What's new

Game Thread Dec 19, 2022 05:00PM MT: Jazz at Cavaliers

Added to Calendar: 12-19-22

No free minutes
ok lets bench all the rooks with noone else in front of them too then. Och is not playing because the vets in front of him, has nothing to do with skill level or ability to play at a high level, nothing at all. If this team had a legit 5 besides KO Kessler would be riding the Hardy pine as well, and everything he has shown so far proves that would be a mistake same as leaving Och on the bench is a joke. It is not free minutes. Use the roster, this small rotational crap is for veteran contender teams only. Maybe Hardy thinks they are one? they aint

Rudy Gay still has the best +/- on the team and plays good team defense.
Ya but if Sexton or Kessler were shooting 22% from three and 35% from the floor yet played good defense and had highest plus/minus on the team you would be talking about how they suck.
But the main point is that it doesn't matter if he plays horrible defense and misses every shot he takes, he is still getting his minutes.
Also, he isn't part of the jazz future and is shooting too poorly for his pretty mediocre defense to make up for in the present. His plus minus numbers are a fluke. He has those good plus minus numbers in spite of his play not because of it.

Playing Rudy is part of the famous win/win strategy, where sometimes he gives you a boost and you win and others he drags you down and you lose. Either way, win/win for us. He should play 30+ minutes per night.
No, he shouldn't. He should play zero minutes.

Ya but if Sexton or Kessler were shooting 22% from three and 35% from the floor yet played good defense and had highest plus/minus on the team you would be talking about how they suck.
But the main point is that it doesn't matter if he plays horrible defense and misses every shot he takes, he is still getting his minutes.
Also, he isn't part of the jazz future and is shooting too poorly for his pretty mediocre defense to make up for in the present. His plus minus numbers are a fluke. He has those good plus minus numbers in spite of his play not because of it.
I would not.

And I do think Gay sucks, but he doesnt suck nearly as much as the board likes to complain about and the positives he does bring are completely disregarded by the board. And he's not playing horrible defense. He plays good defense and has good positioning/length, but he doesnt give great 2nd/3rd efforts, but his overall impact defensively is one of the better on the team and he plays a position of scarcity on the team. As much as I would personally love to see Simone get all of his minutes, Simone can not do what Gay does defensively at this point.

I would not.

And I do think Gay sucks, but he doesnt suck nearly as much as the board likes to complain about and the positives he does bring are completely disregarded by the board.
At least we agree that gay sucks.
He is earning those minutes with his suck. That we can all agree on.

Sure, most of the roster as individual components are meh so you are going to get a lot of minutes played by mediocre players.

Im down with the minutes going to mediocre players with potential. What i dont like is players who suck with no potential getting minutes. Huge difference imo.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Hardy trying to win games bud.

Exactly. I would play the MEDIOCRE players with potential over the SUCKY players with no potential.

When i use those capitalized adjectives mediocre is preferable to sucky when trying to win.

Its win win. You play the better players who also have potential to get much better. Win win. Instead of playing the worse player with no potential to get better.

I mean maybe we want to win in the playoffs right? Gay isnt getting better. His ceiling is ****.
Maybe if you play and develop someone with some potential then when the playoffs come around we are an even better team.

Btw, we arent winning or losing many games based on the minutes and play of rudy gay. It wouldnt make much of a difference in our win loss record if gay never played.

Exactly. I would play the MEDIOCRE players with potential over the SUCKY players with no potential.

When i use those capitalized adjectives mediocre is preferable to sucky when trying to win.

Its win win. You play the better players who also have potential to get much better. Win win. Instead of playing the worse player with no potential to get better.

I mean maybe we want to win in the playoffs right? Gay isnt getting better. His ceiling is ****.
Maybe if you play and develop someone with some potential then when the playoffs come around we are an even better team.

Btw, we arent winning or losing many games based on the minutes and play of rudy gay. It wouldnt make much of a difference in our win loss record if gay never played.

If you were the HC of the Utah Jazz we'd be 0-35 and Alec Burks would still be here averaging 35 mpg

Gay's on/off is puzzling. The boost is all on the defensive side of the ball and he does have some value there given his size and our issues rebounding. I think it is quite exaggerated though as he shares the floor a bunch with Kessler and never shares the floor with Kelly. Also spent a lot of time with THT... who is a good defender. Not trying to completely discredit it

Maybe his ****** shooting isn't as negative as we think is kinda my takeaway and he might allow some blowbys but his defense might be better than we think.

If you were the HC of the Utah Jazz we'd be 0-35 and Alec Burks would still be here averaging 35 mpg
And here comes Victor W! You're welcome.
Anywho, playing Gay doesn't make a huge difference in wins and losses one way or the other. He is not part of the future though.