through.

I'll miss Clarkson. He was a fun teammate and he kept us in games with 3rd/4th quarter popoffs. I'll miss watching him be that spark for a team that lacked that. Have fun, Jordan! Good luck & welcome, Dante.

Can already see the ‘Sexum’ comments inbound on game threads.

Oh **** this is ****in spicy and out of nowhere....but I like it.

Guards who are tall and play defense? Never in my life...

Lol people getting salty at “another year of contracts” for a team that won’t sign any FA anyway. Take the flier and add the picks to the pile... stop complaining

Dang, I'm actually going to miss Clarkson. Just had his best game of the year on Friday.

BALL THE **** OUT JC IM ROOTING FOR UTAH THIS OFFSZN

So people have been begging to trade JC, and when he finally gets traded people complain about the return?

I like it. Exum has potential for be a 3rd guard and 2 2nds could help in potential trades. Good move.

I guess it makes sense. Remember we traded a ton of second round picks for porter so I see why we needed the picks. Exum is still young so hopefully he gives us something. I also think the trade helps give porter more minutes and males room for windler when he comes back.

Wonder whose going to close out games since Clarkson would close them. Maybe we get garland to finally close or kpj

Thanks JC, you tried, welcome Dante!

The picks seem to be San Antonio's in 2022 and GS' in 2023, nothing to be excited actually

I think it's important to note that Exum has a defensive rating of 109 per 100 possessions. That's good for second best on our current roster (behind only John Henson).

Two second rounders and a guy that was once a promising talent I’ll take that. Meanwhile it frees up more time for Kevin Porter and hopefully Windler when he comes back healthy, as well as letting the young guys in the backcourt gel a little more.

****, not even a first pick though. Hope we can convert the 2nd round picks into a first round pick somewhere.

Delly has an ozzie bro now

Better deal for Utah than CLE, but still good enough.

Gives us a little breathing room for other deals this year, and a couple picks that can be thrown in to finish off some other moves if needed.

Not sure what Exum will be able to do for us, but change of scenery maybe helps.

Thing is we couldn't care less about cap space at the moment

NOOO

Oh no.. ffs.. :(

Give us all the Boomers. Patty Mills incoming.

Exum is 24 lol

It's slang for an Aussie, mate.

Oof.

I'd say its a win win for both us and them.

I think Exum will pleasantly surprise a lot of you nay-sayers. If he can stay healthy. More Aussie grit is always welcome, and Delly will definitely bring the best out in him.

I was at the game. As a diehard (and weirdo) i like to get there super early to watch players warming up. JC was the guy on the court ( and K Love ) from 5-6pm. All of a sudden i get an update he’s been traded.. kinda surreal feeling. Idk how to describe it

Ya idk how exum fits with us, but on paper I love it just because I've seen so much potential in exum, it looks like he only has the rest of this year and next on his contract which would be enough time to see if he is what I see but that moves to the main point of wtf another pg? When the hell are all these guys going to play? I guess this means we are sticking with the 2 pgs starting with Sexton and Garland or switch one for exum? And I guess 2 backup pgs?

It's just weird because anyone who watches the games I would think sees KPJ should be the starting SG and we see that Sexton should be a player that comes off the bench in the future, so we have an excess of pgs and we bring in another one?

However I'm glad to be rid of Clarkson, he has potential and certainly matured this year where he was much better at passing the ball, but it'll be more fun for me to watch the entire team without Sexton Sr. hogging the ball.

I haven't payed much attention to the Jazz this year, but from a Cleveland fan's perspective I feel like this is insurance on Conley's injuries and his struggles, and could even be a sign they want to move on from him, which I've wondered if he would be part of a 3 team deal where we take on Conley's contract for Love.

Cavs trying to improve ratings in Aussie market.

Exum sucks. But that’s ok. Might be more fun than Clarkson.

Reading on SLCDunks the Utah fans were pretty down on Exum, but also seem to value Clarkson pretty low. But they know their bench has been weak

I don’t think Exum’s particularly useful but I like piling up 2nd rounders we can parlay into late first rounders and draft dudes like KPJ.

