What's new

Chemistry

People have been talking about upgrades for Bogey and Royce, or at least getting a better wing defender. Could we use one? Sure. But at this stage of the game do we really want to mess with the great chemistry that has provided us with the best record in the league?

I'm sure most of you, especially those who have played some form of organized ball, know that chemistry is all important, that a team of average players that play together will usually beat a team of better individuals who don't play together. I don't think we should mess with this chemistry. If a good player who fits our needs becomes available and we don't have to move any of our core 9, (I'm including Niang in that group), then do it.

Look at what happened with the Clippers last year when they didn't have enough time to establish their chemistry. And will that happen to the Nets this year, as well?

Let's just go with what we have that has given the Jazz the best start in franchise history and see if they can go all the way.

I feel like it's unrealistic in most cases for a team to address every single weakness. When two contenders are facing each other, both sides are generally going to have various weaknesses that the other can exploit. The Clippers certainly have weaknesses that we're equipped to exploit.

We played them down to the wire and it was one game. I don't get this sentiment that we need to suddenly make a trade because we didn't sweep the Clippers in the regular season.

If we stay the course but fail for the same reasons what's the gain? We need to rectify and upgrade what we can now. I think through buyouts, or a sneaky deal on the trade deadline, Niang isn't the answer. Bogey is 1 dimensional, Royce can't have scoreless to minimal scoring games.

Two schools of thought on this.

1. Don't mess with the chemistry. It's working really well, the team has never been at full strength in the playoffs, why mess with what's working?
2. Try to make a major move and swing for the fences. If you can take any advantage to increase your odds at a title, you should take it.

I'm not sure which way to go. The question is, who would you trade Bogie and/or Royce for? It would have to be a solid, certain upgrade. I'm concerned about Bogie's fit on the team right now-it just seems like a lot of what he does might be redundant, and the inconsistency is worrying. But I'm not sure who you could trade him for that would put the team over the top.

There’s so much in the league that’s random. In science, you complain of small sample sizes. In basketball, we look to the smallest of sample sizes — the playoffs. Now, there’s good reason for this, because what you’re really wanting to measure is how you stack up when it matters. But within those data sets, there’s still massive variation that can be due in large part to chance, but reputations, legends, and failures, are built upon foundations with large variations.

That said, you’ve got a bird in hand currently. For sure. Even chemistry aside, you could say that you could let it go to have a 25% chance at catching 2-3 in the bush. I don’t think we will, and my opinion is that I don’t think we should. But I do think we should hold tight to our birds and see if we can snag one of the slower ones with our free hand.

Yes, it’s true that it’s hard to have a meaningful upgrade in a 9th man spot where they won’t take much minutes from key guys (such as playing in the clutch), but you’ve also got to play the hand you’re dealt, and right now that 9th spot is a card we can drop to pick up another. We don’t even actually have to drop the 9th card. We don’t have to drop any cards. But we get a chance at a free “draw one” and I definitely think we need to be giving that a good look, because that’s where any of our improvement outside of “internal growth” and scheming can come from.

I feel like it's unrealistic in most cases for a team to address every single weakness. When two contenders are facing each other, both sides are generally going to have various weaknesses that the other can exploit. The Clippers certainly have weaknesses that we're equipped to exploit.

We played them down to the wire and it was one game. I don't get this sentiment that we need to suddenly make a trade because we didn't sweep the Clippers in the regular season.
While I agree with you, this is not a sudden thing. Many of us have been saying all season that we didn't address our biggest weakness, lack of a big wing defender. And this was exactly what came back to bite us against the clippers. I posted in the game thread that I am still optimistic about the team and the season, but come playoff time this will become a much bigger problem.

Two schools of thought on this.

1. Don't mess with the chemistry. It's working really well, the team has never been at full strength in the playoffs, why mess with what's working?
2. Try to make a major move and swing for the fences. If you can take any advantage to increase your odds at a title, you should take it.

I'm not sure which way to go. The question is, who would you trade Bogie and/or Royce for? It would have to be a solid, certain upgrade. I'm concerned about Bogie's fit on the team right now-it just seems like a lot of what he does might be redundant, and the inconsistency is worrying. But I'm not sure who you could trade him for that would put the team over the top.

I certainly would not mess with starter chemistry. It makes no sense right now.

That said, I’d definitely look at OPJ if he’s bought out so long as he knows he’s coming off the bench. He could maybe be our James Posey who was sneakily real damn important as a 3 and d guy when the Celts won it all over ten years ago. If he knows there are some nights he might not play but that he should get 12-16 minutes a night if healthy and playing well and he’s cool with it, he makes too much sense to sign.

Why trade when we have answers sitting on our very own bench? Oni, Morgan and Harrison are defensive diamonds in the rough that need to be developed now so they are ready come May, June and July.

I’m on board with 2/3. Shaq seems worthless on offense.
Yeah maybe, I have no idea...having not seen him play much. But if he is not a total boat anchor, he could be 5-6 fouls to throw at a wing in a grind it out kind of game.

We are out scoring people lately due to our outstanding offense, but if the game gets ugly and the refs let us play ... who you gonna call? Oni first for sure, but Shaq could be an answer. My point is we fans don't know if that is a viable solution or not. Hopefully Quin does.