What's new

Chris Hardwick

candrew

Chris Hardwick lost his job (at least temporarily) with AMC because of post on Medium by his ex-girlfriend. He's also been disowned by the company he founded, The Nerdist...

I'll preface this by saying I don't watch The Walking Dead or Hardwick's talk show. I've listened to parts of a couple of his podcasts - he's mildly amusing. I've never heard of Chloe Dykstra at all - although that's probably more of an indictment on me than it is on her.

By reading the link, and assuming it's 100% true, I've concluded the following.

Chris Hardwick is a selfish, dickhead
Chris Hardwick has serious control and self-esteem issues.
If I had a daughter I would not want her to date Chris Hardwick

That aside, I'm at a loss as to why anything happening to this guy at all? Dykstra said she was sexually assaulted by him and then goes on to describe something that's not even remotely sexual assault. Making the insinuation to your g/f that you'll break up with her if she doesn't have sex with you is not sexual assault. It's a dick move but it's not assault.

I'm willing to admit that I may be missing something, that's why I posted this. Please feel free to rip me apart if I'm out of touch - but I'm just not seeing it.

That aside, I'm at a loss as to why anything happening to this guy at all? Dykstra said she was sexually assaulted by him and then goes on to describe something that's not even remotely sexual assault. Making the insinuation to your g/f that you'll break up with her if she doesn't have sex with you is not sexual assault. It's a dick move but it's not assault.

I'm willing to admit that I may be missing something, that's why I posted this. Please feel free to rip me apart if I'm out of touch - but I'm just not seeing it.

Using emotional threats is sexual assault. Having sex with someone who is crying over the experience, and joking about that, is assault. Not all weapons are physical.

Using emotional threats is sexual assault. Having sex with someone who is crying over the experience, and joking about that, is assault. Not all weapons are physical.

Yeah, cause I’m sure that would hold up in a court of law.

That's textbook emotional abuse. He used fear to control her bodily autonomy. Something an incredible number of men simply do not understand is that not all sexual assault is physically violent.

That's textbook emotional abuse. He used fear to control her bodily autonomy. Something an incredible number of men simply do not understand is that not all sexual assault is physically violent.

Fear that he was going to break up with her (which doesn't sound like much of a threat). Not fear that he was going to break her arm or something. I agree that it's emotionally abusive - I don't think you're wrong about that. But assault is a whole other level which I don't think this fits the criminal definition.

It sounds like from the few things I've read, that everyone knew CH was a douchebag, was verbally abusive at work and was generally not a good guy. All that changed between when they were happy to work with/for him and now is that a former girlfriend confirmed that his douchebag ways in the workplace followed him into his relationships and now there was a story in the press exposing him as the douchebag they all already knew he was.

I'm looking at the people who are now distancing themselves from him and wondering what kind of low-lifes they are that it took media attention for them to cut ties with a grade-A douchebag?

Dude sounds like a douche.

But I mean...basically he had a set of conditions for this girl being his GF. She agreed to it, then realized she didn’t like it. She could’ve left at any time (and did). I’m not trying to blame her, but c’mon...this is dumb. She stayed with him for several years despite being treated like crap? Seems like she was trying to capitalize on his “fame”, and she still is. Let’s not pretend she doesn’t have her own motives here too.

I'm looking at the people who are now distancing themselves from him and wondering what kind of low-lifes they are that it took media attention for them to cut ties with a grade-A douchebag?

Some people act very differently at work and at home. Perhaps he was only at horrible at home as at work, and the details added a new level of awful?

He used her.

She used him.

He didn’t physically force her to do anything. He’s a scum bag for sure, but what he did isn’t as awful as some are making it out to be.

So, physical bullying is inherently worse than emotional bullying?

So, physical bullying is inherently worse than emotional bullying?

There’s more conclusive proof that it occurred, in general.

Both are obviously bad. I’m not defending either. But this girl knew what he wanted from the get go because he told her what he expected. Maybe she thought she could change him. Maybe she thought it was worth it for the fame. I don’t know. Seems like she could have left when she wanted, and eventually did.