What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

Sexton's biggest problem is that he just makes too many mistakes. Think it's a good thing Hardy was hard on him to start the year off. Now we get to see if it paid off a bit.

It's also depressing how hard he tries defensively just to be a mediocre defender at best. Just doesn't do a good job reading plays. Gets way less steals than you'd expect from a guard with his speed and decent length. Tries to play up on guys but isn't truly disruptive and doesn't really strike fear in anyone trying to dribble ter

The wording i'd go with to describe him defensively is that he looks too tiny, in all senses at the same time. Not really tall, not really long arms, and not really much of core strenght in his body to enforce contact and keep position. Like that he's been trying tho, even If his instincts ain't there (can never get better If not trying, and it's impossible to play defense without constant effort).

Eh, he took 4 threes last night. That number is fine. His best skill is getting to the paint and the line and he is very good with midrange jumpers. I want him to keep using his best skills. Dont want him to try to be clarkson or beasley (clarkson took 8 threes last night. He goes to the paint more and we likely win.)

Not for a starting guard it isn't.

In any case if you actually read my post you would see that my suggestion was the area Sexton can improve and is more likely to improve is his distance shooting. Doing so would increase the number of shots he attempts but more importantly open up the floor for him to drive to the rim.

He has 7 attempts for the season with a defender within 2-4 feet of him, which means teams don't respect him.

These are all great stats and if you love the guy they are gratifying.

If you hate the guy, stats mean nothing!

(But they do when you like another guy though and they reserve the right to reference those same stats then, to reinforce their beliefs)
Sexton is a JC replacement. It’s a very necessary role and
Not for a starting guard it isn't.

In any case if you actually read my post you would see that my suggestion was the area Sexton can improve and is more likely to improve is his distance shooting. Doing so would increase the number of shots he attempts but more importantly open up the floor for him to drive to the rim.

He has 7 attempts for the season with a defender within 2-4 feet of him, which means teams don't respect him.

or he lives in fear because he doesn’t have the green light?

Ultimately Sexton is very good at what he's good at, but I just doubt Sexton's game is what Hardy envisions for his offense as a starting guard. Will be interesting to see what they do in the off-season in terms of pursuing a PG. Sexton at the very least is building his trade value.

Ultimately Sexton is very good at what he's good at, but I just doubt Sexton's game is what Hardy envisions for his offense as a starting guard. Will be interesting to see what they do in the off-season in terms of pursuing a PG. Sexton at the very least is building his trade value.
The trade value point is really important. I hope Hardy is not putting him to the doghouse anymore. If he is not the future PG in Hardy's eyes, then at least let him play high minutes and rack up stats so that he has trade appeal on the market.

Opposing players were 4/10 last night when Sexton was the primary defender.

Combined with last game when they went 2/8 that is 6/18 in the last two games (33.3%). Seems pretty good to me.

Opposing players were 4/10 last night when Sexton was the primary defender.

Combined with last game when they went 2/8 that is 6/18 in the last two games (33.3%). Seems pretty good to me.
Nah man you cant just look at stats, you have to watch the games. Then you see he gives a **** on defense, hustles and locks in every possession. But you cant just watch the games, you have to look at the results in the stats. But you cant just do one of those or the other, keep doing all of this until you ultimately decide he sucks and reinforce the bias you came in with.

It's pretty simple.

Yes. He yelled at Sexton because Dok ****ed up

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Was serious ********… Collin was trying hard to get open and the defender was face guarding and holding him… Dok couldn’t find anyone else and held the ball for 7 of the 8 seconds… Collin gets a grenade… Hardy needs to chill the **** out. Can’t watch JCs infinite mistakes and get pissed at Collin for that.

Dok messed up for sure on that, but he was left in a ****** position. There was only one Pacer giving pressure and Sexton could've just sprinted away from him, instead he went right into him. Also, everyone else had sprinted away. Lauri noticed what was going on but casually took like two steps back instead of actually providing an option.

Was serious ********… Collin was trying hard to get open and the defender was face guarding and holding him… Dok couldn’t find anyone else and held the ball for 7 of the 8 seconds… Collin gets a grenade… Hardy needs to chill the **** out. Can’t watch JCs infinite mistakes and get pissed at Collin for that.
Not sure what they showed on TV, but Dok was getting an earful as well. I think Hardy relies on Alex Jensen to work with Dok, but Hardy seems to have a bigger/better relationship with the guards. Last night, for example, he was constantly talking to THT/Clarkson/Sexton.

Have others that go to the games noticed this as well?

Not sure what they showed on TV, but Dok was getting an earful as well. I think Hardy relies on Alex Jensen to work with Dok, but Hardy seems to have a bigger/better relationship with the guards. Last night, for example, he was constantly talking to THT/Clarkson/Sexton.

Have others that go to the games noticed this as well?
It looked like he yelled and clapped at Collin for the 8 second call. He goes at Sexton hard… which I get but needs some better balance. He does not seem to have as short a leash or temper with KO or JC when they make dumb mistakes.

I have some criticisms of Collin, but generally expect his jumpers and 3s to go in, he does not force jumpers, and I have a much higher level of confidence of him scoring at the rim than I did wirh Donovan Mitchell.

It looked like he yelled and clapped at Collin for the 8 second call. He goes at Sexton hard… which I get but needs some better balance. He does not seem to have as short a leash or temper with KO or JC when they make dumb mistakes.

I really don’t know why he goes so hard unless he knows that he can be extremely good but that doesn’t add up with reports from the media.

Sexton definitely seems to push his buttons, but I think Hardy believes in him. Last night he kept running plays for him in the clutch, even after he had made some mistakes.

My point I was making was that just because he was yelling at Sexton instead of Dok doesn't necessarily mean he blamed him vs Dok. They both got an earful, it just seems like Hardy has a division of labor with his coaching staff.