What's new

David Locke - Utah Jazz are NOT tanking

I would rather rebuild this way than the way Philly did, especially with how many top picks they missed on.
Yeah and its funny that they never actually managed to build the superteam they tried.. Okafor, Noel, Fultz, Simmons all failed to become key pieces one way or the other.... only one who truely panned was Embiid (and he panned big time lol) but will it be enough to win anything?

Instead of running with those 3, 7, 1 and 1 picks they are starting and/or giving big minutes to guys like Maxey (21at pick) Harris (19th) and Melton (46th).

Seems like Utah almost had a New Orleans deal but LA won out because it allowed them to get off Conley.
That’s really interesting to read. I wonder why we wanted off Mike so badly when he was expiring next year? They must have someone targeted (either FA or trade) that requires that cap space.

Yeah and its funny that they never actually managed to build the superteam they tried.. Okafor, Noel, Fultz, Simmons all failed to become key pieces one way or the other.... only one who truely panned was Embiid (and he panned big time lol) but will it be enough to win anything?

Instead of running with those 3, 7, 1 and 1 picks they are starting and/or giving big minutes to guys like Maxey (21at pick) Harris (19th) and Melton (46th).
Simmons is probably the other guy who you could say was a hit (at least while with the Sixers) and directly led to them getting Harden. But Morey also had a ton to do with that

That’s really interesting to read. I wonder why we wanted off Mike so badly when he was expiring next year? They must have someone targeted (either FA or trade) that requires that cap space.
My theory is actually the same that Todd references. Main part is cap/roster flexibility and the other was to push Lauri development we needed to remove the leader and the hand that was feeding him.

If he still produces, the team wins and the locker room rallies around him, great. If he doesnt, we get that info and a better pick.

I think it’s hilarious it’s consider a fail or that people mock them for how many guys failed. Hinkie never got to see the process through and the colangelos cashed in on so much stuff he gathered… they had some bad picks then they had some of the weirdest **** happen ever… but they got the guy, they had enough left to build around him, and they still may end up winning a title. The amount of misses is part of the proof that “the process” works imo… if Philly fans weren’t completely annoying I might root for them to win.

I would rather rebuild this way than the way Philly did, especially with how many top picks they missed on.
I bet philly and all the other tank teams would as well. They didn't get a lauri markennan right at the beginning of their tanks though.

I think it’s hilarious it’s consider a fail or that people mock them for how many guys failed. Hinkie never got to see the process through and the colangelos cashed in on so much stuff he gathered… they had some bad picks then they had some of the weirdest **** happen ever… but they got the guy, they had enough left to build around him, and they still may end up winning a title. The amount of misses is part of the proof that “the process” works imo… if Philly fans weren’t completely annoying I might root for them to win.
Why would you root for them? Isnt their method something we dont want happening going forward?

I bet philly and all the other tank teams would as well. They didn't get a lauri markennan right at the beginning of their tanks though.
These are some of the players they featured:
Jarvis Varnado, Elliot Williams, Hollis Thompson, Furkan Aldemir, Henry Sims, JaKarr Sampson and Brandon Davies.

None of them are in the NBA. They built that team to be bad. They didnt want any good players, drafted and traded for guys with long-term injuries etc.

Its just dirty stuff and has nothing to do with professional sports let alone top level basketball.

Why would you root for them? Isnt their method something we dont want happening going forward?
Because of all the hand wringing and loling at the process. It was right... it was smart... they did about as bad as you could drafting and in trades following Hinkie... and they built a contender.

I don't love the method at all... I'd love for the rules to further dissuade tanking... just think people lol at the process and Hinkie a bit too much. It would just be funny to get a 15 page dissertation from Hinkie about how he was right all along.

Because of all the hand wringing and loling at the process. It was right... it was smart... they did about as bad as you could drafting and in trades following Hinkie... and they built a contender.

I don't love the method at all... I'd love for the rules to further dissuade tanking... just think people lol at the process and Hinkie a bit too much. It would just be funny to get a 15 page dissertation from Hinkie about how he was right all along.
“The Process” led to a lot of the current anti-tanking steps that the league has taken. I’m guessing that, just like the “Stepien Rule” makes it so you can’t trade consecutive 1st round picks, there will eventually be a rule that limits the number of consecutive times you can pick in the bottom four. That way they encourage year-over-year improvement instead of long-term tanks.

These are some of the players they featured:
Jarvis Varnado, Elliot Williams, Hollis Thompson, Furkan Aldemir, Henry Sims, JaKarr Sampson and Brandon Davies.

None of them are in the NBA. They built that team to be bad. They didnt want any good players, drafted and traded for guys with long-term injuries etc.

Its just dirty stuff and has nothing to do with professional sports let alone top level basketball.
Exactly. I could list that many players that we have on our roster this season that wont be in the nba anymore. Difference is that we have markennan. They didn't.

Exactly. I could list that many players that we have on our roster this season that wont be in the nba anymore. Difference is that we have markennan. They didn't.
Do it then. Make sure the guys you list match the same criteria as those guys:
  • Minimum 13 mpg
  • No previous history of ever playing 13 mpg for any NBA team
  • Will be out of the league in maximum of 5 years
Im not sure all qualify for all of those, but at least 5 of them do.

I get that. They played by the rules even if it wasnt sportsmanlike or "in the spirit" or whatever.

The current flattened odds really take away any sense of repeating it. Getting 4 top 3 picks (including 2x #1) in 4 years would be insanely lucky with current odds.

Zero 1sts during 4 years of tanking is actually the expected outcome these days (54% chance for 0).

I get that. They played by the rules even if it wasnt sportsmanlike or "in the spirit" or whatever.

The current flattened odds really take away any sense of repeating it. Getting 4 top 3 picks (including 2x #1) in 4 years would be insanely lucky with current odds.

Zero 1sts during 4 years of tanking is actually the expected outcome these days (54% chance for 0).
Its still a viable path. Flattened odds may make it okay to not completely bottom out to the point the Sixers did... so have a semi-reasonable development environment while getting high picks...#1 is not the only goal.

Hinkie did make a huge mistake in being way too open about it and not taking media availability etc. He was way too direct.

Do it then. Make sure the guys you list match the same criteria as those guys:
  • Minimum 13 mpg
  • No previous history of ever playing 13 mpg for any NBA team
  • Will be out of the league in maximum of 5 years
Im not sure all qualify for all of those, but at least 5 of them do.
How many years of the sixers roster did you use?