What's new

Coronavirus

...Aaannnddd here is the start of food rationing in Wuhan.

They have been distributing food for awhile in wuhan. People are not allowed to leave their houses right now, it's illegal in wuhan. This was a large shipment that was supposed to be distributed but it got leaked that there was food at this local. About 80 people came and lined up. People in the area are upset that they were allowed outside and to get close to each other. They are blaming the local leaders for messing up again.

My friends family there has said they are getting food regularly but have had a few small gaps early in the process but it's been much better in the last month.

ignorance is strength!

the less people know the better this will be! #MAGA #KAG
Is it possible that media want clicks and views?
Could they try to make headlines "sexier" than they need to be?
I say yes to both questions.
It's at least possible that this is/will be no worse than the yearly flu. Ron Mexico been saying this since day 1.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I have no idea if the world health organization knows what is talking about or not but: According to the World Health Organization, as of February 26, there have been 2,918 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of China. 53 of these are in the United States. There have been 44 deaths, none in the United States. Compare this to influenza, which the CDC estimates will infect between 29,000,000 and 41,000,000 people in the United States alone during the 2019-20 season, resulting in 16,000 to 41,000 deaths.
From someone who says they are a doctor:
1. Coronavirus itself isn’t new. Just like influenza, coronavirus is a family of respiratory viruses, and there are multiple strains, which have the ability to change over time. Coronavirus is already common in the United States, and has been for years. I have personally cared for patients with this diagnosis.

2. Novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, is the strain we’re hearing about in the news. It emerged in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019.

3. Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Just like the flu and common cold, it is spread person to person via respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

4. According to the World Health Organization, as of February 26, there have been 2,918 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of China. 53 of these are in the United States. There have been 44 deaths, none in the United States. Compare this to influenza, which the CDC estimates will infect between 29,000,000 and 41,000,000 people in the United States alone during the 2019-20 season, resulting in 16,000 to 41,000 deaths.

5. “But there’s no cure!” You’re right. There’s no magic pill that cures the flu either. But there is a flu vaccine (that doesn’t cause autism) that can protect you from our most common respiratory viruses. Maybe go get one.

6. So, why are we panicking? Frankly, because the media tells us to. Manufacturing a pandemic is a great way to boost ratings, but everything science knows so far about COVID-19 has revealed it to be no more than yet another respiratory virus (and there are thousands).

7. The scariest part of COVID-19 isn’t the virus itself, it’s the resulting baseless mass paranoia. Hospitals are hoarding supplies, creating shortages of PPE necessary to protect healthcare workers and patients. Cities are refusing to house and treat sick people who have nowhere else to go. People are using the virus as an excuse for their own social prejudices.

So, what can you do? Turn off the TV and arm yourself with the facts. Stop the spread of false information.

And for Pete’s sake, wash your hand

I have no idea if the world health organization knows what is talking about or not but: According to the World Health Organization, as of February 26, there have been 2,918 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of China. 53 of these are in the United States. There have been 44 deaths, none in the United States. Compare this to influenza, which the CDC estimates will infect between 29,000,000 and 41,000,000 people in the United States alone during the 2019-20 season, resulting in 16,000 to 41,000 deaths.
1. Coronavirus itself isn’t new. Just like influenza, coronavirus is a family of respiratory viruses, and there are multiple strains, which have the ability to change over time. Coronavirus is already common in the United States, and has been for years. I have personally cared for patients with this diagnosis.

2. Novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, is the strain we’re hearing about in the news. It emerged in Wuhan, China at the end of 2019.

3. Symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Just like the flu and common cold, it is spread person to person via respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

4. According to the World Health Organization, as of February 26, there have been 2,918 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside of China. 53 of these are in the United States. There have been 44 deaths, none in the United States. Compare this to influenza, which the CDC estimates will infect between 29,000,000 and 41,000,000 people in the United States alone during the 2019-20 season, resulting in 16,000 to 41,000 deaths.

5. “But there’s no cure!” You’re right. There’s no magic pill that cures the flu either. But there is a flu vaccine (that doesn’t cause autism) that can protect you from our most common respiratory viruses. Maybe go get one.

6. So, why are we panicking? Frankly, because the media tells us to. Manufacturing a pandemic is a great way to boost ratings, but everything science knows so far about COVID-19 has revealed it to be no more than yet another respiratory virus (and there are thousands).

