What's new

DA/JZ Press Conference

Maybe. I just don’t think they’re going to get to the finals (much less win a championship) in the next two years.

I think by year three at the trade deadline, they’re going to be looking to recoup some of what they spent and trade him to one of his top 3 destinations before he can opt out and sign elsewhere.
I don't think so either but I think that they'll be committed to keeping him for the next three seasons at least.

It really will depend on how Garland/Mobley develop, if they become the best PG/Center in the league (which is possible) they'll certainly have a championship window.

I mean it does give the Jazz more runway to draft a project like Gobert or Giannis if you know you still have a boatload of picks in the chamber instead of going all in on a win now Trey Burke.

I feel like the Jazz are starting the rebuild from the point we were at after we cashed out all of the Williams assets, and we still have more to liquidate and redeem, and haven't yet used ANY of the picks.

You’re not wrong about the first part, and that’s just another reason why a 1-2 rebuild is so unlikely. Anyone who is buying into the 1-2 rebuild thing is a fool. Not just because it’s incredibly unlikely, but it’s the wrong way to go about things.

If you’re going to trade Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert with multiple years on their contract left you ought to commit to the rebuild 100% and be willing to be a ****** team for at least 3 years.

Unless the Cavaliers make the finals or win a championship in the next three seasons I don't think Donovan resigns there. The NBA salary cap is going to make a huge leap when the new CBA comes into effect so he basically has to opt out because he'll be eligible for a much larger max contract.

The Clippers, Lakers, Nets, Knicks, and Heat will probably all have a max slot for him when he does opt out.
That's the double whammy of the cap rising for the Cavs - first it makes it really hard to see him extending with Cleveland before 2025, when he will opt out of his last year. And then the jump is going to be sooooo huge that IMO it makes sacrificing the 10-15M or so he will give up by signing outside ot Cleveland much easier to stommach. IMO he's as good as gone in '25

You’re not wrong about the first part, and that’s just another reason why a 1-2 rebuild is so unlikely. Anyone who is buying into the 1-2 rebuild thing is a fool. Not just because it’s incredibly unlikely, but it’s the wrong way to go about things.

If you’re going to trade Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert with multiple years on their contract left you ought to commit to the rebuild 100% and be willing to be a ****** team for at least 3 years.
I have no idea why people think 1-2 year rebuild is likely. This is wishful thinking. First, you need to actually HIT on some players. And then, they actually need to develop into winning pieces. Very very VERY few players enter the league and immediately are winning you tons of games. You can hit on 2023 draft and 2024 draft and still be bad to mediocre in the 2024-2025 season. And that assumes you actually hit, which is not a given.

I have no idea why people think 1-2 year rebuild is likely. This is wishful thinking. First, you need to actually HIT on some players. And then, they actually need to develop into winning pieces. Very very VERY few players enter the league and immediately are winning you tons of games. You can hit on 2023 draft and 2024 draft and still be bad to mediocre in the 2024-2025 season. And that assumes you actually hit, which is not a given.
Yup. The Thunder drafted Durant/Westbrook and were still bad enough to land Harden in year 3. I think the best case scenario for us is that we start to find our groove just as other teams in the West like the Clippers, Warriors, Lakers, etc. are starting to fade because their core is aging.

What's interesting is that it's possible that Don and Rudy may not make an All Star game on their new teams. Are they even the second best player on each team? Garland and Mobley are likely going to both be better than Mitchell. KAT and Edwards may be better than Gobert.

What's interesting is that it's possible that Don and Rudy may not make an All Star game on their new teams. Are they even the second best player on each team? Garland and Mobley are likely going to both be better than Mitchell. KAT and Edwards may be better than Gobert.
I think there's a strong case that Garland and Mobley are better than Donovan. But it's safe to say that Gobert is the best player on the Timberwolves even though he'll be viewed as the third fiddle, he'll have the biggest impact on winning for them. While Donovan will probably be viewed as the Cavaliers best player but be their third most impactful player.

Exactly….even if you draft great prospects, they don’t often help you win a lot early and they’ll probably be surrounded by other developing players who also don’t help you win.

I’m sure DA could build a play in team in the next 1-2 years, but that’s not what I’m hoping for. We shouldn’t have traded Don and Rudy if we were going to shortchange a rebuild.

If either team is elevated from what they previously were and Gobert/Mitchell are putting up same or similar numbers to what they had in Utah, they will both make the ASG.

