What's new

Conley irrelevant...

The biggest reason I liked the Conley trade was that it meant Rubio wouldn’t be back.

I’ve always thought the move to make was to have Mitchell be the 1. I’ll talk myself into liking the Conley move if it begins to look good on its own merits which to this point it hasn’t. In the meantime, I’ll try to bite my tongue.

Last edited:
How much better does Conley make the Jazz than say if they had kept Crowder the picks and just moved Mitchell over to point?

We would be worse right now had we kept Crowder, he would still be shooting under 40% from the field and he would still be jacking up about 6 3 pointers a game at 32%. Our offense is so much better off without him.

But they should do it with Conley.
Whatever they decide to do with Conley when he comes back they need to keep Ingles on the floor with Gobert as much as possible. Both are more effective when they are on the floor together and inserting conley for Ingles disrupts that and doesnt offer much that doesnt already exist with Gobert/Ingles.

So apparently, some idiots are still pretending that Bojan would have magically appeared on the team if we hadn't made the move for Conley. Also, the judge is still out on the Conely trade, so don't bruise your hand patting yourself on the back too hard for predicting it was a bad move.

It's ****ing hilarious that Utah is currently #2 in the west and we still have malcontents who want to nit-pick one move while ignoring the fact that the current team is a product of said move leading to another that was key in the current result. Arm-chair expert GMs of the world should not quit their day jobs.

We would be worse right now had we kept Crowder, he would still be jacking up about 6 3 pointers a game at 32%.
Meh, Crowder brings alot of energy off the bench and is good defender who can guard 3s and 4s and play 3 and 4 on offense but most importantly he doesnt cost 32 mil a year.

Whatever they decide to do with Conley when he comes back they need to keep Ingles on the floor with Gobert as much as possible. Both are more effective when they are on the floor together and inserting conley for Ingles disrupts that and doesnt offer much that doesnt already exist with Gobert/Ingles.
Agreed, but it’s more likely Royce - our 2nd best rebounder, best “4”, best perimeter defender, most versatile defender, one of our most efficient shooters, 2nd-best glue-guy, and featured in several of the best 4-man combinations in the league - goes to the bench.

Meh, Crowder brings alot of energy off the bench and is good defender who can guard 3s and 4s and play 3 and 4 on offense but most importantly he doesnt cost 32 mil a year.

Energy and defense don't make up for his terrible offense. We're the best 3 point shooting team in the league, that definitely wouldn't be the case if Crowder was still here.

Energy and defense don't make up for his terrible offense. We're the best 3 point shooting team in the league, that definitely wouldn't be the case if Crowder was still here.
He would have been better than Jeff Green and he’s such a big defensive upgrade over Niang that it makes up for some of the shooting.

Crowder was a better asset than Exum and that was the main thing for me... again most of that was remedied with the JC trade, so NBD now.

You people love to kick guys when they’re down. If you don’t think we will be a better team with him you’re delusional.

You know when Conley will help us the most? Playoff time. When we need someone besides Mitchell to get a bucket he is the guy for that. He has playoff experience and will be someone we can trust and rely on down the stretch in big games. We’ve been so reliant on Mitchell to score down the stretch but we have Bogey and Conley now.

Let’s not act like Conley isn’t good. He is a borderline all-star PG who hasn’t fully integrated in the system yet. We should have traded for him at the trade deadline last year. That would have given him much more time to get used to the offense and system. He is also a great defender. Our team is going to be even scarier when he comes back.

Please stop these garbage threads. His contract even works out perfectly with our timeline. His contract comes off the books right when Gobert and Mitchell are able to get extensions.

Worst comes to worst we have the most valuable expiring contract in the league next year at the trade deadline.

We would be worse right now had we kept Crowder, he would still be shooting under 40% from the field and he would still be jacking up about 6 3 pointers a game at 32%. Our offense is so much better off without him.
Ok so trade crowder for something alot cheaper than conley whose not shooting much better this year than crowder.

Its not about whose the better player or who offers more its about who offers the most at what price.

Conley is making 32 mil this year is the highest paid player on the team and as the title of the thread suggests is irrelevant.

Jazz could do a lot more with 32 mil than what mike conley offers whether thats in the form of a couple bench guys or a starter.

