What's new

Crazy Weather Thread

I don't believe this. If they had to pay it all out of pocket, and there ware no insurance companies nor government grants at all, they would still rebuild.

They might also put more pressure on their local governments to build betterdamn dikes.

They might build with morewater-resistant materials and do more second and third floors when they do rebuild, and maybe park a damn houseboat in their front orback yard.

But love of place is stronger than love of God or love or money. They won't move.
Let's compromise on many would leave, some would stay.

grass fires produce smoke too.

The whole "ecology" and "environment" crowd is discredited with this stupidity. All over California there are signs up for Newsome: "Graze it, Log it, or watch it burn."

This is simply bad regulations based on fake science.

Our lumber industry is heavily invested in tree farms in Georgia, Minnesota, etc, where corporates have acquired large tracts of land to grow commercial trees. They also lobby DC and states to shut down forestry on public lands.

Blame those damn bastards for it all.
Important to add that 45% of all land in California is federally-owned so it's not up to Newsom what to do with it.

It's always bothered me when people think governors and local officials can solve all of a state's issues when they don't have the jurisdiction to do so.

Important to add that 45% of all land in California is federally-owned so it's not up to Newsom what to do with it.

It's always bothered me when people think governors and local officials can solve all of a state's issues when they don't have the jurisdiction to do so.

I wonder why there are not interagency wars over this......Surely someone in a federal or state position supposedly working on air quality could make a phone call or two.

CalFire has facilities for fire fighting equipment, and I imagine does most of the fire fighting. Federal agencies are involved to, I'm sure.

I talked to Nevada's top official managing fire fighting. He had his arms tattooed with "Never leave a fallen soldier behind". I had driven by a fire that day, and he asked me about it. It was in an explosive phase, and some of his people did get trapped that day. He had managed CalFire also for about 10 years.

I meet all kinds of people. I sometimes get to tell them what I think, don't know it it makes a difference.

The fire in Independence valley when he lost I think three men was an area of grassland where the BLM doesn't permit enough grazing.

Let's compromise on many would leave, some would stay.

Neither of us has a dog in this fight. We should both just smile at one another and let it go.

I used to think the same thing you said.

I was in a typhoon-fed flood once, about seven typhoons over 45 days. I was in a low-lying delta area where fish ponds had been build along the river in the tidal zone, restricting flow. There was a huge damn up in the mountains above us that almost washed out. This was in the Philippines, about a hundred miles from the US airbase at Angeles..... Clark air base. US helicopters were doing food drops on city buildings. I rode around in little motor canoes..... Old homes were built on bamboo stilts. New homes all got flooded.

My ranch is in a flood zone. I've been washed out, well, sorta, about ten times. The fields gain an inch or two of mud when that happens. I've had running water going past my house, never inside. I try to manage it with dikes and ditches, plus build up areas i want kept dry.

I have a cousin who lived in Louisiana for some years. A rather idealistic doctor who picks the poorest people to help. I think what I was trying to say is that people there accept it as their way of life. Those who would leave just never put down roots there.

Tornados have gotten worse here in NJ year by year. One hit south Jersey today and destroyed a decent amount of homes and other ****.

I actually added tornado insurance and sinkhole two years ago.

Tornados have gotten worse here in NJ year by year. One hit south Jersey today and destroyed a decent amount of homes and other ****.

I actually added tornado insurance and sinkhole two years ago.
One hit about a mile from me today in Annapolis. Lot of damage but no serious injuries.

I feel the same way about these people who are building all over the gravel pit in north salt lake and the point of the mountain. That can’t be safe. And when their homes are wiped away by an earthquake or a wet year, I don’t want to pay for their stupidity.

That'll be fine. There used to be a gravel pit right next to Brighton High School that coaches forced to run in after games in which they didn't think we put in enough effort. It is all houses now and as far as I know none of them have fallen down.

I live in NSL (not that part of it). I think the same thing. I keep watching new houses going up at the top of that and wonder what the hell they are thinking. There’s a reason the cement company is digging the other side of it.
We have some former neighbors who moved up that way and a couple years ago they had their house literally knocked of the foundation due to a landslide.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz