What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

Halliburton did a lot of his damage in the 4th hunting switches onto KO........away from Sexton. Thats just a fact.

I think Sextons defensive strength is his man defense. He's also been guarding backups for most of the season and generally gets easier assignments than the other guards.

Now that he’s starting he’s getting the harder assignment while JC gets the easier one. Your point about him guarding backups is true and they definitely helped those stats for sure. The fact that he is continuing to do well against starters is a positive sign. I would agree his defensive strength is man defense as well.

Halliburton did a lot of his damage in the 4th hunting switches onto KO........away from Sexton. Thats just a fact.
Sexton also made the most impactful defensive play of the game with the steal and layup. He was really good defensively last night... Tyrese was blowing by a bunch of dudes and I thought Sexton forced him into tougher looks a couple times.

I get that he will never be some amazing lockdown defender... I get he is a little spacey... he's also tried really hard and come a long way. I think he is basically average on that end when advanced numbers said he was one of the worst in the league... probably the same defensive measure some posters are ******** on are the reason his rep is a bad defender. Now that those aren't there I guess its their own eye test or something. He's been fine on defense.

Its a balance thing... I get it but its really tough to go so hard at Collin and let JC roll without consequence. There are times when its warranted but it can also kill a players confidence and you may neuter their ability to just play.

Its just tough to see and hear him light up Sexton to move the ball with KO, JC, Gay dribble and ball stop a ton as well. A good dose of tough love is useful... constant tough love is just being an *******.
You are correct but there is a different role and different expectations that some coaches want from a PG because of how much they handle the ball and how much they initiate the offense. I happen to agree that what I want from a PG is different than what I want from other players.

Its a balance thing... I get it but its really tough to go so hard at Collin and let JC roll without consequence. There are times when its warranted but it can also kill a players confidence and you may neuter their ability to just play.

Its just tough to see and hear him light up Sexton to move the ball with KO, JC, Gay dribble and ball stop a ton as well. A good dose of tough love is useful... constant tough love is just being an *******.
I get where you're coming from and it definitely doesn't always feel "fair". But it's fine as long as the team thinks it's fine and doesn't think JC is getting away with **** and Collin unfairly picked on. And considering that after the nuclear winter all that's left is cockroaches and Team 49, they certainly seem fine with it. And Collin's confidence doesn't seem affected in the least and we're almost 60 games in. None of his mistakes are because of timidity.

this is weird thread. Collin Sexton is a really good NBA player - he along with JC, Kessler and Lauri are the reason the Jazz, despite Ainge's best efforts to tank, are still winning games and unfortunately, will likely continue to do so.

As long as those four guys are healthy and playing games, this effing team will probably continue to play near .500 ball despite getting rid of four other really good NBA players last week.

I get where you're coming from and it definitely doesn't always feel "fair". But it's fine as long as the team thinks it's fine and doesn't think JC is getting away with **** and Collin unfairly picked on. And considering that after the nuclear winter all that's left is cockroaches and Team 49, they certainly seem fine with it. And Collin's confidence doesn't seem affected in the least and we're almost 60 games in. None of his mistakes are because of timidity.
It would just be nice for Hardy to praise the guy after the game or something if he is like this during the game. I received a lot of "tough love" growing up and some of it may have been productive in a way that I stayed out of trouble but a lot of it was just a dude being an *******. So I'm probably sensitive here.

We don't know what happens behind the scenes... so maybe its super healthy and awesome. But if at some point the relationship turns really sour I wouldn't be surprised.

You are correct but there is a different role and different expectations that some coaches want from a PG because of how much they handle the ball and how much they initiate the offense. I happen to agree that what I want from a PG is different than what I want from other players.
I agree... there needs to be a lot of communication between coach and PG. I just think it can't be negative or focused on only mistakes or it will lead to being tentative and thinking instead of playing. I think Sexton is being reprogrammed and it seems to be working. I just hate when a kid is making progress and the coach and FO seem to say "nah... he isn't a future starter". Just seems like a bad message to a guy who has clearly improved.

I agree... there needs to be a lot of communication between coach and PG. I just think it can't be negative or focused on only mistakes or it will lead to being tentative and thinking instead of playing. I think Sexton is being reprogrammed and it seems to be working. I just hate when a kid is making progress and the coach and FO seem to say "nah... he isn't a future starter". Just seems like a bad message to a guy who has clearly improved.

I really don’t know what else they want him to do. Just putting a cap on his ceiling like that is a bad message. He’s averaging 18/6 with an elite AST/TO ratio and is one of the most efficient guards in the league.