I struggle to see Mitchell taking less than 20 shots per game. I think Garland is more comfortable being the true PG on the team and taking around 16-17 per game. Then they dont have a single shot creator on the roster outside of Levert, who is not always healthy.

I’m pretty confident that a 2027 pick will not help you win in 2025 unless you trade it. If you think otherwise, I’m all ears.
You do realize time is a flat circle right?????

The only way it would help without being traded is if the front office decided that rather than doing an OKC style tank where you offload anyone that can help you win... you rely on those picks adding youth or giving you the chance to get an all star and rather than using cap space to absorb ****** contracts to get more picks... you use space to acquire good players that can help. It is really those players that help and not the pick but maybe the presence of those picks means you stop using win now resources to hoard more picks.

You are correct here... just presenting one route we may take... not trying to legit counterpoint. I'm just curious as to what the plan really is... I'm guessing at this point its less of a fully developed mapped out plan and more of a "we are going to head west and depending on how it goes we plan on turning north at some point".

Like with Sexton and Markanaan. I don't think those are guys OKC would take a shot on... but I think you might find something and there is a market inefficiency with Sexton at least. Getting him at 4/72 is pretty solid move with some upside. Compare it with Anfernee Simons getting 4/100... So I think we take some chances on guys that get overlooked.

Next two years I hope we draft top 5 and gather future assets... but I think there can be some damage from doing OKC/Philly style full tank jobs. I think Hinkie is a brilliant dude but had some major blind spots... I would have liked to see how that build turned out with him or someone else that is competent at the helm (like Ainge).

I went on a weird tangent and none of this is really directed at you my friend... too much caffeine.

Man that's a ****** way to start a guy's tenure. Feels like a Paul George type of acquisition. That is the reason you trade him with 3 years left though. No way Cleveland ponies up for a one year window. If he doesn't work they should be able to re-route him and recoup a big chunk of what they gave up... might do some damage to an already promising core. I'm not sure I'd love the deal if I was a Cavs fan.

Man that's a ****** way to start a guy's tenure. Feels like a Paul George type of acquisition. That is the reason you trade him with 3 years left though. No way Cleveland ponies up for a one year window. If he doesn't work they should be able to re-route him and recoup a big chunk of what they gave up... might do some damage to an already promising core. I'm not sure I'd love the deal if I was a Cavs fan.
Kinda feels like Kawhi to Toronto but with more time

I could be wrong but on the 2yr rebuild discussion, I think some of the issue might be interpretation of what someone means by rebuild. Think everyone agrees that the Jazz would have to hit on both the 2023 and 2024 picks for it to be a 2yr rebuild.

In my head the 2yr rebuild doesn't mean the Jazz will be contending or making the playoffs in year 3 but just means they will no longer be looking to off load veterans for assets, sacrificing wins or doing the other little things that management/teams do to lose games. So essentially they've moved from "rebuilding" to building and it is not so much reflected in wins and losses but the actions of Jazz management that changes from rebuilding to building.

I could be wrong but on the 2yr rebuild discussion, I think some of the issue might be interpretation of what someone means by rebuild. Think everyone agrees that the Jazz would have to hit on both the 2023 and 2024 picks for it to be a 2yr rebuild.

In my head the 2yr rebuild doesn't mean the Jazz will be contending or making the playoffs in year 3 but just means they will no longer be looking to off load veterans for assets, sacrificing wins or doing the other little things that management/teams do to lose games. So essentially they've moved from "rebuilding" to building and it is not so much reflected in wins and losses but the actions of Jazz management that changes from rebuilding to building.

I think that's fair, but even if we hit on 23 and 24 picks it doesn't necessarily mean we'll be good. Young players rarely help you win a lot of games no matter how promising they are. But like you said, hitting on those picks could spark a change in decision making. Maybe it's the difference between trading Lauri/Sexton or keeping them.

I think that's fair, but even if we hit on 23 and 24 picks it doesn't necessarily mean we'll be good. Young players rarely help you win a lot of games no matter how promising they are. But like you said, hitting on those picks could spark a change in decision making. Maybe it's the difference between trading Lauri/Sexton or keeping them.
Additionally I feel like many of those salary dump deals aren't going to be available this time around due to the salary cap spike. That, coupled with the increased ability of players with years left on their contract to force their way out makes an intentional 5 year rebuild in a small market untenable.

I feel like every player currently on the roster is available for the right price this year. Next year we will have a few less up for sale, and by year 3 we will be open to bringing in players that can help us win. Doesn't mean we WILL win, but the intent will be there.