What's new

Conley irrelevant...

You’re overreaching on a few things. But your ideas are generally sound.

Bojan signing because of Conley is the company line. We also put up a ton of money and that usually does the trick.

And while the judge is still out on the trade, it looks like the judge could be out for quite a while longer—which isn’t a particularly good sign in itself.

Keep berating JFC, doe, on your rare visits
<3
This. Everything I can find in the media is that the jazz had a superior offer (1 more guaranteed year... Huge for an aging player) and the only players I can find bojan mentioning by name are Mitchell and gobert. He also mentioned the entire roster, which at that point included Conley so there is that. I think the "bogie ONLY signs because of Conley" line is severely overblown.

Man you guys beat this to death. If there is a way to to swap conley for a one more really good 4/5, I would look at it. Mitchell and Mudiay are looking great at the point. Team is deep at 1 2 3. but 4 + 5, not so much.
This guy gets it. How about we talk Bosh out of retirement?

This. Everything I can find in the media is that the jazz had a superior offer (1 more guaranteed year... Huge for an aging player) and the only players I can find bojan mentioning by name are Mitchell and gobert. He also mentioned the entire roster, which at that point included Conley so there is that. I think the "bogie ONLY signs because of Conley" line is severely overblown.
Whether it’s overblown or not, it’s interesting to track the career of this “factoid.” It’s gone from a piece of evidence to celebrate the acquisition of Conley to something akin to a salve for a possible wound.

Whether it’s overblown or not, it’s interesting to track the career of this “factoid.” It’s gone from a piece of evidence to celebrate the acquisition of Conley to something akin to a salve for a possible wound.
Great point... its something either side can spin. Conley gave us some moment so it might be stronger than I think... I just think if he gets offered 5-10M more over the life of the contract he goes somewhere else.

Great point... its something either side can spin. Conley gave us some moment so it might be stronger than I think... I just think if he gets offered 5-10M more over the life of the contract he goes somewhere else.
I’m still harboring some irrationally based belief that things will work out fine this season. Our offense has finally gotten more complex and better at creating the advantages our ballhandlers need to maximize their effects (I nearly hit my knees and praised Geebus when we started using double/stagger screens at the three point line). Conley can use these sets; and maybe he’ll also get the P-n-P with Bojan (please Geebus??).

We should only play Conley when the game is not in question, and either we are blowing the opponent out or are getting blown out We don't need him messing up our chemistry trying to acclimate to a system he may never fit in with. We bit the bullet on that ridiculous contract but somehow escaped serious damage on the court with the other players we signed. If he plays well with the few minutes we do give him, then we can increase his time in small doses so as not to effect our current winning program....capesh? 15 out of 16 and 10 in a row is hard to come by and we don't need to experiment with Conley to see if that can be improved....which it can't!

Iggy was better than Bogut or whoever they played at center and Barnes.

The thought behind the Lou Will thing is exactly in line with the Conley off the bench thinking... Ingles and Rudy have a deadly PnR combo... why break that up... Conley creates defensive issues with starting lineups we will face (who guards PG and Kawhi).
They didn't want to play Draymond as full-time C. That's why they signed Pachulia and McGee after Bogut.

Conley would never say he wouldn't defend starting guards and his defensive shortcomings are slowly getting exaggerated. He wasn't a liability out there and if he fits into the offense, the trade-off would be negligible tbh. I trust Quin, come playoff time to make the right choices, especially defensively. But till playoffs Conley starts because he is a borderline all-star.

Ingles will start so Rudy and he will share the floor majority of his minutes.

I see the Jazz moving their 2020 1st round pick before the deadline as well as Ed Davis. Possibly picking up:

Nemanja Bjelica
Al Fariq Aminu
Larry Nance Jr. (bigger contract 12M would require Davis, Niang, Oni and Morgan to make it work + a 1st rounder obviously, but would be a bigger GET than Clarkson - also would be sweet to beat the Lakers in the playoffs with Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson as key components. :)

Dennis Scott recently said that Mike Conley would have no problem coming off the bench if that's what was asked of him. He is watching the Jazz, and just excited to fit back in and see how he does on the most winning team that he's ever played for.

I see the Jazz moving their 2020 1st round pick before the deadline as well as Ed Davis. Possibly picking up:

Nemanja Bjelica
Al Fariq Aminu
Larry Nance Jr. (bigger contract 12M would require Davis, Niang, Oni and Morgan to make it work + a 1st rounder obviously, but would be a bigger GET than Clarkson - also would be sweet to beat the Lakers in the playoffs with Larry Nance and Jordan Clarkson as key components. :)

Dennis Scott recently said that Mike Conley would have no problem coming off the bench if that's what was asked of him. He is watching the Jazz, and just excited to fit back in and see how he does on the most winning team that he's ever played for.
What you see is illegal. They can't trade the 2020 pick. Aminu is out for the year so that'd be a non-starter.

What you see is illegal. They can't trade the 2020 pick. Aminu is out for the year so that'd be a non-starter.

Okay then, their 2021 pick. Point being, they are so close right now - they are going to shore up any weak spots they see in their roster. The rebounding and frontcourt defense will be addressed. Count on it.

I could also see them talking with Luc M'bah a Moute or Kenneth Faried, but to your point on Aminu - they are going to want to secure someone who there are no questions about.

They didn't want to play Draymond as full-time C. That's why they signed Pachulia and McGee after Bogut.

Conley would never say he wouldn't defend starting guards and his defensive shortcomings are slowly getting exaggerated. He wasn't a liability out there and if he fits into the offense, the trade-off would be negligible tbh. I trust Quin, come playoff time to make the right choices, especially defensively. But till playoffs Conley starts because he is a borderline all-star.

Ingles will start so Rudy and he will share the floor majority of his minutes.

Right, but they also started Barnes and Pachulia over Iggy... because they needed a guy who could hit spot up shots and needed a guy off the bench that could handle the ball more... does this sound familiar to another situation?

Conley can defend starting point guards... but then DM has to guard a SG or SF... So the Clips start Bev, PG and Kawhi… Conley will do fine on Bev, but now DM (our main creator) has a bigger responsibility on PG or Kawhi… unless you want Bogey guarding one guy.

Ingles and Rudy in the PnR is working great... DM is among the best players as a PnR ballhandler... so does Conley spot up then? Great... so does Bojan and Royce so not a big benefit there. Bojan is fine as a tertiary creator in that lineup... is Conley taking that role and pushing him down a notch. Does DM chill and spot up in the first quarter? Like its not ideal.

Royce to Conley is a big defensive downgrade. Royce provides the length and rebounding those units need.

Conley played like a borderline all star last year... this year his percentages would make him the worst shooter in our current rotation... those numbers should absolutely go up. Manu was a fuggin hall of famer... he came off the bench because it worked better.

Does Conley replacing Royce make the best 5-man lineup in the league better?

Okay then, their 2021 pick. Point being, they are so close right now - they are going to shore up any weak spots they see in their roster. The rebounding and frontcourt defense will be addressed. Count on it.

I could also see them talking with Luc M'bah a Moute or Kenneth Faried, but to your point on Aminu - they are going to want to secure someone who there are no questions about.

It would have to be 2023 or after.

I can't believe anyone who watches this team would want Crowder back. Him moving on had to happen regardless of other changes.
Didnt say i wanted him back said id rather have him than conley and his 32mil salary to " spread the floor" i like conley i think hes a solid guy a good player, i just dont think hes worth the 32mil hes currently costing and that that money could have been used elsewhere, like a bench.