What's new

Cutting the Cord in 2022 -- Tell Me How

Is the quality good and is it reliable? I'm willing to pay something for not having a hassle to deal with on a regular basis.

Quality is pretty good for most movies and shows. Not 4K quality but usually 720 quality. Its pretty reliable. For tv shows it is very reliable. For movies that have been out for a while its quite reliable. For new movie releases it is hit or miss.
For being free it’s fantastic but still not as good as something you would pay for but again, it literally has every tv show on every channel or streaming service and almost every movie ever made including movies still in the theaters only.

The sportsurge thing is lower quality and less reliable. But it has every game of every sport (college and pro) including ufc ppv.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm a dinosaur. I have cable. I have Netflix and Prime for free, and pay for Disney+. It is all expensive, but I can watch nearly everything I want to watch without a lot of hassle. We like sports other than the Jazz in my household, so we need a wide variety of channels.

I'm a dinosaur. I have cable. I have Netflix and Prime for free, and pay for Disney+. It is all expensive, but I can watch nearly everything I want to watch without a lot of hassle. We like sports other than the Jazz in my household, so we need a wide variety of channels.
That's kind of been where I've been at. I pay the cable bill, and it's painful, but once that's done I have a very easy and reliable path to all the content I want.

My actual biggest issue with Xfinity is that when you call and complain that you bill is too high they have solutions that can save you a considerable amount... for 6 months. Then you bill goes back up, and it often creeps back up a little month to month and then you have to call them again to get their best price. These calls can take upwards of an hour because they want to play with you, like this is some KSL.com classifieds (or craig's list, or facebook marketplace or whatever the kids are using these days) haggle over the price of lawn furniture. So they offer you a small savings but if you push they will eventually offer you bigger savings. I've been paying a premium for their service for a long damn time. I don't want to call them every 6 months and haggle over my bill. I want some respect for being a reliable customer and I want their best deal without having to beg for it.

That is the biggest reason I want to get rid of them. If just one time they contacted me and said "We have a great new lower rate for you on your current service that you'll see on your next bill!" then I'd probably not leave. But since I have to call and fight the mini-boss until I get passed to the main boss before I can unlock my savings I'm done. It's too much.

I'm too tired to bother with the fight. I just pay whatever it takes to keep my current plan, which I like.

I'm too tired to bother with the fight. I just pay whatever it takes to keep my current plan, which I like.
Oh I get it. It just bothers me that you have to pay more because you don't want to play their little game and they use that to make more money at your expense while rewarding people who have the time and inclination to call and haggle with them for a few hours every 6 months.

Pshhh...old people. :rolleyes:

That's kind of been where I've been at. I pay the cable bill, and it's painful, but once that's done I have a very easy and reliable path to all the content I want.

My actual biggest issue with Xfinity is that when you call and complain that you bill is too high they have solutions that can save you a considerable amount... for 6 months. Then you bill goes back up, and it often creeps back up a little month to month and then you have to call them again to get their best price. These calls can take upwards of an hour because they want to play with you, like this is some KSL.com classifieds (or craig's list, or facebook marketplace or whatever the kids are using these days) haggle over the price of lawn furniture. So they offer you a small savings but if you push they will eventually offer you bigger savings. I've been paying a premium for their service for a long damn time. I don't want to call them every 6 months and haggle over my bill. I want some respect for being a reliable customer and I want their best deal without having to beg for it.

That is the biggest reason I want to get rid of them. If just one time they contacted me and said "We have a great new lower rate for you on your current service that you'll see on your next bill!" then I'd probably not leave. But since I have to call and fight the mini-boss until I get passed to the main boss before I can unlock my savings I'm done. It's too much.
There are services that will take care of price negotiating for you. Their fee is a portion of the amount saved. I find with Comcast I just threaten to cancel as they retention team has the best pricing. I only use them for internet now.

We’re not big tv watchers in my house. Well, the youngest two kids would be if we let them. We’re just gone so much. There are only like tw or three series that I like. I just stream them for free on the CBS app the next day. We do have the Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ bundle. Even then, we’re considering dropping that. I pay for Amazon Prime, so we have Prime video. I secretly (don’t tell the wife) pay for HBO max and she has a Hallmark channel subscription (freaking women). During college football season I pay for Sling and then cancel after the season and bowl game is over.

We’re not big tv watchers in my house.
Only have a small TV huh? Too bad.

B5v8.gif

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to TV in the next 20-30 yrs. I think people watch stuff probably just as much in their mobile devices as a big screen. And I don’t know of anyone other than my parents who actually turn on the tv and watch live broadcasting. Almost everyone I know turns tv on to their favorite streaming provider and watches something specific that they want. Channel surfing is gone. Honestly, I think I watch most of my sports now recorded. The only time I watch stuff live is when I have guests. Otherwise, I’m at least one hour behind so I can fast forward through the endless timeouts, commercials, and replay challenges. The worst are NFL halftimes, where they have to let every one of their twenty former coaches and players weigh in on the game giving obvious pts. “If they can sack Brady before he can throw the ball then they’ll be in good shape” or “the team that scores the most will win.”

Do we really need this?

Is it possible in USA to subscribe a streaming service, which also allows to watch almost every movie or TV series, that is listed in IMDB? Or at least was shown either in a movie theatre or released on VHS, DVD, Blueray. And not only Hollywood production, but also from other countries from Europe or Asia? For example, can somebody test whether the following is viewable on their service they use (Youtube, Disney, Netflix, Prime, etc? of course, no need to test if you need to pay extra money to just view whether the movie is available to watch.

Get a firestick. Get cinema HD app. Then you have hbo, netflix, prime, disney, hulu, and literally every other channel and streaming service in existence. You also have all the movies that are still in the theaters. Use a vpn.
Only thing you dont get is live sports. So you use the web browser on the firestick to go to sportsurge.net. Now you have every sporting event.

Zero dollars per month. (Actually like 10 per month for the vpn, though some vpn are free so it really could be zero per month)

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Just ordered a fire stick.

I'll report back with my experience using that with Cinema HD. I kind of feel like we're back in the Napster days again with these streaming sites. Truth be told, once the industry figures out how to serve the customers properly I'll be perfectly happy paying a reasonable amount for convenience, reliability, quality and choice. I'm looking at either paying the cable company that I absolutely hate hundreds of dollars a month and getting jerked around on my rate or signing up for half a dozen different services and saving like $60 a month.

I’d love for a cable or satellite company to come up with a plan where you can pick the channels you want. Like pick any 20 channels for $x per month. Any 40 channels for $y per month type of thing. I’d be all over that.

I’d love for a cable or satellite company to come up with a plan where you can pick the channels you want. Like pick any 20 channels for $x per month. Any 40 channels for $y per month type of thing. I’d be all over that.
I would except for the commercials. Since we haven't had TV at all for like 6 years, any time I do watch TV or see commercials (thanks ****ing Hulu Plus Live TV that still shows ads on damn near everything... **** you Hulu), I get impatient and move on to something else. Cannot stand commercials now. Like worse than ever before when we had TV and were just used to it.

I’d be all over this. NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN, ESPN2, and every other channel by me that has college football games or Mets, Yanks (about ten more channels), NFL Network, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and a few other lesser channels that have films.

We already have HBO Max, Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and Apple TV for streaming services. I had Shudder as well and need to reup it. Also have Tubi, Roku Channel, and a couple others that are free…Pluto is one I think.

Not sure we’d need anything else. Bravo maybe.