What's new

Disappointments So Far This Season

Wait so we are likely to get him on a bargain deal but NO couldn't afford him next year?

I don't think Hood has a jump in him... to be effective he has to shoot 40-45% from three on a good amount of attempts. His shot is good but streaky as hell. He won't be a paint scorer and his FT rate won't go up in a meaningful way. I'm not sure he can stay on the court long enough to be really consistent. I certainly don't think he has anything near what Hayward had in him. They are just so different.

I think his fair value is around 15M per year based on the market next year and what I'm seeing so far. What is the lowest amount per year you think he'd settle for? I feel the risk that he might get slightly overpaid is greater than we get him for a "bargain"... we may get him at a slightly lower number but it will be because that is what he earned and he isn't as valuable as we may think.

New Orleans isnt going to want to pay deep into the LT. They will want to keep Cousins. They can't keep Cousins and pay Hood, even on a good deal, unless they manage to get rid of Hill.

The biggest disappointment so far has been Hood. There isn't a close second.

I'd have to agree with Hood. Some analysts had him as most improved player this year and he won't get anywhere close to that.

Favors IMO needs to be traded for a stretch 4 also.

EDIT: Plus Donovan has also eclipsed Hood already in 11 games (which is pretty sad).

New Orleans isnt going to want to pay deep into the LT. They will want to keep Cousins. They can't keep Cousins and pay Hood, even on a good deal, unless they manage to get rid of Hill.

Their GM may not be thinking about next year.

If they get medical clearance on Asik they can get to a manageable cap position while keeping Boogie (I'm not sure if he is eligible or finds a team that gives him the mega max contract).

I think Hood could get us a first somewhere and if I was DL I'd be thinking pretty hard about it. He's been a steal on his current salary. I don't see a world where a healthy Hood gets less than 15M a year.

Because Quin likes to send 4 back on offensive rebounds and Rudy gets all the boards on D.

I have to wonder what impact that has on the defensive glass. Rebounders want the ball, but from a comment Quin made a few days ago, I get the impression that he chews them out if they try to get an offensive rebound. How can you develop a rebounder's mentality, ala Dennis Rodman, if you're only allowed to rebound on one end of the court?

I have to wonder what impact that has on the defensive glass. Rebounders want the ball, but from a comment Quin made a few days ago, I get the impression that he chews them out if they try to get an offensive rebound. How can you develop a rebounder's mentality, ala Dennis Rodman, if you're only allowed to rebound on one end of the court?

You have to be smart about it... last couple of games I've seen all our bigs sell out for boards and we get burned on defense because of it.

They also need to convince AD they are going to try and get him help... otherwise he may want out.

I just think they are going to get desperate and there are certainly pieces of a potential deal that make some sense.

Their GM may not be thinking about next year.

If they get medical clearance on Asik they can get to a manageable cap position while keeping Boogie (I'm not sure if he is eligible or finds a team that gives him the mega max contract).

I think Hood could get us a first somewhere and if I was DL I'd be thinking pretty hard about it. He's been a steal on his current salary. I don't see a world where a healthy Hood gets less than 15M a year.

If we can get a first-round pick in the next draft for Hood -- especially one near the middle of the round -- then I would take that deal. No hesitation. I'm pretty sure I've seen enough. Having two 1sts and our bevy of non-guaranteed contracts could be a big deal during draft day.

Im sick and tired of Snyders slow pace and positionless basketball......even with losing Hayward,Boston still scores more points than Utah.That shouldn't happen with Rubio.
You have Gobert and Favors and Udoh in the front court and Utah averages 8 LESS rebounds than Boston does... WTF.
I see Porzingas 7'3 and Kanter 6'11 running up and down on fast breaks and Rudy at 25 y.o and Favors at 26 y.o. jogging up the court slowly and somehow I think NY might have a brighter future.
I think Exum heals and bails out like Hayward did .He watches Rubio running to the corner like he did and probably sees his speed doesn't matter in Snyders offense like Rubio's passing prowess is wasted in Snyder's offense.
I've been thinking for awhile that Snyder coaches his style regardless to the fit of his players.
This season could be the last season we think Favors.Hood and Burks and even Gobert can get better stuck in Snyders offense.

Most disappointing Not watched the game vs HOU live, only the condensed game so I might be wrong.. But from I watched the Jazz actually did not play that bad both on offense and defense and still got blown out. IMO this is more serious anything else, and we may need to make some adjustments.

