What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

I'm pretty sure FVV just got paid a bunch of money. I think Locke might be off a little on that prediction.
FVV plays aggressive and productive defense though. I agree with Locke in regards to non-defenders.

Mitchell is good enough to be an exception.

Worse?

He's exactly the same as he was last year for the most part. He's the same he has been his entire career.

He's an efficient scoring machine. Per 36 he's the same as he has been his entire career. Giving him those token minutes actually helps a lot.

The best thing you can do is give him 20 minutes and hope someone falls in love with his scoring numbers and can talk themselves into Sexton just being on a bad team. If you start playing him "for real" (which I'm assuming you mean like closer to starterish minutes) then teams will have an easier time seeing him as the problem. Find someone who will give us an expiring and maybe some 2nd rounders. Use the cap-space to just sign a solid vet backup in the off-season.
You think he is the same productive this season vs his past seasons. show your work then (you are wrong. I have looked. he is having a career worst season in pretty much every way)

Sexton was much better this game. He moved the ball to open guys instead of only passing for an assist. We need to move the ball around more like this. He also got his first steal and had some nice assists.

Decent first half, putrid second half. I could see him in a 6th man scorer role in the future but he really can't play in the same lineup with THT.. which is a problem when they're both coming from the bench.

Sexton was much better this game. He moved the ball to open guys instead of only passing for an assist. We need to move the ball around more like this. He also got his first steal and had some nice assists.
Man, I really miss the emphasis on "the blender" from the Snyder era. The Jazz team will pull it off like 2-3 times a game now and I have no idea why we can't do it more. We have enough drivers to where it should happen a bit more.

I’ve said before that I don’t think Sexton has it in his makeup to be a facilitator, that he is what he is (a driving bucket-getter). But in the game against Portland, he made a few great kickout passes to an open teammate when driving to the rim and had 7 assists. That was great to see. Maybe he can learn after all, at least get better at it.

Eric Walden wrote today in his article:

“I’ve been watching the film — I watched film with coach today, I watched film the last couple of days, just get my mind right,” said Sexton. “And I see a lot of times when I’m driving, everyone [on the defense] doesn’t want me to score [so] they pretty much pack the paint. So I’ve just got to continue to make those reads each and every time. If I have a layup, lay it up; if I don’t, kick it out, find the open guy. … I gotta make it a habit. Anyone can do it once, twice, but when you can do it consistently, that’s a habit.”

I’ve said before that I don’t think Sexton has it in his makeup to be a facilitator, that he is what he is (a driving bucket-getter). But in the game against Portland, he made a few great kickout passes to an open teammate when driving to the rim and had 7 assists. That was great to see. Maybe he can learn after all, at least get better at it.

Eric Walden wrote today in his article:

“I’ve been watching the film — I watched film with coach today, I watched film the last couple of days, just get my mind right,” said Sexton. “And I see a lot of times when I’m driving, everyone [on the defense] doesn’t want me to score [so] they pretty much pack the paint. So I’ve just got to continue to make those reads each and every time. If I have a layup, lay it up; if I don’t, kick it out, find the open guy. … I gotta make it a habit. Anyone can do it once, twice, but when you can do it consistently, that’s a habit.”

I have a soft spot for Sexton. Between stuff like this and things over the summer Andy was saying about how he works the hardest out of any NBA player he’s been around. It’s hard not to root for him to be great.

I have a soft spot for Sexton. Between stuff like this and things over the summer Andy was saying about how he works the hardest out of any NBA player he’s been around. It’s hard not to root for him to be great.
Yeah, but when you read stuff like the above quote and watch him play... it's obvious he's having to fight his true nature as a player. Hard.

I'm just not sure you can ever make a 180 like that after playing one way your entire life. Sexton will be 25 in a few months. He's still young, but he's played a ton of basketball as a blinders-on bucket getter.

Yeah, but when you read stuff like the above quote and watch him play... it's obvious he's having to fight his true nature as a player. Hard.

I'm just not sure you can ever make a 180 like that after playing one way your entire life. Sexton will be 25 in a few months. He's still young, but he's played a ton of basketball as a blinders-on bucket getter.
If its simple reads like drive and score or drive and find the corner shooter I believe he can improve a lot in those areas. Not to the point he's a starting point guard type but an efficient bench scorer who makes a real impact on overall offense.

Its when you have to process pick and roll, finding the shooters, and make reads that require you to see everything that is going on where Sexton likely always struggles.

If its simple reads like drive and score or drive and find the corner shooter I believe he can improve a lot in those areas. Not to the point he's a starting point guard type but an efficient bench scorer who makes a real impact on overall offense.

Its when you have to process pick and roll, finding the shooters, and make reads that require you to see everything that is going on where Sexton likely always struggles.
The lowest hanging fruit is becoming a good drive and kick player since he already is elite at the drive part.

The lowest hanging fruit is becoming a good drive and kick player since he already is elite at the drive part.
Right... harvest the **** out of it and don't worry about the fruit at the top of the tree. Its sounds like that is what Hardy and Sexton are doing. It also sounds like Sexton continues to be one of the most coachable, open to criticism guys ever. Coachable might be the wrong word cuz it seems like he's frustrating cuz he doesn't always implement what the coach is saying but I think everyone gets what I'm saying.

Yeah, he tends to score a lot of points when the rest of the team is clicking and getting more defensive attention.
One could also point out that when your 3rd to 4th guard in rotation, that problably isn't among your 7 best players, goes for 20 or more, suddenly it's much more likely that you win.

Sexton is averaging the most assists in his career this season per 36.
5.8 assists per 36. His previous best was 4.3

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Back