What's new

Dennis Lindsey promoted to VP of basketball operations. Justin Zanik promoted to GM

And now Zanick will have final say on personnel decisions.

Will he? That’s the most important part of being a higher up is to make personnel decisions. That would be DL relinquishing control so that he can focus on issues that are much less important.

Andy Larsen said on the radio yesterday that Lindsey will still have final say on all draft picks, trades and free agent signings.

Will he? That’s the most important part of being a higher up is to make personnel decisions. That would be DL relinquishing control so that he can focus on issues that are much less important.
GM is the one who has final say, so he's giving it up. He isn't focusing on less important issues, he's now going to have time to focus on all issues.

What's that phrase about failing upwards?
Hopefully DL is one step closer to what happened to KOC. Dennis will be banished to the world of "special consultant" and never heard from again.

Most likely is that other teams came sniffing around Zanik's butt and he had to be promoted in order for Utah to deny permission for him to be interviewed for a GM position with another team.

Zanik throws parties at his beach house in San Diego every year that many NBA players attend. There’s even a saying of “What happens at Zanik’s stays at Zanik’s.” He’s well connected and NBA players love him like a brother.
Yeah right.

True. I hate that he gets put up on this pedestal by some.

“Oh he drafted Gobert, he is so smart”

No, he isn’t. If he was smart he would have taken Gobert at 14 or 20 and not traded for Burke.

“Oh, he loved Mitchell. He found his guy and went and got him.”

Again, no. He liked Mitchell. He floated ideas to Denver. But at the end of the day, Denver called us and offered us the trade. Yes, he did lay some groundwork for the deal, but in the end, Denver offered us the deal.

If DL was as good as everyone says, he wouldn’t have screwed up the Hayward situation so much. He wouldn’t have lost Hayward for nothing. He wouldn’t have blown up a team with Millsap for Exum. He wouldn’t have made the trade that allowed GS to become GS. He wouldn’t have traded Giannis and Gobert (who the Jazz has as their #1 choices at 14 and 20) for Burke.
Actually, the rumor is the Jazz (i.e. Lindsey) really liked a big but knew he'd be gone so Lindsey then traded up for Burke.

I guess we can thank Lindsey for liking Olynyk so much - and Boston for trading up to take him. Otherwise we'd be stuck with Olynyk and maybe Canaan or Wolters? Jazz desperately needed a PG and Dennis likely would have taken best available with the Jazz' 2nd pick.

DL gets way more flack then he deserves. Gobert, Don, Kanter, Hood were all good picks. Oneal, Ingels were great finds. Rubio and Crowder were good trades. Quin is an exceptional choice for head coach.

He has put together this team which is a really good team needing only a few tweaks to become a great team. Most of our fans expect home run hits every year but that's just not how it works. Even if you get a big hit it doesn't always work, see Lakers, Celtics.
The stability of this organization is because of our front office and DL deserves all the credit he gets.

Who had the position DL is assuming?

I’m assuming they just created it.

I see it as just more money for both and just a reorganizing/refocusing of responsibilities between the two.
KOC was always the “Vice President of basketball operations,” so they added the “executive” to the beginning of DL’s new title. Not sure why, but whatevs. We’ll keeping making up new titles and in 20 years we’ll be giving ball boys the title of assistant GM to retain them at reduced pay. But everyone knows your front office hinges on your assistant to the traveling secretary.

Is KOC even alive?
He probably has the same mental capacity as Ol' Jer. Somewhere in an assisted living center, KOC is asking for the phone so he can call JLIII's agent to offer him a contract.

Is KOC even alive?
He probably has the same mental capacity as Ol' Jer. Somewhere in an assisted living center, KOC is asking for the phone so he can call JLIII's agent to offer him a contract.
JLIII was DL’s guy. JLIV will be Zanik’s.

I’m gonna go optimist and say maybe the move is because DL is too attached to his guys to make the hard calls and Zanik is the hatchet man that brings in change... Zanik does sound like the name of the guy that would be a hatchet man... “oh **** guys... did you see who corporate brought in... Zanik! Gonna be some layoffs. Update your resumes.