What's new

Danny Ainge hired as CEO of basketball operations

Sounds like we’re talking about more than his deal-making all of the sudden.

I’m not an Ainge fan. I just bristle at the idea that he’s on an island as far as deal-making practices or philosophy is concerned. Mostly because the reporting doesn’t support that idea.

You replied to my post that listed out several different things Ainge had a bad rep for. It wasn't all of a sudden lol. There's a lot of things he has bad rep for, I do agree that being difficult to trade with is still somewhat speculation...but like I said, I don't think he got that reputation from being unlucky.

Honestly 90% of NBA fans can name like 5 GMs tops. Ainge is probably one that they know. Generally, if you get a shot at someone like that as an "afterthought" team, you should probably take it.

Being recognized by fans is not a qualification I would consider for a GM spot, especially because a lot of things he's known for are not good. If you open up a topic about Ainge in a general space, the thing you're most likely to see is jokes about him almost making good trades which is not something positive.

I may be the only one who LOVES this. Every move Utah has made this past season has been balls to the wall. Bringing in a guy with a championship pedigree is what is best for the Jazz franchise.

Boomers, this isn't your ole Utah Jazz of the past.

I may be the only one who LOVES this. Every move Utah has made this past season has been balls to the wall. Bringing in a guy with a championship pedigree is what is best for the Jazz franchise.

Boomers, this isn't your ole Utah Jazz of the past.
lmao Danny Ainge is the epitome of a boomer: right down to his denying racism.

This move is right up the Boomer's alley.

What if I would have told you two years ago that our much-hyped season wouldn’t even finish because a pandemic hit and Rudy and Donovan were the first people in the entire state diagnosed with the infection and the entire league shut down as a result, that the Millers would end up selling the team where Dwyane Wade ended up being one of the owners, and Danny Ainge was brought in as the top dog? Imagine how that post would have been received. It’s not too far off my wild-*** posts I make about finding a machine that combines two players.

Additionally, I would guarantee that Wade was in on this. Getting Ainge is a prestige move overall. Every NBA fan knows who Ainge is. Almost nobody knows JZ. Just because he isn't popular here due to the Haywood situation, doesn't mean he isn't respected around the league. I will guarantee that Ainge's rolodex dwarfs that of Zanik as well as well as his knowledge of all of the people in the different organizations. I think we saw with previous management that sometimes we just didn't have the juice to be players on the trade market because we didn't have keys to the back room. Ainge does.

The main thing is that, yeah, there probably are players that are not as safe as they were yesterday.
I promise you that NBA trades are driven by what assets a team has to work with and how they decide to make them available and absolutely ZERO to do with the celebrity status of the opposing GM. And if reports are true, Ainge’s current reputation may actually lead opposing GM’s to not even pick up the phone.

This was a fanboy/buddy hire made by our owner and it stinks to high hell.

I promise you that NBA trades are driven by what assets a team has to work with and how they decide to make them available and absolutely ZERO to do with the celebrity status of the opposing GM. And if reports are true, Ainge’s current reputation may actually lead opposing GM’s to not even pick up the phone.

Wait a minute, are nba trades driven by what assets a team has to work with and how they decide to make them available OR based on ainge's current reputation?

So by this logic, the only team that ever needs any of our assets is the Cleveland Cavaliers? When all of your trades happen with a limited amount of clubs things become clearer.

There are several articles by people who have access to GMs that paint a better picture of how Ainge is thought of than what you get on fan message boards.

Zanic may be a better GM than Ainge, but you are going to have to take that on faith as Ainge has a proven track record.

You having that cake and you eaten it, too, bro.

What if I would have told you two years ago that our much-hyped season wouldn’t even finish because a pandemic hit and Rudy and Donovan were the first people in the entire state diagnosed with the infection and the entire league shut down as a result, that the Millers would end up selling the team where Dwyane Wade ended up being one of the owners, and Danny Ainge was brought in as the top dog? Imagine how that post would have been received. It’s not too far off my wild-*** posts I make about finding a machine that combines two players.
Ainge is also now an owner as well. I wonder if the Celtics gave him that opportunity. . .

Ainge is also now an owner as well. I wonder if the Celtics gave him that opportunity. . .
An owner? The alternate governor thing is so he can sit in for Ryan on league issues.

An owner? The alternate governor thing is so he can sit in for Ryan on league issues.
Maybe, I thought it was just the new PC term for part owner. . . I could swear I saw an article that said that.

It was a yahoo.com article that got pulled. They must have been confused too (or made me confused) sorry about that!

Maybe, I thought it was just the new PC term for part owner. . . I could swear I saw an article that said that.
Governor is the PC term for owner, but they did give him alternate governor title, as I believe they would have something like “board of governors” for the league and this allows a guy to be in on that role who’s been involved in every level of the league.