What's new

change the league rules

oldtimer

The league changed basketball forever when it instituted the no handchecking policy for guards. This increased free throws and helped give Kobe 20 three throws a game. I would like to see two more changes.

1. No handchecking or elbow bars for big men. Bigs can use their bodies to push people but any hand play is a foul. Using your body even if you run into people shouldnt be a foul unless that person is shooting. Still no movings screens though. Every rebound is a grab fest. Every post up play is a knock out fight. So much pushing and holding have all but eliminated the importance of bigs. Conversely if bigs could hit people with their bodies and not have it called a foul so long as no arms are used we could see the return of bigs to prominence. Im getting tired of the new defenses where a little gets switched to bigs and as soon as the big posts the little falls down and a foul is called. Let bigs be bigs but take away their swords (handchecking) and shields (elbow bars). Let men return to the game.

2. Please stop shooting so many free throws. It slows the game. My idea you get one free throw. Its worth 1,2 or 3 points depending on the situation. Tech.= 1 point. Foul the jump shooter the one free throw is worth 2 points. Foul a three point shooter the one free throw is worth 3 points. Ive just come to the point in life where I dvr almost everything and I fast forward the free throws. Certainly I'm not alone.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the offensive foul/block rule overhauled.

I'm so tired of watching watching players jump in front of someone or underneath someone in order to draw a foul. Or any kind of purposely trying to draw a foul like swinging your arms into theirs to draw contact. It's so stupid imo. And it hurts basketball. It's also very dangerous and just gets people hurt. It's bs to jump underneath someone in the air.

If you are initiating the contact it should be a foul on you, no matter how it looks.

The game would be so much funner to watch without it.

Drawing fouls basically says, hey I'm not good at basketball, but I'm good at acting. So stupid!!!

2. Please stop shooting so many free throws. It slows the game. My idea you get one free throw. Its worth 1,2 or 3 points depending on the situation. Tech.= 1 point. Foul the jump shooter the one free throw is worth 2 points. Foul a three point shooter the one free throw is worth 3 points. Ive just come to the point in life where I dvr almost everything and I fast forward the free throws. Certainly I'm not alone.

That's a very interesting idea that I hadn't heard before. I'm like you--I usually DVR the games and give myself a bit of a cushion before I start watching so that I can fast forward the free throws and commercials.

Let me clarify my proposed rule change no 1. Bigs cannot use any part of their arms on post defense or rebounding, but can use their bodies to physically push people while posting (both offense and defense) or rebounding.

That's a very interesting idea that I hadn't heard before. I'm like you--I usually DVR the games and give myself a bit of a cushion before I start watching so that I can fast forward the free throws and commercials.

I do the same thing. It compresses the game down to about hour. I do the free throws too. DVR is so awesome.

Let me clarify my proposed rule change no 1. Bigs cannot use any part of their arms on post defense or rebounding, but can use their bodies to physically push people while posting (both offense and defense) or rebounding.

I don't like that.

Have you ever tried guarding someone in the post? You have to use your forearm. Otherwise you are just trying to body bump them. It doesn't work.

I don't like that.

Have you ever tried guarding someone in the post? You have to use your forearm. Otherwise you are just trying to body bump them. It doesn't work.

That is exactly my point. The only way to stop some of these bigs is with a double arm bar. Why do we have to stop them? Let bigs score like guards. Let them be the hero again.

I'm so tired of watching watching players jump in front of someone or underneath someone in order to draw a foul.

I've been saying this for years. At the very least help/transition defenders cannot draw a charge. In broad stokes, to draw a charge you have to be the primary defender against a ball handler. If a ball handler beats his primary defender then that's on the defense. They shouldn't be bailed out by a secondary defender jumping in front of him.

I've been saying this for years. At the very least help/transition defenders cannot draw a charge. In broad stokes, to draw a charge you have to be the primary defender against a ball handler. If a ball handler beats his primary defender then that's on the defense. They shouldn't be bailed out by a secondary defender jumping in front of him.

I don't mind help defenders getting involved, but I hate how charges are called in basketball. To draw a charge, you basically have to stop playing defense as it is supposed to be played. You have to have your arms by your side, chest out, etc. There is no reason that a defender shouldn't be able to still play defense as normal (go for a steal, block, normal defensive position) and still have the offensive player commit a foul.

I do the same thing. It compresses the game down to about hour. I do the free throws too. DVR is so awesome.

Me too

I don't like that.

Plus there would be too much dick to butt contact

Isn`t this being tried out in the DLeague atm? I think Locke talked about in in pre season.

I'm so tired of watching watching players jump in front of someone or underneath someone in order to draw a foul. Or any kind of purposely trying to draw a foul like swinging your arms into theirs to draw contact. It's so stupid imo. And it hurts basketball. It's also very dangerous and just gets people hurt. It's bs to jump underneath someone in the air.

If you are initiating the contact it should be a foul on you, no matter how it looks.

The game would be so much funner to watch without it.

Drawing fouls basically says, hey I'm not good at basketball, but I'm good at acting. So stupid!!!

I've been saying this for years and couldn't agree more with all of this.

I don't mind help defenders getting involved, but I hate how charges are called in basketball. To draw a charge, you basically have to stop playing defense as it is supposed to be played. You have to have your arms by your side, chest out, etc. There is no reason that a defender shouldn't be able to still play defense as normal (go for a steal, block, normal defensive position) and still have the offensive player commit a foul.

That's a valid point.

There is no reason that a defender shouldn't be able to still play defense as normal (go for a steal, block, normal defensive position) and still have the offensive player commit a foul.

Well yeah, I agree. But what I'm saying is that secondary defenders should not be allowed to jump in front of an offensive player who has beaten his primary defender for the purpose of drawing a charge. To me that's bailing out bad defense

That's a good way of putting it too.

The current way blocks and charges are called is just silly. As grown men, I have no idea how this got into basketball. Who the hell decided this was a good idea. When you play ball for fun and not in school or a league, the charge is no where to be found. You'll get laughed at if you try to draw a charge.

This is not defense. At least put your hands up!!

NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+First+Round+Buffalo+Zx73El2Zs6yl.jpg

Deniz+Kilicli+NCAA+Basketball+Tournament+Third+neBIjrj3Hpsl.jpg

628x471.jpg

Well yeah, I agree. But what I'm saying is that secondary defenders should not be allowed to jump in front of an offensive player who has beaten his primary defender for the purpose of drawing a charge. To me that's bailing out bad defense

Agreed. I'm not a fan of that either.