What's new

Davies off the BYU Bball team- Honor Code Violation

He's from Provo too. Went to HS there. You'd think he'd know about it.

Looks like it won't effect their seeding, but who knows down the line in the tournament when they could have used this guy.

Colton didn't like that post. I figured I might as well say it cause you know someone was.

He didn't like that post. He don't like that post. Not a very good post.

All Colton asks is that you have a take and you don't suck.
That sucked.

BYU is getting their butt hair braided by New Mexico right now. So much for them making a run for it in the tourney. I know it's just one game, but dang, talk about a totally different looking team.

Also I just found out he was kicked off the team for having sex with his girlfriend? But if he and his girlfriend were married it would be fine. I think it is more irresponsible for BYU to encourage children to get married so they can have sex.

BYU had a #1 seed all but sewn up after beating SDSU twice. Now, their best big man is gone, they drop a home game in brutal fashion to NM and even with Davies it probably would have been too much to ask for them to beat the Aztecs 3 straight times (MWC Tourney). What's the seed going to be now? I think if they win the MWC Tourney they still get a 2 or 3 seed. However, with the suspension and last nights loss to NM, I think if BYU loses to SDSU in the conference tourny, they'll probably drop to a 5 or 6.

I also have a question about the honor code. Something that ESPN posted made me curious:

....a code that also forbids use of alcohol and coffee and requires students to be honest and attend church regularly.

I'm curious about the church attendance. BYU has had it's fair share of Non-Mormon athletes. Do they have to attend church on a regular basis? If so, does it have to be a Mormon church, or can it simply be a church of their denomination? Was Jimmy McMahon really forced to attend Mormon church on Sundays?

BYU had a #1 seed all but sewn up after beating SDSU twice. Now, their best big man is gone, they drop a home game in brutal fashion to NM and even with Davies it probably would have been too much to ask for them to beat the Aztecs 3 straight times (MWC Tourney). What's the seed going to be now? I think if they win the MWC Tourney they still get a 2 or 3 seed. However, with the suspension and last nights loss to NM, I think if BYU loses to SDSU in the conference tourny, they'll probably drop to a 5 or 6.

I also have a question about the honor code. Something that ESPN posted made me curious:

I'm curious about the church attendance. BYU has had it's fair share of Non-Mormon athletes. Do they have to attend church on a regular basis? If so, does it have to be a Mormon church, or can it simply be a church of their denomination? Was Jimmy McMahon really forced to attend Mormon church on Sundays?

I think if BYU can win out and maybe lose in the MWC tourney championship, they can still get a 3 or 4 seed.
As far as the attend church regularly thing, I believe it's pretty much whatever church you want. And regularly is always up for debate and seen differently by everybody. Never even thought of attending BYU though, so I couldn't say for sure.

Does this mean we will never hear the end of "If we had Davies" complaints from the Zoobs after they lose in the 2nd round?

It's been awhile, but I seem to remember having to submit an annual "ecclesiastical endorsement". Not denomination-specific. Although the form looked and felt eerily like other LDS forms. Some ecclesiastical leader -- in the case of LDS, a bishop -- had to sign.

I'm curious about the church attendance. BYU has had it's air share of Non-Mormon athletes. Do they have to attend church on a regular basis? If so, does it have to be a Mormon church, or can it simply be a church of their denomination? Was Jimmy McMahon really forced to attend Mormon church on Sundays?

It's been awhile, but I seem to remember having to submit an annual "ecclesiastical endorsement". Not denomination-specific...

It's been 30-some years since McMahon was there. From what I'd read and heard, the noose has been tightened considerably since those days. During his tenure as QB, the practice of "looking the other way" was more established.

And I looked this up on the BYU website a while back, and as I recall, there's some sort of "moral approval" that non-Mormons have to get, I guess something like the "ecclesiastic endorsement" mentioned above

(if I can quickly find the link, I'll add it in)

it was pretty easy to find
https://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2009-2010ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php#HCOfficeInvovement
Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement

Students are required to be in good Honor Code standing to be admitted to, continue enrollment at, and graduate from BYU. In conjunction with this requirement, all enrolled continuing undergraduate, graduate, intern, and Study Abroad students are required to obtain a Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement for each new academic year....

LDS students may be endorsed only by the bishop of the ward (1) in which they live and (2) that holds their current Church membership record.

Non-LDS students are to be endorsed by (1) the local ecclesiastical leader if the student is an active member of the congregation, (2) the bishop of the LDS ward in which they currently reside, or (3) the nondenominational BYU chaplain.

Requirements
LDS students must fulfill their duty in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, attend Church meetings, and abide by the rules and standards of the Church on and off campus.

Students who are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are also expected to maintain the same standards of conduct. They are encouraged to participate in services of their preferred religion. All students must be in good Honor Code standing to graduate, to receive a diploma, and to have the degree posted.

Withdrawn Ecclesiastical Endorsement
A student's endorsement may be withdrawn at any time if the ecclesiastical leader determines that the student is no longer eligible for the endorsement. If an endorsement is withdrawn, no confessional information is exchanged without authorization from the student. Students without a current endorsement are not in good Honor Code standing and must discontinue enrollment. Students who are not in good Honor Code standing are not eligible for graduation, even if they have otherwise completed all necessary coursework. Excommunication, disfellowshipment, or disaffiliation from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints automatically results in the withdrawal of the student's ecclesiastical endorsement and the loss of good Honor Code standing.

I s'pose there's some room for interpretation?

Last edited: