What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

I like both Sexton and THT and think both are just fine for the team as currently constituted and our trajectory.

THT will honestly be really good imo when he is 25-27ish.

Love Sexton’s heart and think he’s much better than some on this board give him credit for.
really like sexton and tht is warming on me. sexton has just been really good and he plays hard, tough, and aggressive. hard not to like guys like that. tht is who he is, i've come to accept that he just can't shoot and probably never will, but i'm appreciating his plus defense and for now, that's okay. despite the fact he takes terrible shots and can't even make most of his open ones, he doesn't kill the team when he's out there so i can live with it.

This could be true though, and its a good point. JC was playing better with Conley in and has regressed since.

It could just be that Conley kept him in line and gave him immediate feedback. Hardy has said he doesn't do that when players are on court. He wants them to have a clear headspace focusing on the game and the opponent. and therefore doesn't shout feedback to players during live action. He only gives the feedback on the bench or during timeouts or intermissions. I like his approach, but it doesn't necessarily work with all personalities. Some of us need more direct feedback.
I'm not putting JC playing better/worse on Sexton. I'm saying that with Sexton he's reverting back to looking for his own shot more.

I’ve seen so many people who were bashing Sexton say they are happy to be wrong. How about trying to not be an idiot in the first place?

Even NBA removed those designations and only kept the "Guard, Forward and Center" terms... and even those are used very fluidly (lots of players with "Guard-Forward" or "Center-Forward" designations).
That was true in the 1990s, and I think before that.

I like both Sexton and THT and think both are just fine for the team as currently constituted and our trajectory.

Love Sexton’s heart and think he’s much better than some on this board give him credit for.

THT will not be on the team past next season.

You are clinging into ancient player designations, that have no place in todays NBA. Even NBA removed those designations and only kept the "Guard, Forward and Center" terms... and even those are used very fluidly (lots of players with "Guard-Forward" or "Center-Forward" designations).

What matters and why those numbers I posted matter is that Sexton plays better within Hardys system than JC. Jordan is a better scorer albeit much less efficient this year at least (maybe also a testament to him taking lower percentage chances). Neither one has Conley's arsenal of passes but Sexton is clearly learning from Conley so I wouldn't be surprised if he kept adding new nuances into his game.
This is just semantics. When we use “pure PG” or “facilitating PG”, we obviously mean a playmaking point guard. The same goes when we say “We don’t’ have a (real) PG on our team.” We know what it means.

Last edited:
Obviously it's not all on Sexton. JC most of all was due for a regression and he's had it. But I 100% think that Sexton starting in place of Conley has influenced JC to go back to his less ball-sharing ways.
damn sexton what have you done! lol

but could be no? what we do know is conley have more impact on jc than sexton. our success early on was the result. but we might be just lucky because teams didnt take us seriously then. now its different, the bluprint to beat us is out there and sexton is not the only reason we are losing. its mike, its jc, its lauri, beasley, ko, everybody

That was true in the 1990s, and I think before that.
Yeah it has been common for a long time. I was listed as a guard-forward in high school and I played most of my minutes at PG and secondarily at one of the forward positions. So I guess I was a point forward, but really more of a big combo guard, at least for a basic high school team. But that was how it was listed, guard-forward.

This is just semantics. When we use “pure PG” or “facilitating PG”, we obviously mean a playmaking point guard. The same goes when we say “We don’t’ have a (real) PG on our team.” We know what it means. Point guard is still a valid word in basketball and in the NBA.
Yes, its valid but only to describe a stereotype or a mold that you dont necessarily need to have. People discuss it like its a mandatory position or a responsibility on the court that you must have filled at all times.

Steph is designated as PG but has refused that argument many times, responding that those designations are stupid and at the end of the day its about whether or not you can play basketball. Playmaking, court vision and passing are skills that are valued for players of any sizes and positions these days.

really like sexton and tht is warming on me. sexton has just been really good and he plays hard, tough, and aggressive. hard not to like guys like that. tht is who he is, i've come to accept that he just can't shoot and probably never will, but i'm appreciating his plus defense and for now, that's okay. despite the fact he takes terrible shots and can't even make most of his open ones, he doesn't kill the team when he's out there so i can live with it.
THT has been fun to watch as well. He just turned 22 and is learning the ropes. He could be a force when he is 26-28 years old.

I was listening to Sirius recently and the analysts made the point that guys like Sexton, THT, Kessler, etc were brought in for Coach Hardy and his staff to develop and to set a culture as a 1st year coach. Ainge obviously shipped out guys he may have perceived as bad apples (ie Beverley).

Whether or not all these guys are long term keepers is another question but the strategy has been a success.

Yes, its valid but only to describe a stereotype or a mold that you dont necessarily need to have. People discuss it like its a mandatory position or a responsibility on the court that you must have filled at all times.

Steph is designated as PG but has refused that argument many times, responding that those designations are stupid and at the end of the day its about whether or not you can play basketball. Playmaking, court vision and passing are skills that are valued for players of any sizes and positions these days.
True. But those terms are nonetheless useful in basketball talk when describing a playing style of a player.

Obviously it's not all on Sexton. JC most of all was due for a regression and he's had it. But I 100% think that Sexton starting in place of Conley has influenced JC to go back to his less ball-sharing ways.
Yup. This.

It's clear to me that Clarkson, in particular, started playing more for his next bag the second Conley went down. I'm not saying it's deliberate or anything, but he's just not looking to pass anymore.

Yup. This.

It's clear to me that Clarkson, in particular, started playing more for his next bag the second Conley went down. I'm not saying it's deliberate or anything, but he's just not looking to pass anymore.
I think JC's extension is kinda set in stone. It would be adding two more years after the player option at 20% raises. So an additional 2 years and 35.5M in total. Essentially he sticks around for 3/50M after this year. Its the most we can offer and I think its likely about as well as he'd do.

There has been enough talk about us wanting to do it that I think the only real holdup is seeing if a trade offer comes around. I don't think JC is being intentionally selfish or anything... I think he has reverted more back to his natural playing style. I wouldn't blame Sexton for it either.

In the 8 games Conley has missed JC has averaged 5.1 assists per game... slightly over his average for the year. I'm just not sure there is any data to backup this whole narrative some are pushing about Sexton. The net rating with Collin and the starters is effing awesome.

It might be time to lay down the torches and pitchforks even if he isn't your cup of tea.

In the 8 games Conley has missed JC has averaged 5.1 assists per game... slightly over his average for the year. I'm just not sure there is any data to backup this whole narrative some are pushing about Sexton. The net rating with Collin and the starters is effing awesome.

It might be time to lay down the torches and pitchforks even if he isn't your cup of tea.
Sexton’s numbers are actually better than both Mike’s and JC’s. I just don’t get the hate.

Sexton’s numbers are actually better than both Mike’s and JC’s. I just don’t get the hate.
I get that some aren't with his play style. He's a blunt force object. I think his penetration and threat of scoring at the goal has helped in some ways that Conley can't help anymore. Mike is also a maestro and you can play some beautiful basketball with him out there. It's not an either or when Mike gets back... but I can see why some aren't all in on the Collin Sexton experience.

I think if you are objective though you see the improvements he's made and the good he brings and can really enjoy what he does.