What's new

Copa America 2016

I think the biggest difference is just the ball handling. No one on the USA has confidence they can beat the pressure and just do panic kicks or they have a horrible first touch and just outright lose the ball. Meanwhile you see Messi running near full speed while the ball is practically attached to his feet, just ridiculous.

This is the crux of it. The reason Argentina are able to penetrate so well and execute such pinpoint passes between the defensive layout is not all about positioning and seeing things - it's because they keep control of the ball at all times. They don't kick it past a defender and then try to outrun the defender to the ball. They are able to control at all times in all situations, and lay it off perfectly at just the right moment.

It was amazing watching them. We need to send spies to go grow up in Argentina and see what they focus on in their youth programs.

This is the crux of it. The reason Argentina are able to penetrate so well and execute such pinpoint passes between the defensive layout is not all about positioning and seeing things - it's because they keep control of the ball at all times. They don't kick it past a defender and then try to outrun the defender to the ball. They are able to control at all times in all situations, and lay it off perfectly at just the right moment.

It was amazing watching them. We need to send spies to go grow up in Argentina and see what they focus on in their youth programs.

LMAO, all Zardes does is kick the ball past a defender and try to outrun them. Dude plays hard but has a terrible first touch for an offensive player.

Well it appears that several MLS teams are starting to lay some roots down and the MLS is growing in popularity, money and reach. Not nearly at the level of places like Europe and South America. But it's a start, hopefully it continues to build.

I'm starting to get into it on a national and local team level.

Well it appears that several MLS teams are starting to lay some roots down and the MLS is growing in popularity, money and reach. Not nearly at the level of places like Europe and South America. But it's a start, hopefully it continues to build.

I'm starting to get into it on a national and local team level.

Truly, the growth of soccer as a competitive professional sport has been astronomical since the birth of MLS. It doesn't seem like it's come all that long of a way... but it really has. To the point where the momentum is very considerable now... I truly believe that in the next 20-30 years, soccer will become every bit as much a major sport in this country as football, basketball, and baseball are.

But that's just my opinion.

Obviously Argentina beats the US no matter who we put out there but lemme just say: that was a **** lineup Klinsmann put out there. He talked all week about taking it to the Argentinians and then he moves Bradley (our defensive midfielder) up and puts Beckerman (even more defensive) in his place. And then, he puts Ashlyn Harris (Wondolowski) up top with Dempsey? Wondolowski is a poacher, he doesn't hold up, he's not going to get in behind, he gets in the right place and (sometimes) finishes garbage goals one time (cough* Belgium cough*). I don't know what the plan was but with this kind of non-possession/no speed/conservativism, it's no surprise we managed to not attempt a shot. Yes, we didn't attempt a shot, the entire game. The loss isn't on Klinsmann, but the way we played and how we lost definitely is.

Why not start Nagbe and Pulisic and see what happens? Maybe we look a little better. Maybe we possess the ball and find our attacking boots. The scoreline may have been the same but at least we'd have gone for it. I love Beckerman but, nobody is stopping Messi in that position so why don't we have somebody there who brings some other qualities to the game. Bradley was **** again.

Hopefully we put together a better performance on Saturday.

Truly, the growth of soccer as a competitive professional sport has been astronomical since the birth of MLS. It doesn't seem like it's come all that long of a way... but it really has. To the point where the momentum is very considerable now... I truly believe that in the next 20-30 years, soccer will become every bit as much a major sport in this country as football, basketball, and baseball are.

But that's just my opinion.

Especially since teams like RSL and Sporting KC are pouring money, facilities and staff in development leagues like U13 and U18 leagues. Brick by brick.

The big thing about youth soccer is that in America it's primarily an upper class sport.

Football can be, as well as baseball. Tennis and golf definitely are.

But we have evidence from other countries that it doesn't HAVE to be an upper class sport. Indeed, it's very popular in the lower classes of a lot of third world countries. Why? Because it's something kids dream about.

I believe that as the sport gets more popular and becomes more visible to the lower classes, it will be just as popular. But just like any sport, there will always be an advantage to those that can afford to put their children in specialized training programs and competitive leagues - just like basketball and baseball.

Football can be, as well as baseball. Tennis and golf definitely are.

But we have evidence from other countries that it doesn't HAVE to be an upper class sport. Indeed, it's very popular in the lower classes of a lot of third world countries. Why? Because it's something kids dream about.

I believe that as the sport gets more popular and becomes more visible to the lower classes, it will be just as popular. But just like any sport, there will always be an advantage to those that can afford to put their children in specialized training programs and competitive leagues - just like basketball and baseball.

Basketball (same for Football) programs take kids in, I think mainly through shoe sponsorship money. Soccer is pretty much paid for by the parents of the kids. Third world countries arent turning out a lot of top soccer players, the big nations are who have these huge soccer clubs that fund youth development like Nike/Adidas/UA fund youth development basketball in the USA.

Basketball (same for Football) programs take kids in, I think mainly through shoe sponsorship money. Soccer is pretty much paid for by the parents of the kids. Third world countries arent turning out a lot of top soccer players, the big nations are who have these huge soccer clubs that fund youth development like Nike/Adidas/UA fund youth development basketball in the USA.

Brazil?
Argentina?
Columbia?
Mexico?
Former Eastern Bloc?

That's what I'm referring to. Given that there's no hard and fast definition for a third world country, perhaps I should have been more clear.