What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

No… just… not at all. D Will was vicious off the dribble and got so much separation… JHS is not that at all.
If anything, the stuff JHS does well is reminiscent of Chris Paul’s best traits. Decision making and midrange shooting of the pick and roll. Getting guys into “no man’s land” on defense. Attacking the basket after getting the defender on his back. Those are the things that stand out on tape for me.

Shooting is a concern, but he’s more pesky on defense than I thought. I’d be happy with him at #16 if they decide to draft a PG. Still have others I prefer over him, but I wouldn’t be upset if the Jazz take him. Solid, if unspectacular, staring PG potential.

If Sexton had elite handles he would probably still be in Cleveland or got paid by someone else. He is underrated though as far as knowledge of the game imo.
I think he has what it takes upstairs to run a team and score all at the same time

Good point, though when I think about it, I think he was mostly just a slow decision maker. He would be open with the ball on the perimeter and instead of just raising up for a shot he would pause for a second to see if the defense was going to close out.

Sexton always wanted to drive to the basket, no matter what. It will be hard to get him to overcome that instinct and to become a little more balanced.
He is not an off ball guard at all imo and it will never be his thing for some of the reasons you just said. He is a score first 6 on paper, but sure seems to have developed the tools to be a primary ball handler and on ball playmaker, at least more than an off ball catch and shoot type who is then a liability defensively.
If he is not running my offense, I want him plugged in off the bench as a first option scoring machine, that makes the right plays if he is getting doubled now that he is smarter instead of getting stymied like he did early on.

I would feel much better about that lineup with JHS than Black. I think JHS has the potential to be a taller Deron Williams.
Yeah, he's got that kind of potential with his handle. He's not great at creating separation yet, but he can get better, and at his position he doesnt need all that much to rise up over most guards defending him.

I think his handle is underrated because he had some bad turnovers so it gets brought up. I view them more as growing pains than a true weakness. Has some pretty nasty hesitation and change of pace stuff.

People will write some revisionist history on Dwill, but he was not viewed as very athletic coming into the NBA. Speed, separation, and athleticism were written as concerns on his draft reports. You can watch the only highlight video on Youtube of D-Will at Illinois and it has one dunk in it. He did not yam on people in college like he did at the NBA level. He also wasnt sending dudes into the ground with ridiculous cross-overs like he was at the NBA level either. Some players get to the NBA and seemingly gain athleticism and some don't. If you go back and watch D'Angelo Russell college highlights, he didnt look nearly as unathletic as he does now. I think this is partially the pace you choose to play at. D'Lo has developed his style to be ultra-slow and contact adverse where as Deron really embraced getting downhill and doing so fearlessly.

The good news is that Fino does display some of those more D-Will-esque characteristics in that he isnt scared of contact. He wasnt a good foul drawer in college, but I think it's something that is within reach givin his level of physically and size. Important to note D-Will also did not draw fouls at a good in rate in college either. I have no proven way to project this kind of athleticism reliably, but I dont think JHS is going to go the route of D'Lo. He probably wont play as athletic as D-Will did in his prime either.

Yeah, he's got that kind of potential with his handle. He's not great at creating separation yet, but he can get better, and at his position he doesnt need all that much to rise up over most guards defending him.

I think his handle is underrated because he had some bad turnovers so it gets brought up. I view them more as growing pains than a true weakness. Has some pretty nasty hesitation and change of pace stuff.

People will write some revisionist history on Dwill, but he was not viewed as very athletic coming into the NBA. Speed, separation, and athleticism were written as concerns on his draft reports. You can watch the only highlight video on Youtube of D-Will at Illinois and it has one dunk in it. He did not yam on people in college like he did at the NBA level. He also wasnt sending dudes into the ground with ridiculous cross-overs like he was at the NBA level either. Some players get to the NBA and seemingly gain athleticism and some don't. If you go back and watch D'Angelo Russell college highlights, he didnt look nearly as unathletic as he does now. I think this is partially the pace you choose to play at. D'Lo has developed his style to be ultra-slow and contact adverse where as Deron really embraced getting downhill and doing so fearlessly.

The good news is that Fino does display some of those more D-Will-esque characteristics in that he isnt scared of contact. He wasnt a good foul drawer in college, but I think it's something that is within reach givin his level of physically and size. Important to note D-Will also did not draw fouls at a good in rate in college either. I have no proven way to project this kind of athleticism reliably, but I dont think JHS is going to go the route of D'Lo. He probably wont play as athletic as D-Will did in his prime either.
It is hard to gage some of these guys athletically based on the college game because the crowded court gives you so much less room to operate. I think he will look more explosive in the nba and he has such a strong frame that he is going to body guys up like Dwill did to create space when attacking the hoop. I think his vision, passing touch and willingness to make the right pass is extremely high. His pull up game is already pretty smooth and reminds me a ton of Dwill.

From the guy that brought you Tony Bradley is a poor man’s LaMarcus Aldridge comes JHS is a taller DWill… bookmark this nonsense… it will be great to reflect on later.

I love Sixty Nine..... and i do love sexton too :). Hope he become our PG and have a great year.
Didn't you hear he is getting traded to a tanking team that wants to win so we can draft a loser that will help us do just that smh
Sexton has no trade value coming off injury and if we overpick Black at 9 that's call for rioting to being with, let alone the reign of terror
that will rise from the ashes if they trade up for that pos

Sexton article came out on Athletic. No huge revelations. The most interesting thing I came out with was the choice of words in that he is using the offseason to work on fixing some of the flaws in his game.

At the end of the season, Dunn was the Jazz best point guard. He also has a contract that isn't guaranteed. He is not in long term plans. Here is my modest proposal. Waive or trade Dunn and Luka along with THT and Simone for a usable player or draft pick(s). It will make Hardy's job much easier.