I really don’t know what else they want him to do. Just putting a cap on his ceiling like that is a bad message. He’s averaging 18/6 with an elite AST/TO ratio and is one of the most efficient guards in the league.
It doesn't fit the "beautiful game" basketball model at times. I don't see him being a ball stopper much if at all right now. He runs the offense and then attacks when need be. I don't think he's a maestro like Mike... that's okay... his burst is amazing and a very useful tool.

I think KO and JC ball stop way more than Sexton.

It doesn't feel like Sexton does much to make those around him better. I think that's the next step, which he might not have in him, which might be effecting how the front office sees him.

Really none of our players really do this, besides probably KO. This is why a priority for the off season should be finding a high level distributor/perimeter defender. Potentially Sexton would fit really nicely next to that type of player, but potentially the idea is to pair up JC next to that type of player.

It doesn't feel like Sexton does much to make those around him better. I think that's the next step, which he might not have in him, which might be effecting how the front office sees him.

Really none of our players really do this, besides probably KO. This is why a priority for the off season should be finding a high level distributor/perimeter defender. Potentially Sexton would fit really nicely next to that type of player, but potentially the idea is to pair up JC next to that type of player.
And I agree with that somewhat. His penetration helps everyone on offense... but its not like he is throwing the sickest passes ever or has some amazing gravity on the perimeter. We need passing so bad... Its why I like Anthony Black even if he isn't a star he will fill some of those gaps we and every team has.

I just think he can do enough on offense to be a starting guard. Whether that's more of a point guard or shooting guard I don't care that much. Collapsing the defense and making simple reads is very beneficial. It would be kind of like saying Kessler can't be a starting center because he can't shoot... if you only look at the things a guy doesn't do and put him in a box I am not sure that is fair.

In an ideal contender type situation I don't think Sexton is a starter... but I also don't thin JC is either... so I would work to get to that point and deal with it later rather than pushing the narrative that the FO is disappointed and sees him as a sixth man. If they are disappointed they did not pay attention to the player they were signing.

This concept that most really good players make the guys around them better is really a big myth. A lot of the time it is the opposite because they are so ball dominant that guys don't the get the opportunity to get in a rhythm and forces guys into much smaller roles than they are actually capable of.

This concept that most really good players make the guys around them better is really a big myth. A lot of the time it is the opposite because they are so ball dominant that guys don't the get the opportunity to get in a rhythm and forces guys into much smaller roles than they are actually capable of.
What?

I don't think making players better is an absolute necessity for being a top player, but most top players make others better.

Players being better doesn't mean they average more points or have the ball more. Just means they make the game easier for those players so they don't have to do as much to get quality shots.

As good as Sexton has been, I think it's pretty clear Lauri's life is a bit tougher without Conley. Even the elite spacing of Beasley has been missed.

And I agree with that somewhat. His penetration helps everyone on offense... but its not like he is throwing the sickest passes ever or has some amazing gravity on the perimeter. We need passing so bad... Its why I like Anthony Black even if he isn't a star he will fill some of those gaps we and every team has.

I just think he can do enough on offense to be a starting guard. Whether that's more of a point guard or shooting guard I don't care that much. Collapsing the defense and making simple reads is very beneficial. It would be kind of like saying Kessler can't be a starting center because he can't shoot... if you only look at the things a guy doesn't do and put him in a box I am not sure that is fair.

In an ideal contender type situation I don't think Sexton is a starter... but I also don't thin JC is either... so I would work to get to that point and deal with it later rather than pushing the narrative that the FO is disappointed and sees him as a sixth man. If they are disappointed they did not pay attention to the player they were signing.

The front office leaking that stuff about not seeing him as a starter is really strange. I'm not sure how that could possibly be beneficial, even if that's how they really see it. If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, my best guess is that they are planning on throwing some money at JC this off season, and feel like they can lock him in long term (not my personal preference).

If that's what happens, then I guess I could see the argument that you don't really want to be playing Sexton and JC next to each other too much. Luckily we'll have the rest of the season to make a better judgement call on how well that pairing could work.

The front office leaking that stuff about not seeing him as a starter is really strange. I'm not sure how that could possibly be beneficial, even if that's how they really see it. If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, my best guess is that they are planning on throwing some money at JC this off season, and feel like they can lock him in long term (not my personal preference).

If that's what happens, then I guess I could see the argument that you don't really want to be playing Sexton and JC next to each other too much. Luckily we'll have the rest of the season to make a better judgement call on how well that pairing could work.
Think Utah might pursue Van Vleet. He's one of the only attainable PGs in the market who is starter level.

His basic stats are mediocre, but he has Conley esque impact ratings.