Did the Jazz mishandle things after the D-Will trade

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Lattimer, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Lattimer

Lattimer Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Over on the Realgm board, in the Jazz forum, there is some discussion going on about rebuilding and comparison to how the Spurs handle things as well as how OKC did things.

One poster, Stocktonshorts had a great summary of the situation and I agree with him 100% here it is:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1230709&p=34585514#p34585514

I agree with him 100%. I think the Jazz have screwed this situation up. They had a great opportunity to set ourselves up for the future, instead, they opted for a first round exit last year, another one this year (likely) and stifled growth for our youngsters.

Not to mention the fact that the decision to try and "win now at all costs" meant zero draft picks last year.

The Jazz would have been able to get Lillard last year because either a. they would have been worse than the Warriors, getting the pick, or b. they would not have beaten the Warriors in all those games last year meaning we get that pick and would be able to maneuver to get Lillard.

Bottom line, the Jazz have screwed themselves after the Deron trade when they should have traded guys in the way.

I know that this has been discussed, but I thought it was interesting to see the details of how the Thunder handled this.

2. Gyp Rosetti

Gyp Rosetti Banned

May 26, 2010
    I concur though comparing to the Spurs and OKC isn't fair.

3. nightmare3983

nightmare3983 First BF League CHAMP Contributor

May 22, 2012
    You forgot the part about where SEA/OKC turned things over to Oden. Oh wait, they just got lucky that Portland biffed on that one.

4. Lattimer

Jan 21, 2012
    To be fair, Portland didn't "biff." Oden was the consensus #1. He would have been dominant if he wasn't made of glass.

5. NAOS

NAOS Banned

May 27, 2010
    Jefferson should have been sent packing almost immediately after the experiment that brought him here combusted. No DWill, no sloan, then bye bye. Millsap should have been traded at last year's deadline, when he was probably the best contract in the NBA, and certainly would have yielded a valuable pick.

(btw, Millsap is my favorite jazzman since Stock and Malone, but dealing him was probably the right decision.)

6. pickledXgrandma

pickledXgrandma Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Hey we got Kevin Murphy last year. He helped our d-league team to some critical wins.

7. Growlor

Growlor Member

Jun 21, 2011
    I don't know about all this fancy "mishandling trade" stuff. I am just glad our youth got that valuable playoff experience last spring. That obviously explains why we are now sitting in 7th place rather than the 8th place we ended in last year.

8. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones In pursuit of #9 Contributor

Jun 23, 2010
    Pretty much this.

9. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    Which of the Jazz young guys would be as good as Durrant, even if they had "let the young guys play"?

JimLes likes this.
  10. nightmare3983

nightmare3983 First BF League CHAMP Contributor

May 22, 2012
    Since they haven't gotten the chance, we'll never know.

11. Dr. Jones

Jun 23, 2010
    That's only part of the equation. Trade your vets, play your young'ns, draft well..

If we had done this last year we would have likely gotten a very good pick up of our own in the draft, this year's young guys would likely had been much further along, and we'd just be generally ahead of today rather than simply delaying a year.

12. kwb

kwb Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    The Jazz have been a good example on what to do but they've also been one on what not to Eg: Larry Miller not ponying up some extra money for just that one guy he needed to win two championships.

13. margodydek

margodydek Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I used to be a KOC apologist and defend his draft history; however, I can no longer support that cause. The man has basically had 4 top ten picks in back to back drafts (I'm including Favors, and I know Burks was a 12th pick), and apparently not one of these guys can crack the starting line up of a mediocre team that has no all-stars. That either means that KOC made some awful picks or Corbin has truly failed in developing our young players. The truth probably lies somewhere in-between.

14. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Y'all are some whiny bitches.

BabyPeterzz likes this.
  15. Captain Keefe

Captain Keefe Member

May 26, 2010
    This.

16. Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I always like the cherry picking of a successful team management ploy.

Clippers trade vets/play young'uns. How has that worked when they did it.

Washington is doing it right now.

Toronto did it when they shipped Vince Carter.

Would Denver count after Anthony trade?

I mean, when is the ACTUAL analysis going to take place?

LunaticWolf likes this.
  17. Lattimer

Jan 21, 2012
    I think you are missing the point.

We would have a very good idea of how good Favors and Hayward can be and a lot more data on Burks and Kanter at this point if they were playing a lot.

They are unknowns.

If they are great, we are in good shape. if they aren't we know that, and will be able to move forward looking for tha player in last years draft, this years and next year instead of this treadmill and stifle young players bs.

18. kwb

kwb Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    DeShawn. I also believe if Jerry would have given him more playing time, he wouldn't have covered himself in tattoos.

19. Dr. Jones

Jun 23, 2010
    How about we just analyze this team. Do you think we would have been better to get the young guys more playing time last year and this .. or do it the way we've done it?
    There's no right or wrong answer because we're guessing.

I have long since felt we should have played for the future success rather than what, feels like, managing like we're playing not to lose.

gregbroncs and spycam1 like this.
  20. Lattimer

Jan 21, 2012
    I'm going to refer to you, lunaticwolf, etc as the "separate but equal" crowd. Never question the status quo, the management. The Jazz are flawless and above any kind of scrutiny. They know what is best and are therefore not to be challenged in their decisions and way of thinking. lol