What's new

Coaching Rumor

homeytennis

There are two Division 1 head coaching jobs open at Utah State and Utah Valley. Alex Jensen's name has bubbled up as a possibility for both. I had the feeling that Hardy would have preferred to bring in his own guy but Jensen had some time on his contract so the shotgun wedding was arranged. What are the chances Jensen is with the Jazz next season?

There are two Division 1 head coaching jobs open at Utah State and Utah Valley. Alex Jensen's name has bubbled up as a possibility for both. I had the feeling that Hardy would have preferred to bring in his own guy but Jensen had some time on his contract so the shotgun wedding was arranged. What are the chances Jensen is with the Jazz next season?
I hope he stays. I think he’s a great coach.

I’m actually shocked he’s still with the Jazz. When coaches don’t get the vacant spot they usually move on. It’s impossible for us to know who is actually good or bad among assistants….but Jensen is reaching the point where it’s almost a red flag to be constantly named as a finalist but never gets the HC offer. NCAA seems like a reasonable move.

NCAA coach seems like a terrible gig. You spend so much time dealing with recruiting and eligibility and babysitting and fund raising that you are really only a part time coach.

I’m actually shocked he’s still with the Jazz. When coaches don’t get the vacant spot they usually move on. It’s impossible for us to know who is actually good or bad among assistants….but Jensen is reaching the point where it’s almost a red flag to be constantly named as a finalist but never gets the HC offer. NCAA seems like a reasonable move.
Could be that Alex just doesn't want to be a HC. Phil Johnson made quiet a reputation, living, and much respect while being Sloan's "Lancer". Dude could have had probably any number of job's in the league or NCAA, but he was good with where he was. Some folks just don't want the Captain's Chair and that's fine.

Could be that Alex just doesn't want to be a HC. Phil Johnson made quiet a reputation, living, and much respect while being Sloan's "Lancer". Dude could have had probably any number of job's in the league or NCAA, but he was good with where he was. Some folks just don't want the Captain's Chair and that's fine.
He had already been a head coach and coach of the year before. Everyone at least wants a shot as a HC.

Yeah if he wanted to coach at the college-level, it is hard to see him passing up a Pac-12 program that he graduated from and then taking the Utah Valley position, but plans and goals obviously change.

It's hard to always fully evaluate the individual impact of coaches, but I do believe Jensen has been massive for the development of Kessler just like he was for Gobert. I was happy when he stayed and still hope he does, but wish him the best wherever he ends up