And I’m not worried about paying Exum 9 mil next year. There aren’t any free agents worth spending money on anyway, and he’ll be another expiring contract we can deal next year.

Exum is a long shot to become anything with the Cavs, and the following is basically only looking for any silver lining in his play over his first 4,000 mins, and even if he did manage to put it together he still would be likely to miss lots of time and not be worth anything going forward, but in the spirit of irrational hope there is a little bit there for him.

His age 21-23 he played a bit over 2,000 combined mins and had one single bright spot in his offensive play: He averaged about the 97th percentile for guards in shots at the rim and around the 75th percentile for FTs per shot attempt, and did this on almost a 20% usg rate. Thats it, other than that he can’t shoot from anywhere on the floor being average shooting at the rim in that stretch, and below average in basically every other area on the floor (his FT shooting is fine though). His passing is largely erased by his TOs with under a 2:1 Assist to TO ratio despite having an average or below average usage.

His most likely shot at being a contributor offensively is actually in the vacant Jordan Clarkson role as an on ball/volume scorer who can work alone with limited help from teammates. Defensively he could be acceptable, but his complete lack of outside shooting makes it difficult to see him as a 3+d role player. To be useful at that with no shooting you have to be a great defender with tons of value like Andre Roberson had, not merely a decent defender.

Where he struggles is finishing but I’ve always thought that just comes with game experience. I think Cavs fans are going to be really surprised. Dante is quick as hell and a willing passer, if actually given an opportunity to run point he could easily be a 15 point 8 assist a night guy while playing really good defense.

I think the hope for Exum is that he can be a below average spot up guy from an efficiency standpoint, but average from a volume standpoint. Then he gives you solid defense and can handle the ball/facilitate a bit in a bind.

To clarify, this is what I think his upside is. Kinda like a poor man’s Rubio. Or what Batum used to be.

Looks like some Exum homers went there lol. "Worked extremely hard on his outside shot"??? "his main ability is to finish at the rim through a heavy contact" :D:D:D???

Hopefully he stays healthy.
Knock on wood dude. Lol
I honesty have loved JC this year and last. He just gets hate for the 2018 finals
Remind me what he did in the 18 finals?
I wish people would've seen him for what he was. An excellent 6th man. He wasn't supposed to create for others, he was supposed to try and keep the game close when the starters weren't in. He's who Sexton should try to be.
Exactly my thoughts.
Exum and Delly, the Australian artillery will remind the East which team it runs through.
Shooting blanks maybe.
Thanks JC, you tried, welcome Dante!
Oy!! That doesn’t exactly make me feel good lol.
it looks like he only has the rest of this year and next on his contract which would be enough time to see
We had him five years and still didn’t know. Lol. Good luck with that.

Where he struggles is finishing but I’ve always thought that just comes with game experience. I think Cavs fans are going to be really surprised. Dante is quick as hell and a willing passer, if actually given an opportunity to run point he could easily be a 15 point 8 assist a night guy while playing really good defense.
Looks like our beloved user jazz was able to sign up for cavs forum pretty quickly.

I wish Exum the best. He's lucky because they haven't seen the excuses in Cleveland yet- I'm sure the excuses can carry him for a few more seasons- I guess that is one benefit of the "fresh start". Many pro athletes will never understand how fortunate they are to get millions of dollars and countless opportunities to be successful.

I was an Exum homer. But he scored his last basket with 8 minutes left then disappeared? I thought he got a bit of a raw deal here and the injuries pretty much doomed him. But just because he scored there doesn't mean I now want him back. He needed a change and so did the Jazz.

I was an Exum homer. But he scored his last basket with 8 minutes left then disappeared? I thought he got a bit of a raw deal here and the injuries pretty much doomed him. But just because he scored there doesn't mean I now want him back. He needed a change and so did the Jazz.
He got subbed out.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using JazzFanz mobile app

he was subbed out and then came back in with about 3-4 minutes left and Sexton wouldn't pass him the ball. Didn't get another shot off