What's new

Conley For Horford Discussion

I think he'd be helpful and would look good in our system. I just think we look to more cost effective means for all of our issues... and honestly its justified. If we felt we really needed 1st round picks then maybe you can justify this kind of investment... but even then it feels like there are cheaper ways to get there.

If we move Conley I really think it is to reduce salary and open up some cap flexibility to sign other guys. Maybe we land a lower cost player that is also expiring... Conley to the Knicks in that type of scenario would be the most likely "target". Unless we signed someone that was pretty decent I'm not sure we'd be better than if we just brought Mike off the bench. I think he has a lot more value when he isn't sharing the floor with Ingles, DM, and Bojan... I want Ingles and Royce in the starting lineup next year... Mike and JC can wreck fools off the bench.
We’ll definitely go a lower-cost route. And we will remain a solid tier below the contenders.

Dude really did screw us. And gave up a much better gig. Hayward was a perfect fit for what our roster ended up being with Mitchell.

We would be legit contenders if he had just stayed. We already had Mitchell on the roster when he signed with Boston.

Lose-Lose situation for all involved.

it’s funny how all-star nominations were on Hayseed’s mind. Now he’s buried behind all-stars on his own team. Good riddance.

Which is why they give up assets to move him. Richardson, Zhaire Smith, draft picks, etc. These are all things we need in addition to a quality backup big.

I don't think there is a market for trading Conley where we dump his salary. The Knicks are the most likely, but why do they do that? Unless new coach Thibs has a secret crush on Conley, why does he set the tone in NY by adding $35 million expiring Conley? There might be a couple scenarios where we trade him for equal salary or a little savings, but I'm not sure we will get value in return (guys like Batum).

They need competent pg play to help their young guys and hopefully provide a little more success. Would also keep their options open for the next couple FA periods. They need to rebuild the culture there and get better... Mike would be good for that. CP3 might be their first choice but OKC may not move him and he might have one too many years left on that deal. NY will end up blowing space on Portis/Randle types again while they keep their flexibility... I'm 100% sure Mike would be a better value prop for them. They may be able to steal a Fred Van Vleet so that route may not open up.

We’ll definitely go a lower-cost route. And we will remain a solid tier below the contenders.
Yeah... and in their defense I'm not sure there is a deal that pushes us into that tier... so why not go less spendy.

They need competent pg play to help their young guys and hopefully provide a little more success. Would also keep their options open for the next couple FA periods. They need to rebuild the culture there and get better... Mike would be good for that. CP3 might be their first choice but OKC may not move him and he might have one too many years left on that deal. NY will end up blowing space on Portis/Randle types again while they keep their flexibility... I'm 100% sure Mike would be a better value prop for them. They may be able to steal a Fred Van Vleet so that route may not open up.
If NY completely strikes out in free agency, maybe this holds true. I would love for it to. I'd love to poach Ntilikina and shed some cap. I just don't believe NY will go this route with a new coach and front office.

I’m curious if we can find another prospect to play behind Tony Bradley. That would make the off-season a huge success.
So I wouldn't say I've come around on TB but I'm mostly of the opinion he is fine as a backup 5. I'm looking more at the 3/4 types. It's kinda why I want to see a little Brantley... between him and Niang maybe that's enough?

If I was DL I'd just want to know where to use our limited resources. I think there is a world where Brantley proves to give us something at the 4 and pairs well with TB and we move Mike to the bench and add a guy like Shaq Harrison to soak up any leftover minutes at the wing and fill in at 2-3 spots as injuries dictate.

I'd love a different look at the 5 at backup... Meyers Leonard or equivalent that could hit some threes and just gives us a changeup sometimes... wouldn't be earth shattering so nbd if it doesn't happen.

If NY completely strikes out in free agency, maybe this holds true. I would love for it to. I'd love to poach Ntilikina and shed some cap. I just don't believe NY will go this route with a new coach and front office.
You don't think they will try and win more now? This year's FA crop is pretty bare. I think it'd be a pretty big win to buy Conley on the cheap. We know he can take a super ****** offense and make it look passable.

