What's new

Dante Exum Over Smart: Massive Failure

Was he that five star douche who refused to work out for us and hinted that he didn't wanna be in Utah? Or was it somebody else? Tough spot to be in because in 2014 it was Boston and LA's pick right after us.

I'm honestly more upset that we drafted Grayson over Mitchell Robinson though. With him on the roster we can literally start listening to offers for Rudy at this very moment.

The Jazz have picked in top 5 only 3 times in the past 37 years(that HAS to be an NBA record) and it's yielded us Deron, Enes, and Dante. Not a great return by any standards.

cbssports.com/nba/news/jazz-say-marcus-smart-wont-work-out-for-them/

Yeah, it was Smart who refused to come to Utah.

Smart would have been a better pick. Although we probably would not have been able to get Mitchell if we had drafted Smart.

Exum also landed us Clarkson.

Here is the controversial statement though. I think Exum would have been more helpful against Denver than Clarkson was if healthy. The healthy part is a big if though. We needed more wing defense and passing. But Clarkson was huge for us in the regular season more than Exum has ever been.

Smart would have been a better pick. Although we probably would not have been able to get Mitchell if we had drafted Smart.

Here is the controversial statement though. I think Exum would have been more helpful against Denver than Clarkson was if healthy. The healthy part is a big if though. We needed more wing defense and passing. But Clarkson was huge for us in the regular season more than Exum has ever been.
That's certainly possible.

That's the thing about Dante. The injuries kept piling up. I remember in Donovan's rookie year during exhibition season, it looked like Dante was finally going to break out, but then what happens, another serious injury. He simply is too fragile for the NBA

The 2014 draft wasn’t a particularly great one. Lot of busts in the lotto and first round.

Clarkson was another reason why 14 draft was a total disaster.

we could've just taken Clarkson with our 35th pick but we decided to sell it to Memphis for cash.

FO said at the time that they didn't want too many young projects on this team(speaking from a team in the middle of rebuild and just had a 25win season) but now just look at a fraternity of Niang, Bradley, JWF, Oni, Tucker, NWG, we know how it worked out for us.

Not to mention the players drafted at that range. Clarkson, Joe Harris, Dwight Powell, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Glen Robinson III, and the Joker. it feels like you can just arbitrarily handpick a guy right from the spot you will have close to 50% chance of getting a legit rotation player

Last edited:
Clarkson was another reason why 14 draft was a total disaster.

we could've just taken Clarkson with our 35th pick but we decided to sell it to Memphis for cash.

FO said at the time that they didn't want too many young projects on this team(speaking from a team in the middle of rebuild and just had a 25win season) but now just look at a fraternity of Niang, Bradley, JWF, Oni, Tucker, NWG, we know how it worked out for us.

Not to mention the players drafted at that range. Clarkson, Joe Harris, Dwight Powell, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Glen Robinson III, and the Joker. it feels like you can just arbitrarily handpick a guy right from the spot you will have close to 50% chance of getting a legit rotation player
These are things that will drive me crazy if I think too hard about them. For all the “they said they will pay the tax” folks... please make a mental note of this transaction and realize it wasn’t the only time we pulled this nonsense.

These are things that will drive me crazy if I think too hard about them. For all the “they said they will pay the tax” folks... please make a mental note of this transaction and realize it wasn’t the only time we pulled this nonsense.
we didn't manage our assets at all...

It's hard to believe Donovan's rookie contract was the only thing that we are able to take advantage of whereas everyone else on the team right now is either paid at the right amount, slightly overpaid or WAY OVERPAID.

Look at teams like Denver, Boston and Phillies(well, until last summer) that were able to spend the cash cuz they had a number of solid young players locked up on cheap rookie contract for at least 1-2 seasons.

That's the thing about Dante. The injuries kept piling up. I remember in Donovan's rookie year during exhibition season, it looked like Dante was finally going to break out, but then what happens, another serious injury. He simply is too fragile for the NBA
Injuries or not, the guy has weird biomechanical movements that prevent him from being a complete player. His wrist doesnt bend back on his jumper and he was incapable of shooting pull up jump shots.

we didn't manage our assets at all...

It's hard to believe Donovan's rookie contract was the only thing that we are able to take advantage of whereas everyone else on the team right now is either paid at the right amount, slightly overpaid or WAY OVERPAID.

Look at teams like Denver, Boston and Phillies(well, until last summer) that were able to spend the cash cuz they had a number of solid young players locked up on cheap rookie contract for at least 1-2 seasons.
The entire team is underpaid with the exception of Conley, Davis, and Bradley,