What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

I think THT has improved on offense and whether you like him or not thats hard to deny or dismiss. Inconsistency is still an issue though, but almost all 22 year olds share that issue in varying degrees.

However even Cy must agree he is still far from being a starter quality player for a contending team. If he has potential to become one, we should all root for that to happen.

I think THT has improved on offense and whether you like him or not thats hard to deny or dismiss. Inconsistency is still an issue though, but almost all 22 year olds share that issue in varying degrees.

However even Cy must agree he is still far from being a starter quality player for a contending team. If he has potential to become one, we should all root for that to happen.

If that happens im hoping it happens next season after we sign him for cheap.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

He's starting quality. He might not be finishing quality yet, but he's a fine starter.

Nah. THT is an NBA veteran. This is his 5th season.

Still can’t ignore the fact that he’s only 22 years old. And I’d point out that Jermaine O’Neal had his first meaningfully good season in his fifth season at age 22 and broke out in his 6th season as an allstar. He was one of the youngest players his first few years, still is quite frankly. I wouldn’t call him a vet regardless of his years in the nba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would not start for any other team in this league unless they were straight up tanking. (Hey, wait a minute...)

If you disagree... which starting PG's do you see him beating? I'd like to see a list.
THT is 6'4 with a 7'1 wingspan. He can play next to anyone. He doesnt have to better than a team's starting PG, he can beat out the SF, SG, or PG.

I also think his defense is better than last year. He actually stretches or even elevates to contest shots instead of staying forever in low stance which is my mental image of his shooting defense from last year. Also I feel like he gets closer to their skin when he defends dribbling guards.

Lets hope it keeps building up for Sexton, the dude deserves it for sure.

I also think his defense is better than last year. He actually stretches or even elevates to contest shots instead of staying forever in low stance which is my mental image of his shooting defense from last year. Also I feel like he gets closer to their skin when he defends dribbling guards.

He can't do much about being 6 feet tall, though. The trouble is that he can't finish his drives in traffic (is he the most blocked player in the League right now?)

Sexton obviously lost some vertical explosiveness due to his knee injury – not much, but just enough to prevent him from dunking on people, like he used to do back in the day. When he plays within himself in a microwave bench scoring role and hits his open shots, he can be a useful offensive player.

Last edited:
Sexton have a good game against a terrible team. I still think he will get move before deadline. For 2 reasons : THT and JC are better option, and we need to develop Keyonte. So i don't see much space for him in the future here,

He can't do much about being 6 feet tall, though. The trouble is that he can't finish his drives in traffic (is he the most blocked player in the League right now?)

Sexton obviously lost some vertical explosiveness due to his knee injury – not much, but just enough to prevent him from dunking on people, like he used to do back in the day. When he plays within himself in a microwave bench scoring role and hits hit open shots, he can be a useful offensive player.
Last year one of the more frustrating parts about Sexton to me was that he didnt really do much to distract shooters. Felt like he stayed in stance with his hand up which was a complete non-factor to anyone shooting over him. Even if he is short, he should still at least try to block their vision and make the shot a bit harder.

This year that feels much improved. Maybe Dunn overdoing everything on defense is actually having a positive impact on the other guards who were underdoing a lot of stuff before.

Like remember how badly opposing lead guards burned us last year? Well this year so far:
Fox 6/18 for 18 points
George 9/17 for 36 (15 FTA)
Gordon 9/14 for 21
Murray 7/19 for 18 points
Bane 7/19 for 21 points

Eric Gordon sort of doesnt count because Suns run stuff through KD and really didnt have any guard handle the ball as a lead guard (plus he was defended by Lauri a lot, not our guards). But George is the only one who burned us by getting a fabulous whistle all game, while Fox, Murray and Bane had tough sledding games.

Last edited:

Sexton obviously lost some vertical explosiveness due to his knee injury – not much, but just enough to prevent him from dunking on people, like he used to do back in the day. When he plays within himself in a microwave bench scoring role and hits hit open shots, he can be a useful offensive player.

He finished 3 drives in traffic last night that i can remember. One of them was an and one

He was basically flawless last night. Made all the right decisions and didnt force things. Made great passes. Even halped out with rebounding. If he is hitting from deep, like he often is (40% last season and currently at 40%), then he is pretty awesome offensively.

By far the big problem with him is his size makes hin suck on defense. Its just really hard to hide him on defense and the opponent often seeks him out.

0 steals on the season. Still extremely baffling how someone as quick as he is, as aggressive as he is, and as long as he is (relative to his height) gets next to zero deflections. The defense is still very bad.

Sexton is going to be great at the things he is great at. The best thing about yesterday's Memphis game is that the game being loose gave him the mental greenlight to let if fly from 3 even if they werent wide open shots. That's very encouraging. He's a good shooter, but he's been good on low volume (by modern standards). If he can be good at a more respectable volume, that would be huge for his game. That and just making good decisions off his drives so he can avoid the extremely forced shots and instead find a cutter or the next pass, which he did well in the Memphis game as well.

What? Getting blocked doesnt mean you cant finish, it just means you get blocked sometimes. Sexton is an excellent finisher in traffic. And I dont think he's really lost any explosiveness.

Last year one of the more frustrating parts about Sexton to me was that he didnt really do much to distract shooters. Felt like he stayed in stance with his hand up which was a complete non-factor to anyone shooting over him. Even if he is short, he should still at least try to block their vision and make the shot a bit harder.

This year that feels much improved. Maybe Dunn overdoing everything on defense is actually having a positive impact on the other guards who were underdoing a lot of stuff before.

Like remember how badly opposing lead guards burned us last year? Well this year so far:
Fox 6/18 for 18 points
George 9/17 for 36 (15 FTA)
Gordon 9/14 for 21
Murray 7/19 for 18 points
Bane 7/19 for 21 points

Eric Gordon sort of doesnt count because Suns run stuff through KD and really didnt have any guard handle the ball as a lead guard (plus he was defended by Lauri a lot, not our guards). But George is the only one who burned us by getting a fabulous whistle all game, while Fox, Murray and Bane had tough sledding games.
Yeah because we've gone to zone a lot so other guys burned us. That's why we went zone, to avoid getting shredded in the PNR.

Sexton have a good game against a terrible team. I still think he will get move before deadline. For 2 reasons : THT and JC are better option, and we need to develop Keyonte. So i don't see much space for him in the future here,
Memphis isnt terrible terrible. They are just injured. They've played mostly close games against good teams, so it's not like the Jazz had it easy. They really pushed Memphis and Sexton was a part of that. He did get some stat padding because Hardy didnt want to play the rookie scrubs, but he was still good regardless.

My favorite part of that is the assists. That needs to be his average, not like, wow this is his greatest game ever! When that happens we'll really have something. Otherwise he's just another short sparkplug scorer, and we saw where the last one of those got us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Sexton fan, but for him to really elevate us he needs to become a solid facilitator or a mini-Iverson. But right now he's a more efficient Clarkson and that's not going to be enough.