You don't think they will try and win more now? This year's FA crop is pretty bare. I think it'd be a pretty big win to buy Conley on the cheap. We know he can take a super ****** offense and make it look passable.
Like I said, they would have to really strike out in free agency and the trade market. I just feel there would be a number of teams who might want to trade a player into that space of theirs. How many owners will be desperate in these times of COVID to shed some money? Teams might even throw some picks towards NY to dump a contract.

I just don't feel like NY has enough desire for Conley to pass up on better franchise options. But in the end, I hope you're right. Maybe we can trade Conley for Ntilikina and Randle. They don't lose too much of their cap space while maybe shedding guys the new coach/front office might not want.

So I wouldn't say I've come around on TB but I'm mostly of the opinion he is fine as a backup 5. I'm looking more at the 3/4 types. It's kinda why I want to see a little Brantley... between him and Niang maybe that's enough?

If I was DL I'd just want to know where to use our limited resources. I think there is a world where Brantley proves to give us something at the 4 and pairs well with TB and we move Mike to the bench and add a guy like Shaq Harrison to soak up any leftover minutes at the wing and fill in at 2-3 spots as injuries dictate.

I'd love a different look at the 5 at backup... Meyers Leonard or equivalent that could hit some threes and just gives us a changeup sometimes... wouldn't be earth shattering so nbd if it doesn't happen.

I wanted real data on Bradley and now I have it. I’ll be pissed if he’s on the roster next year. I’m done.

I also know that we need ****ing serious help defending the perimeter. I want DM to be the weakest defender 1-3... especially knowing that Bojan isn’t great at the 4 (another perimeter-based position in this day and age).

They need to trade Conley, but they won’t. It sucks to be a jazz fan sometimes.

Our best hope right now is that there is an outbreak at Disney World, they cancel this tournament, next seasons is delayed and they allow a one-time amnesty to make up for all the money lost.

I wanted real data on Bradley and now I have it. I’ll be pissed if he’s on the roster next year. I’m done.

I also know that we need ****ing serious help defending the perimeter. I want DM to be the weakest defender 1-3... especially knowing that Bojan isn’t great at the 4 (another perimeter-based position in this day and age).

They need to trade Conley, but they won’t. It sucks to be a jazz fan sometimes.
they will ride Bradley and Conley into the sunset. They don't give up on their guys. Good news is based on when the Exum experiment ended we only have like 8-10 more years with them before we pivot.

I respect your opinion. Let me point out:

His contract is:
2020-21 $27.5 ($7 less than Conley)
2021-22 $27
2022-23 Nonguaranteed

I don't like his 2021-22 number but I like him much better for our team next season than Conley especially at $7 million less. So for 2020-21, its a good deal for us.

The other main sticking point is the draft value Philly adds in. If we don't like the assets, then we walk. This isn't just Horford for Conley. The picks must make it worth it. For example - if we can do this trade around the draft, package our pick with theirs and move up, it could be brilliant. Two 20's and the Atlanta 2nd might get us late lottery. We need young talent.

Overall, just a discussion. I'm not sold either. Have to see how this season plays out, how desperate Philly is, etc.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
I would rather let Conley play out next year, and think he’s more valuable on the trade market next year.

Guards and center are not the problem. Doesn't matter what adjustment you make is not going to solve anything. Our problem has always been at the forward spot and it should be common knowledge by now.

So I'm convinced that Brett Brown lost this team early in the year and literally all of their players are underperforming. I think they will be desperate to get a pg and to get off of Al's money. Also watching Morgan in the starting lineup and thinking... What if Al was playing in his place. (not that we would have to start him when Bojan is back)

I would consider a deal if we get Horford, Milton, their first next year, and one of their seconds in the 30s. We'd have some routes to lower our long term costs. With Milton on board we could negotiate a little harder with JC this offseason.

I just think Al would look good in our DHO game and solve our backup center problems. Philly is a **** show right now.

The Jazz don't want Horford's contract. Mitchell has the potential to attract a meaningful FA, and we're not going to be able to move Horford once we take that deal. There are too many other ways we can add size and athleticism at the 4.