What's new

Dame Time

Dame knew what he was doing when he signed a 4-year contract extension for $250 million. Portland owns his rights and can trade him anywhere, or do nothing and decide not to trade him at all.

Dame has to honor his contract, or he's in breach. Dame has every right to choose the very team or teams he wants to play for. It's called 'free agency,' but he chose to forego that opportunity.
Only a handful of players can pull this off. You have to be an all star and deep connections with an agency. Any other type, you wouldn't hear much from them

Portland’s GM has to be livid Lillard duped him into giving his buddy Grant that contract.

Portland owes Lillard nothing after that.

Plenty of Blazers fans are frustrated that the Blazers have been so reluctant to make win now moves in the context of all of this.

On a mostly unrelated note, I would rather have Jerami Grant and his new deal than Collins on this deal.

Which has really nothing to do with what Lillard is doing and I’ll take Collins all day.

It's the same.
An 8 seed that lost in 5 and almost failed to make the playoffs in the play-in and will have to gut their depth and assets to get a flawed 33-year old that is going to make $200 million over the next four years.

=/=

A 73-9 superteam that only lost the finals by a miracle and on the slimmest margins to another superteam outright signing (didn’t lost anything of substance) a perennial MVP candidate in his prime on a value deal because he wasn’t signed on a super max deal.

I know you’re on a take-bender right now, but come on.

An 8 seed that lost in 5 and almost failed to make the playoffs in the play-in and will have to gut their depth and assets to get a flawed 33-year old that is going to make $200 million over the next four years.

=/=

A 73-9 superteam that only lost the finals by a miracle and on the slimmest margins to another superteam outright signing (didn’t lost anything of substance) a perennial MVP candidate on a value deal because he wasn’t signed on a super max deal.

I know you’re on a take-bender right now, but come on.
It's pretty disingenuous to act like the Heat were some ho-hum 8th seed. This team has made the Finals twice in the last 3 or 4 years.

Of course it's not exactly the same thing to the dot, but nothing is if your criteria is so strict.

The thing is Dame isn't going to come out and say it so I imagine this is all posturing and he will end up preserving his brand and play wherever he gets traded to.

If I'm the Blazers, I just shut Dame down and wait. Same thing Darryl Morey did with Ben Simmons. Time is actually on the Blazers' side since Dame is under contract and the Blazers are rebuilding. Dame can expand his list of desired teams, or teams can up their offers. Taking the first bad deal isn't a solution for Portland.

If I'm the Blazers, I just shut Dame down and wait. Same thing Darryl Morey did with Ben Simmons. Time is actually on the Blazers' side since Dame is under contract and the Blazers are rebuilding. Dame can expand his list of desired teams, or teams can up their offers. Taking the first bad deal isn't a solution for Portland.
Yup, nothing about the Heat package is something you need to close on. Just let it play out and put the pressure on Dame.

It's pretty disingenuous to act like the Heat were some ho-hum 8th seed. This team has made the Finals twice in the last 3 or 4 years.

Of course it's not exactly the same thing to the dot, but nothing is if your criteria is so strict.
The Heat are great. The Warriors are an all-time dynasty in the vein of the 90’s Bulls (that then added Shaq or something, running with the analogy). They are just not the same, not even all that similar due to the scale of difference.

Only a handful of players can pull this off. You have to be an all star and deep connections with an agency. Any other type, you wouldn't hear much from them

Anthony Davis went full tantrum in NOLA, to the point where the Pels told him to stay away from the team. But in the end, the Pels still got a good return from the Lakers -- Ingram, Ball, Hart, and a boatload of picks and swaps.

The Heat are great. The Warriors are an all-time dynasty in the vein of the 90’s Bulls. They are just not the same, not even all that similar due to the scale of difference.
He Warriors won 1 ring prior to KD joining them. They became a dynasty because of Durant.

This whole notion that POR did right by Dame because they pay him a lot is hilarious. They wanted him to take that money and were begging him to do. It’s a two sided agreement. It wasn’t a favor they did to Dame. They had to dish out promises they were unable to keep to get him to sign in the first place. If they promised Dame they would be better and they weren’t I don’t get to see why they get to play victim.

I’m not saying Dame deserves to pick his next destination, but it’s pathetic to ignore that the “eating cake” park isn’t a two sided thing.

How are you cool with players forcing their way to big markets and forcing their teams to take a lesser package to do so?
If they have given 10 years and ample opportunity for their team to do something I'm cool with it. Those teams end up getting something back... if Gordo had done us that courtesy we would have been a whole lot better off. Dame sincerely gave it a try and was willing to stay committed. Portland has been unwilling to sacrifice any picks or prospects to make things a little better now. So part of the price of going that route is Dame ain't going to want to be there and he is in a spot in his career where he is going to want to pick his spot. They may be doing what is best for the franchise... then Dame gets to do what is in his best interest. I guess I just see both sides here... Dame want to win a title... this ain't a job for him... its what he's worked for his whole life. Portland gives him zero shot at that at this point. Has shown no willingness to get there. The Heat gives him a shot if he is great... I don't even think they'd be considered the favorite with Dame... maybe top 3-4. I'm cool with a guy who has given his all getting a chance to win a title (his lifelong dream)... even if a fanbase gets one less 2028 1st round pick because he picked his spot lol.

This whole notion that POR did right by Dame because they pay him a lot is hilarious. They wanted him to take that money and were begging him to do. It’s a two sided agreement. It wasn’t a favor they did to Dame. They had to dish out promises they were unable to keep to get him to sign in the first place. If they promised Dame they would be better and they weren’t I don’t get to see why they get to play victim.

I’m not saying Dame deserves to pick his next destination, but it’s pathetic to ignore that the “eating cake” park isn’t a two sided thing.
He's also willing to be the bad guy and fall on the sword by being the one that files for divorce here. Portland was clearly acting in a way that doesn't project as being "all-in" for Dame so probably kinda wanted it this way rather than being the one that chased out an icon.

The Blazers then made a series of offseason moves to build around Lillard. Portland acquired Jerami Grant from the Detroit Pistons and signed free agent Gary Payton II, who was key to Golden State’s championship run. The Blazers also re-signed rising guard Anfernee Simons and veteran center Jusuf Nurkic to deals as well.

Lillard played with Grant on the gold medal-winning U.S. team at last year’s Tokyo Olympics. Grant averaged 19.2 points in 47 games last season with the Pistons.

Lillard said he believes the team is headed in the right direction.

“I’m as anxious as I’ve ever been to get out there and make something happen,” he said. “I’m in a great space mentally and physically. I’m gonna come into this season comfortable and ready to do me, and do me at the highest level.”

So a year ago the Blazers were heading in the right direction and Lillard used that as a talking point as to why he signed the extension, then a year later they werent doing enough for him?

That's interesting.

Dame is allowed to ask out. Dame is allowed to try and influence the outcome. Portland is allowed to not honor that and fans are allowed to think of Dame what they want for him trying to do so.

Translation

"I wanted the money so I signed. I thought Portland made good moves but then I wasnt healthy and I'm not good enough to carry these kinds of rosters anymore. When Portland was super ****** I realized they had a chance at Wemby so I kept my mouth shut and sat to see if Portland got lucky. They didnt so I want out. Trade me to the team that just made the Finals"