Why not roll some of that money over to retaining favors and bring him off the bench at the 4 or 5?

Jazz could definitely use some depth at 4 and 5 with Ed davis being a bust and tony bradley being meh at best.

Instead the jazz get a depleted bench and a PG that doesnt defend well isnt shooting well and cost 32mil

Thats a poor allocation of resources that could have been used elsewhere.

In no world is conley worth 32 mil for the Jazz.

So apparently, some idiots are still pretending that Bojan would have magically appeared on the team if we hadn't made the move for Conley. Also, the judge is still out on the Conely trade, so don't bruise your hand patting yourself on the back too hard for predicting it was a bad move.

It's ****ing hilarious that Utah is currently #2 in the west and we still have malcontents who want to nit-pick one move while ignoring the fact that the current team is a product of said move leading to another that was key in the current result. Arm-chair expert GMs of the world should not quit their day jobs.
Did Bojan pass up a more lucrative offer from a different playoff team? Conley was a factor but it wasn’t like a Kawhi PG thing... we were the biggest offer he had... that’s reason #1 he came... many said it was an overpay.

I was cool with the Conley deal at the time... I’m still fine with it... he will be better and he will help us.

conley isnt a great defender, hes too small and slight to do much against bigger guards and gets bullied.

Rubio was a far better defender and distributor, Conley was brought in to improve spacing as hes been a better outside shooter than rubio or exum or mudiay but at 32Mil a year i dont think hes worth it.

Hes a good player not disputing that, hes not a 32 mil a year good player as the jazz could have just moved mitchell to PG and and accomplished the same desired spacing.

My only concern on Mike is I don't think he will be better than Ingles and DM have been as pick and roll ball handlers. DM is the closer. Mike has offball value and creators are definitely welcome... but if he takes away a significant amount of possessions from DM and Ingles then its a problem.

I also think those that keep saying he's 21/6 and he's just integrating into the system are ignoring that he's been bad... history tells us he should improve, but his TS% was lower than DM, Ingles, JC, Mudiay. So he needs to pick it up and I'm curious how much of a backseat he takes. He's a defensive downgrade from Royce, but if he can be really efficient in a reduced role and help others to be a little more effective then it works.

He's not irrelevant. Right now we have guys like Mudiay and JC playing huge roles... those guys may not be able to create and play as well or as much in the playoffs... specifically after the first round. Conley's creation could be big at that point. He has been a gamer in the playoffs in previous years and I think he can get better this year... many of our guys struggled out of the gate.

I still think it would make sense to bring him off the bench... DM is an elite pick and roll guy, Ingles in an elite pick and roll guy, Mike has been in years past. I think defensively it just makes sense to start bigger and maybe close with the Conley, DM, Ingles, Bojan, Rudy lineup. The LA teams pose some matchup issues.

I wonder if we could use his salary better given what we currently know about the roster... the best thing for the team is for him to get back and play well.
Agree with all except Conley being an elite pick-n-ROLL guy. Elite pick-n-POP? Sure.

I loved the Conley trade when it happened and I still think he can become integral to the Jazz. Here are my passing thoughts as i get ready for work

- When Conley comes back Jingles needs to stay with the starting unit. No question in my mind about that.
- What i am frustrated with has been his poor shooting and inability to score. He has also been pretty bad with turnover. I see him struggling with the JAzz offense. This needs to change. If he continues to struggle then something needs to change.
- Worst case if the Jazz management feels that Jazz are better without him his salary could bring in some nice players. Although big contracts- Kevin love comes to mind. Also, i proposed a trade with the Knicks for Randle and Morris. Again the question is wether Conley will help the Jazz when he returns.
- I think Conley will be a net positive come play off time but he needs to get more efficient with his scoring for him to help.

Man you guys beat this to death. If there is a way to to swap conley for a one more really good 4/5, I would look at it. Mitchell and Mudiay are looking great at the point. Team is deep at 1 2 3. but 4 + 5, not so much.

Last edited:

You’re overreaching on a few things. But your ideas are generally sound.

Bojan signing because of Conley is the company line. We also put up a ton of money and that usually does the trick.

And while the judge is still out on the trade, it looks like the judge could be out for quite a while longer—which isn’t a particularly good sign in itself.

Keep berating JFC, doe, on your rare visits
<3