What's new

Crazy Weather Thread

JazzGal

Contributor
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Lots of horrible weather things happening in the world - but I mostly want to make sure @Red is okay since Henri hit RI.

And if we have any Tennessean Jazzfanzers, hope you are okay as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lots of horrible weather things happening in the world - but I mostly want to make sure @Red is okay since Henri hit RI.

And if we have any Tennessean Jazzfanzers, hope you are okay as well.

Thanks for asking. I expected the worse, based on the track when I went to bed last night, but the storm veered west after the eye came ashore, and we hardly had any rain, and just minimum wind. Lots of power outages on our south facing Atlantic coast, but we were spared even that, despite being only about 20 miles from the eye.

really unusual for a storm like that to be so lop-sided so near the eye.

Utah media is still running "Slow the Flow" ads talking about reservoirs being low and all, after a month of record rainfall statewide, with many areas flash flooded. I had a normal years' rain/prec total inside a month with three off-the-charts storms.

The last was a winter-season storm front fed with subtropical moisture. A lot of farmers lost a cutting of hay, but they still have time to get a new cutting in early October. Roads and ditches washed out at my place, tens of thousands of dollars in damage. I live with it. Lost some livestock due to disrupted conditions.

The West....... California and Arizona...... needs mega desalination works. If the government did that, the Colorado River water could be re-allocated. Las Vegas and St. George are in major growth and need water. The reservoirs should be kept higher. Every city should recycle waste water. Las Vegas recycles over 60%

There's no need for draconian water cops patrolling our towns. We need to build better water systems, do desalination like crazy, and keep our towns sorta green abundant.

If the oceans are really getting warmer, one of the first results will be more rain overall, changes in weather patterns, but more rain overall. A few years ago I thought we were +1C on our SST globally, but that has cooled some overall. Mostly Arctic deviation now.

Any Jazzfanzers from Louisiana? You are the Jazz roots after all. Best wishes to all of you in this Ida tragedy.

I’m really not trying to be a jerk when I say this but is it really a tragedy? This was as predictable as it gets. Every year there are multiple, legit hurricanes. Sometimes they hit New Orleans. A city built below sea level. 160 billion in damage was caused as a result of Katrina. Should money just continue to be pissed away every decade or so when “tragedy” hits? Sorry, but the nomads were smarter.

I’m really not trying to be a jerk when I say this but is it really a tragedy? This was as predictable as it gets. Every year there are multiple, legit hurricanes. Sometimes they hit New Orleans. A city built below sea level. 160 billion in damage was caused as a result of Katrina. Should money just continue to be pissed away every decade or so when “tragedy”

I'd say this is a double tragedy as you have these fools that keep building their house upon the sand.

I’m really not trying to be a jerk when I say this but is it really a tragedy? This was as predictable as it gets. Every year there are multiple, legit hurricanes. Sometimes they hit New Orleans. A city built below sea level. 160 billion in damage was caused as a result of Katrina. Should money just continue to be pissed away every decade or so when “tragedy” hits? Sorry, but the nomads were smarter.
This. I remember after Katrina they talked to some guy whose house basically was washed away. He said something like he'd already rebuilt 3 times, what's a 4th? Unbelievably ridiculous considering he doesn't bear the cost, emergency funds and insurance does, so in the end we pay for their stupidity.

I'd say this is a double tragedy as you have these fools that keep building their house upon the sand.
There's always another way to see things.

We humans are destined to pursue our dreams, whatever the hell they are. Sometimes having all the odds or good reasons against you just makes you do more to win the prize. We learn to do what doesn't make sense, what nobody thought we ever could or would do. This is all good.

Holland has recovered a lot of good land from the see. Salt Lake City is built on the geological epoch low water mark for Lake Bonneville. We will have to build a "seawall" about 600 ft. high to keep our sacred Temple. But we can and will do it.

New Orleans only has to build a seawall another 200 ft. high.

We will also go to the moon, and transport big tankers filled with water recovered from our higher atmosphere above 30k ft . Cost effective sourse of water for the Moon.

This. I remember after Katrina they talked to some guy whose house basically was washed away. He said something like he'd already rebuilt 3 times, what's a 4th? Unbelievably ridiculous considering he doesn't bear the cost, emergency funds and insurance does, so in the end we pay for their stupidity.
Most insurance companies issuing flood policies take all that into account. Much higher rates. The people pay.

Also, New Orleans is more of positive cash cow for government than San Francisco or New York.

I think Wilford Woodruff, a Mormon "prophet" had a dream where he saw NYC a desolation, something like the Dems are making it into day.

Most insurance companies issuing flood policies take all that into account. Much higher rates. The people pay.

Also, New Orleans is more of positive cash cow for government than San Francisco or New York.

I think Wilford Woodruff, a Mormon "prophet" had a dream where he saw NYC a desolation, something like the Dems are making it into day.
Even with higher rates they don't pay enough to cover the cost of complete rebuilds over time. And a decent chunk of the expense comes directly from emergency funds as they can apply for grants to help rebuild. If they actually had to foot the cost they would move, plain and simple.

Even with higher rates they don't pay enough to cover the cost of complete rebuilds over time. And a decent chunk of the expense comes directly from emergency funds as they can apply for grants to help rebuild. If they actually had to foot the cost they would move, plain and simple.
I don't believe this. If they had to pay it all out of pocket, and there ware no insurance companies nor government grants at all, they would still rebuild.

They might also put more pressure on their local governments to build betterdamn dikes.

They might build with morewater-resistant materials and do more second and third floors when they do rebuild, and maybe park a damn houseboat in their front orback yard.

But love of place is stronger than love of God or love or money. They won't move.

Well if you hang in there a few more years there will be no forests left to burn so there’s that…

grass fires produce smoke too.

The whole "ecology" and "environment" crowd is discredited with this stupidity. All over California there are signs up for Newsome: "Graze it, Log it, or watch it burn."

This is simply bad regulations based on fake science.

Our lumber industry is heavily invested in tree farms in Georgia, Minnesota, etc, where corporates have acquired large tracts of land to grow commercial trees. They also lobby DC and states to shut down forestry on public lands.

Blame those damn bastards for it all.

I feel the same way about these people who are building all over the gravel pit in north salt lake and the point of the mountain. That can’t be safe. And when their homes are wiped away by an earthquake or a wet year, I don’t want to pay for their stupidity.

I feel the same way about these people who are building all over the gravel pit in north salt lake and the point of the mountain. That can’t be safe. And when their homes are wiped away by an earthquake or a wet year, I don’t want to pay for their stupidity.
That'll be fine. There used to be a gravel pit right next to Brighton High School that coaches forced to run in after games in which they didn't think we put in enough effort. It is all houses now and as far as I know none of them have fallen down.