Most encouraging DM exceeding expectations vastly, already making an impact and even winning games.

The big picture '04 Pistons days are gone; these days an NBA team will need 3 big players to compete. Last year as a 50-win team the Jazz were actually one star away from contending, but what they needed was an alpha scorer to complement Gobert and Hayward.

Perhaps it's too premature but DM may turn into a star not long after. Then the Jazz will need a 3rd guy again from somewhere to compete. In the long term, this year is actually better than last year because unlike Hayward, DM is actually an alpha scorer, may become the #1 option. Besides he's 7 years younger and $30m cheaper.

The elephant in the room is Gobert - Favors duo. Gobert offensive's production improves vastly playing alongside a stretch-4. Even JJ-Gobert was great last year because spacing is so crucial for Gobert to operate down low.

Do Fav and Gobert fit together? Short answer is no, long answer is maybe. Last game Fav made 2/3 from three, and his shooting form actually looked good. But it's a long shot for him to develop a reliable 3P shot, isn't it?

Favors hasn't been super disappointing. I think he's just playing 'very, very safe'. I expect him to play more physical as the season wears on but who knows - maybe he won't. If that's the case, he's not getting overpaid.

Burks has been disappointing in that his defense hasn't been good. And because of that he's not getting a lot of floor time, which sucks, because he's been hitting the three well.

Hood... I'm pretty sure he's J.R. Smith. Though we're lucky that we did win the Portland game, which was by far his worst game.

I am disappointed Dante got injured. I thought he had matured, and was playing with confidence. I feel bad for him personally and for the Jazz team.

I am disappointed Dante got injured. I thought he had matured, and was playing with confidence. I feel bad for him personally and for the Jazz team.

He was a different player in summer league. He was aggressive, made a lot of really sweet plays and seemed to have better stamina. Imagine him, DM and Rudy playing to their ceilings together.

To elaborate a bit more... Ricky Rudy PnR is our "go to scorer" teams can straight neuter it by pulling in a third player from the wing or PF. We swing to open man... Favs, Hood, or Ingles... teams can close hard (or not at all off Favs) and because those guys aren't big threats then the initial action is blown up... less time on the shot clock and not any real individual creators on the floor.

everyone should make this their sig. It's easily the biggest story of the year so far.

This was what I was going to post. Here's a bit more in depth analysis of this play:

It sucks when Favors is on the floor. Quin basically is forcing the Jazz to play 4 on 5. They've tried it from various angles, with Favors leaking out to the straight away 3, playing the weak side corner, and strong side baseline (redundant defensive coverage on the corner three point shooter).

this play requires either Rubio or Jingles to commit and either dive for that scoop layup, lob to Gobert, kick out at the baseline to the corner, or stop on a dime and throw out to the top-wing area 3 shooter. They cannot pass off over the top of three defenders to the strong side corner 3. That commitment is leading to a ton of missed layups, turnovers, and fast breaks. Many of those turnovers and missed layups are coming from committing and then passing to Gobert way to early.

The Jazz did use this play very successfully out of HORNS against Portland, with Jingles playing one of the bigs. Mitchell, the ball handler, had to be guarded as did Jerebko and I forget who else at the three line. That left a two man PNR game and ended in the nice oop.

More on this later.

If we can get a first-round pick in the next draft for Hood -- especially one near the middle of the round -- then I would take that deal. No hesitation. I'm pretty sure I've seen enough. Having two 1sts and our bevy of non-guaranteed contracts could be a big deal during draft day.

Seriously. And one thing that Lindsay has proven is that he can find good players in the draft.

Im sick and tired of Snyders slow pace and positionless basketball......even with losing Hayward,Boston still scores more points than Utah.That shouldn't happen with Rubio.
You have Gobert and Favors and Udoh in the front court and Utah averages 8 LESS rebounds than Boston does... WTF.
I see Porzingas 7'3 and Kanter 6'11 running up and down on fast breaks and Rudy at 25 y.o and Favors at 26 y.o. jogging up the court slowly and somehow I think NY might have a brighter future.
I think Exum heals and bails out like Hayward did .He watches Rubio running to the corner like he did and probably sees his speed doesn't matter in Snyders offense like Rubio's passing prowess is wasted in Snyder's offense.
I've been thinking for awhile that Snyder coaches his style regardless to the fit of his players.
This season could be the last season we think Favors.Hood and Burks and even Gobert can get better stuck in Snyders offense.

Do you know what the term Restricted Free Agent means?