What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

Sexton's biggest problem is that he just makes too many mistakes. Think it's a good thing Hardy was hard on him to start the year off. Now we get to see if it paid off a bit.

It's also depressing how hard he tries defensively just to be a mediocre defender at best. Just doesn't do a good job reading plays. Gets way less steals than you'd expect from a guard with his speed and decent length. Tries to play up on guys but isn't truly disruptive and doesn't really strike fear in anyone trying to dribble

Sexton's biggest problem is that he just makes too many mistakes. Think it's a good thing Hardy was hard on him to start the year off. Now we get to see if it paid off a bit.

It's also depressing how hard he tries defensively just to be a mediocre defender at best. Just doesn't do a good job reading plays. Gets way less steals than you'd expect from a guard with his speed and decent length. Tries to play up on guys but isn't truly disruptive and doesn't really strike fear in anyone trying to dribble
These takes are going to continue to age poorly.

I legit thought your first sentence was going to say “Sexton’s biggest problem is he makes too many shots”

Why is it depressing lol… you’d rather have him not care like Don and be ******?

Because I don't think he has much opportunity to get better on defense.

Offensively there is a lot of upside
I mean he’s gone from one of the leagues worst defenders to average… why wouldn’t he get better?

Lol you literally just said he’s mediocre.

Christ man, did ole boy clap your girls cheeks? This is super embarrassing at this point.
Just trying to soften the language so it isn't "hating". Look at all his advanced defensive metrics, are all very negative.

Just trying to soften the language so it isn't "hating". Look at all his advanced defensive metrics, are all very negative.
I’m certain dude will never ever be good enough in your eyes.

While the exact same play by almost anyone else would have you either being ambivalent on them or actually very pro that player.

Learn from the WK stuff man. Try to not be so blatantly biased without ever being open to changing the position.

I’m certain dude will never ever be good enough in your eyes.

While the exact same play by almost anyone else would have you either being ambivalent on them or actually very pro that player.

Learn from the WK stuff man. Try to not be so blatantly biased without ever being open to changing the position.
I honestly got no idea what you are complaining about. I said he's got a lot of offensive upside. I don't see that in his defense. I think he's currently maxed out on that end.

The biggest thing holding Sexton back is his three point shooting. Teams don't respect him and he doesn't give them a reason to despite shooting a good % from there. He turns down too many looks and doesn't punish the opposition from going under the screen, he also shoots the odd wild shot that can end anywhere. I have more faith that he can work on this part of his game which in turn could help the rest of his game then I have him suddenly being able to run an NBA offense to the standard required.

Defensively he tries but the reality is with the exception of a few guards there isn't many who can stop or slow down modern PG's. By providing effort there he is an upgrade on most in the league.

Because I don't think he has much opportunity to get better on defense.

Offensively there is a lot of upside
I think there is more upside on defense. Effort is the hardest part to get a player to actually have. Learning to read the play, how to position yourself, and generally adjusting just takes time and coaching.

It feels like if someone is really game planning for Sexton, it would be pretty easy. Give him space since he's not a pull up threat
He is a pullup threat though. 5th best jump shooter in the league. Thats why dudes dont give him space. If they did he would shoot and hit from the outside. Since they dont give him space he blows by them and gets to the rim and free throw line. He is pretty damn hard to contain for any defender and any defensive gameplan.

This is all legit and fair criticism imo. He does make some bad mistakes (hoping he improves in that area) and his defense is bad even though he tries hard (I dont have much hope for this to get better)

The biggest thing holding Sexton back is his three point shooting. Teams don't respect him and he doesn't give them a reason to despite shooting a good % from there. He turns down too many looks and doesn't punish the opposition from going under the screen, he also shoots the odd wild shot that can end anywhere. I have more faith that he can work on this part of his game which in turn could help the rest of his game then I have him suddenly being able to run an NBA offense to the standard required.

Defensively he tries but the reality is with the exception of a few guards there isn't many who can stop or slow down modern PG's. By providing effort there he is an upgrade on most in the league.
Eh, he took 4 threes last night. That number is fine. His best skill is getting to the paint and the line and he is very good with midrange jumpers. I want him to keep using his best skills. Dont want him to try to be clarkson or beasley (clarkson took 8 threes last night. He goes to the paint more and we likely win.)

He is not a "smart" defender yet, clearly better than he was in CLE though. But he has the advantage of physical tools for his size ,if he is healthy, to at least slow down and disrupt the flow of the offense. Few occasions has forces scv's though that I can remember. He is not going to stop anyone with elite handles, or that has a lot of size on him. But so what? He won't be better than most players his stature except he is still getting stronger and not maxed up yet imo.
His game is all offense in the pro vs con chart, compared to his peers right now at the same positions, and the defense will probably always be somewhat of a liability- even as he gets smarter.
I don't think it will matter though, if the roster is constructed well. I mean unless this team when the rebuild is over, has the same type of guard playing with him all the time. I think this was why CLE did not want to pay him, or retain him, because Garland was the same type of defensive liability or worse.

Don was a bad defender, Mike too, now Colin. Maybe we just expect that those guys make things that they are not able to do. On my opinion, if colin score 17-20 every night, improve and give 6 assists without too many TO, i'm okay with his poor defense.

Sexton has a 65.5 TS% as a starter this season which is ridiculous. That would be good for 12th in the entire league over the entire season. Curry and Lillard are the only other guards who are top-25 in the league in TS%. Sexton is starting to seem extremely underrated the more I think about it.

These are all great stats and if you love the guy they are gratifying.

If you hate the guy, stats mean nothing!

(But they do when you like another guy though and they reserve the right to reference those same stats then, to reinforce their beliefs)