Deron/Mitchell

Better Jazz legacy?

• Deron

Votes: 38 79.2%
  • Donovan

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
Tough one.

Deron dumping Tmac two years in a row was delicious. Ending the Kmart/Melo Nugheads was amazing too. Boom bitches! Deron lost in the playoffs against a better Lakers team. Not sure you could blame him. Expectations were never that high as we weren’t contenders. We were usually playing 3 on 5 offensively with Brewer and AK47 being so limited offensively.

Spida killed the Thunder, which was delicious. But then lost against teams that we were arguably better, namely the Bubble Nuggets, the Clawless Clippers, and the Luka-less Mavs. Expectations were much higher in that we were considered contenders. Losing against the Clippers last year was a legacy setting setback imo. We were clearly a more talented team once Kawhi went down. Although, I admit that Q’s inability to adjust contributed to that choke job.

I went with Deron.

Can you imagine watching Donovan try to guard prime D-Will?

Can you imagine D-Will trying to stop Mitchell. I give overall to Deron. But scoring to Mitchell. Don is Kobe. Deron is Magic.

Overall I think Mitchell has the better career. Deron needed a system to be successful, Don will be dominate within or without one.

Last edited:
Can you imagine D-Will trying to stop Mitchell. I give overall to Deron. But scoring to Mitchell. Don is Kobe. Deron is Magic.

Overall I think Mitchell has the better career. Deron needed a system to be successful, Don will be dominate within or without one.
Mitchell very much had a system

If Deron had been given the green light to shoot one hundred 3 pointers a game, he would’ve scored much more as well. Back then the Jazz actually ran plays and got high percentage shots inside. It’s ultimately what led to our WCF appearance as we wore down the 3 pt chucking Warriors.

Back then the NBA wasn’t just a 3 pt chucking contest. You still had big men that posted up. It’s really a completely different game today with the way rules have allowed perimeter players to all become Steph Curry and post up bigs have disappeared. Honestly, I’m not a fan. I find the NBA pretty boring today. It’s a game that relies on 3-4 skilled players trying to get a 3 or draw a foul while a big runs like a chicken with its head cut off setting picks. Teams don’t value possessions, they rarely go inside, and every team plays a similar way.

Another hot take:

Deron I think looks vindicated somewhat with how quickly downhill Sloan went after he retired. I remember Deron complaining about Sloan’s cognitive decline around the time of the trade or shortly thereafter and it felt like sour grapes. In retrospect, he was probably correct and Sloan didn’t recognize it or want to recognize it and management didn’t want to admit to it. No one wants to can their HOF coach over medical reasons.

One of the most painful experiences of my life growing up was recognizing that my grandma was in decline. I know it was even harder on my parents. Forcing her to give up the car keys and move to a nursing home was hard and felt cruel. Yet, it was the right thing to do.

Sloan retiring after another blowup with Deron seemed cruel at the time. But… it was probably justified. There just really wasn’t a great way to move on if Sloan didn’t gracefully retire in the previous offseason. Ultimately, the franchise needed to move on from their HOF in cognitive decline, Deron needed to find a new home that could keep him in the playoffs, and we needed to rebuild after losing Boozer, Okur, and Kirilenko.

No such story exists currently to rehab Spida’s image if he’s traded. However, I’d be open to something. I don’t blame Spida for all our problems. I definitely think Q contributed a lot to our decline. Just how many ****ing times did we have to lose in the exact same ****ing way?

Another hot take:

Deron I think looks vindicated somewhat with how quickly downhill Sloan went after he retired. I remember Deron complaining about Sloan’s cognitive decline around the time of the trade or shortly thereafter and it felt like sour grapes. In retrospect, he was probably correct and Sloan didn’t recognize it or want to recognize it and management didn’t want to admit to it. No one wants to can their HOF coach over medical reasons.

One of the most painful experiences of my life growing up was recognizing that my grandma was in decline. I know it was even harder on my parents. Forcing her to give up the car keys and move to a nursing home was hard and felt cruel. Yet, it was the right thing to do.

Sloan retiring after another blowup with Deron seemed cruel at the time. But… it was probably justified. There just really wasn’t a great way to move on if Sloan didn’t gracefully retire in the previous offseason. Ultimately, the franchise needed to move on from their HOF in cognitive decline, Deron needed to find a new home that could keep him in the playoffs, and we needed to rebuild after losing Boozer, Okur, and Kirilenko.

No such story exists currently to rehab Spida’s image if he’s traded. However, I’d be open to something. I don’t blame Spida for all our problems. I definitely think Q contributed a lot to our decline. Just how many ****ing times did we have to lose in the exact same ****ing way?
Excellent post. Deron left under a cloud, but has returned and been accepted back in the fold by organisation and fans. Don is only at the point of leaving under a cloud. You can’t really compare legacy yet, since Deron’s journey is complete and Don’s isn’t yet. So under current circumstances it would be Deron. And he’s the better basketball player too.

Deron for sure. DM definitely came out of the gate hot with amazing 3 point shooting and the 2018 playoff series against the Thunder as a rookie.

D-Will was awesome by his second year and we went to the 2007 WCF. He was our best player by his third year and If it wasn't for the Lakers getting Gasol in that phoney BS deal in Feb 2008, I think the Jazz get to multiple WCF and at least one Finals between 2008-2010.