7. The scariest part of COVID-19 isn’t the virus itself, it’s the resulting baseless mass paranoia. Hospitals are hoarding supplies, creating shortages of PPE necessary to protect healthcare workers and patients. Cities are refusing to house and treat sick people who have nowhere else to go. People are using the virus as an excuse for their own social prejudices.

So, what can you do? Turn off the TV and arm yourself with the facts. Stop the spread of false information.

To be transparent, the first US death was reported today, but I largely agree with you. And this is coming from someone who has a COVID-19 patient housed at the hospital down the road from his house (I live in the Portland metro area, where cases are now starting to pop up).

To be transparent, the first US death was reported today, but I largely agree with you. And this is coming from someone who has a COVID-19 patient housed at the hospital down the road from his house (I live in the Portland metro area, where cases are now starting to pop up).
Tbh I'm not even sure if I agree with me. Just posting some info that I am hoping is correct.
I have also read troubling scary info as well.

I do think that the media does like to get eyes on their articles and television shows, etc though bc and I do think that the panic COULD be worse than the actual virus.

Tbh I'm not even sure if I agree with me. Just posting some info that I am hoping is correct.
I have also read troubling scary info as well.

I do think that the media does like to get eyes on their articles and television shows, etc though bc and I do think that the panic COULD be worse than the actual virus.

Id say the tougher thing for me personally is sending my kids off to school where I know for a fact that:

1) there are confirmed cases of the virus within a quarter mile of my house

2) my kids are unsanitary little devils that inevitably put things in their mouths, don’t wash their hands enough, etc.

I try to remind myself that it’s primarily affecting the elderly who have respiratory conditions.

I try to remind myself that it’s primarily affecting the elderly who have respiratory conditions.

That is no comfort for me as I am 59 with respiratory and heart problems. I'm a prime target. But I'm also a prime target for influenza and manage to not get it, so here's hoping.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

lmfao you got this from the comments section from a user from some yahoo article.

"A study by Chinese researchers published Friday in the New England Journal of Medicine analyzing 1,099 patients at more than 500 hospitals throughout China calculated a death rate of 1.4%, substantially lower than earlier studies that focused on patients in Wuhan, where it started and has been most severe.

Assuming there are many more cases with no or very mild symptoms, “the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%,” U.S. health officials wrote in an editorial in the journal.

That would make the new virus more like a severe seasonal flu than a disease similar to its genetic cousins SARS, severe acute respiratory syndrome, or MERS, Middle East respiratory syndrome."

https://triblive.com/news/wire-stories/virus-effect-on-world-economy-grows-more-alarming/

New England Journal of Medicine study referenced in above quote:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032

And the editorial referenced above:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article

Last edited:
That is no comfort for me as I am 59 with respiratory and heart problems. I'm a prime target. But I'm also a prime target for influenza and manage to not get it, so here's hoping.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm in a similar situation, and I'm a number of years older. This was the first year in ages that I actually got a flu shot.

The Rhode Island DOH just announced the first presumptive coronavirus case here. Still needs to be confirmed by a CDC lab. A person in their 40's who traveled to Italy in mid Feb. I could have guessed that would be the path into RI, as we have a very large Italian American community, though I do not know if he or she was a member of that community.

Id say the tougher thing for me personally is sending my kids off to school where I know for a fact that:

1) there are confirmed cases of the virus within a quarter mile of my house

2) my kids are unsanitary little devils that inevitably put things in their mouths, don’t wash their hands enough, etc.

I actually read something (don't remember where or have any idea if it's factual) that said that kids under a certain age seem to be immune to it. Like there are no cases of kids under this age (I think it was under 15 but can't remember) get the virus.

Take that with a grain of salt though cause I have no idea where I read that.

lmfao you got this from the comments section from a user from some yahoo article.
Ya I put right in my post: from someone who says they are a doctor. I didn't try to say it was official or link an article.

Doesn't make it untrue.

I actually read something (don't remember where or have any idea if it's factual) that said that kids under a certain age seem to be immune to it. Like there are no cases of kids under this age (I think it was under 15 but can't remember) get the virus.

Take that with a grain of salt though cause I have no idea where I read that.

last I had read there were no confirmed cases of children under 9, so that it something to keep an eye on for sure. Doesn’t necessarily mean they are immune, perhaps just experience more mild symptoms, therefore not prompting a dr visit/diagnosis.