What's new

Disappointments So Far This Season

I was looking forward to this season, mainly because we would have a healthier team.

First, Dante goes down, then Joe Jesus seems to be plagued with what might be a chronic injury (shooting all those 3's over the years, maybe).

But the biggest disappointments for me have been the play of Favors, Burks, and Hood.

1. Favors looks healthy but his athleticism seems to have slipped a great deal. He seems not nearly as mobile and doesn't have the explosive lift as he did in past years when he wasn't injured.

2. While Burks still seems to have his athleticism, his confidence has declined considerably. He takes shots when he should pass, and passes when he should shoot. If anything, his basketball IQ which was never that high seems to have declined.

3. What can you say about Hood? He's streakier than ever. I don't think he will ever be the elite scorer we thought he would be.

It looks like we need to move on from these players who once had such great potential. You think I am being too hasty in my judgments?

Dante going down

Burks playing (though I'm glad he is healthy enough to play)

Snyder still unwilling to really use Favors

Thrillers this season:

1. Spida!!! We have a killer on our hands people.
2. Gobert is doing Gobert like things
3. Elite paint defense for a full 48 with Udoh
4. Sefolosha, Rubio and Mitchell harassing people on the perimeter (bad nights happen, get over it)
4. Rising coach that looks like he wants to ice pick fight
5. Ingles outside shooting and overall glueness

Yes, you're to hasty.

Hood is in a dramatically increased role offensively. Players usually struggle with that at first.

Favors is playing more of a midrange and outside game now than he is a paint game. Why? Gobert

Burks, lawl

Disappointments:

Hoods mediocre play.
Ricky not being this passing savant I hoped... so many turnovers on passes that shouldn't be attempted.
Burks sparkle and fade. Like Cy happy he's healthy but after looking great he has just showed the same mental struggles.

Happiness:

All things DM. Which outweighs all the negative. I would be so depressed if we didn't have DM.
Favs has been pretty damn good and has showed some improvement in key areas. Doing his perimeter defense thing and finishing in the paint again. Jumper looks much better than it ever has. Would like to see him some at backup center now that Udoh has settled down a bit.
The role players we signed all look like great values.

The Jazz are exactly where I thought they'd be after 10 games.

I thought they'd win the game in Phoenix; but I thought they'd lose the game against OKC at home so it's a wash. Collectively they've performed about what you can expect from them so I don't see much to be disappointed about.

Though I don't think I share the same expectations that most of the rest of the folks on this board has.

This team just does not have the offensive fire power to compete against any of the good teams like Houston or any teams that come in hot like The Suns - especially on the road. In fact I think The Jazz will struggle to win 15 road games the entire season.

For me, the inability of players to hit uncontested open 3s is just crazy. I understand there is a difference between hitting 3s in an empty gym with a shooting machine, but it seems like if you shoot 10s of thousands of these shots in the off season it would be muscle memory.

I am disappointed in Rodney and Burks.

5-5 is pretty darn good considering we lost haywood this last off-season.

I like Rubio.
Donovan is gonna be real good.
Favors is at least healthy and fairly consistent.
We know with hood we have a really good third or fourth offensive weapon who can get hot at times.

I'm disappointed with Dante not being able to play, I was excited for that.

Gobert has been great, but it seems like the league doesn't yet have the respect for him that he deserves offensively.

I am disappointed in Hood and Ingles passing wide open 3's. Rubio's passing so far been below average but I will give him another month or so to become familiar with the offence and how to hit Rudy on his rolls to the basket.

Rubio's passing so far been below average but I will give him another month or so to become familiar with the offence and how to hit Rudy on his rolls to the basket.

It seems he has taken permission to shoot to an extreme and he's looking for his shot too much, which has led to turnovers when he is unable to create a shot.

1. dante's injury
2. hood's under performace. thought he would play better. only 10 game into the season tho. I hope he bounces back.

That's pretty much it.

However......

Excitement for Mitchell >>>>> any disappointment so far

It seems he has taken permission to shoot to an extreme and he's looking for his shot too much, which has led to turnovers when he is unable to create a shot.

So just looked at some stats and it is all limited sample size but it seems the two guys who have the biggest difference in individual stats in wins and losses are Ricky and AB.

AB is primarily because of one big game to open the season, but it seems when Ricky scores more we win. TOs were similar. I think we need him to be aggressive.

Also, Joe Johnson was killing us and Jerebko needs to play more.

0. Dante :(
1. DL hastily trading for a player that is horrible fit for the team and for our center in a panicky attempt to keep Hayward.
2. Quin trying to turn Rubio into George Hill. Guess what? Not gonna happen. Rubio has the completely polar opposite offensive strengths and weaknesses. Instead of using him to utilize his strengths we continue to shove that triangle into the round hole.
3. Hood still consistently inconsistent. Good decision to not extend him. If he keeps playing like that we will have him on the cheap next summer...
4. Quin doesn't know what to do with Favors. We get mismatches all the time with him and we cannot exploit them. We cannot throw a freaking entry pass into the post on a sealed small opponent.

Last edited:
Hood needs to put in some effort in other categories when he is not shooting well. It feels like when he is 0 for, he just disappears every where else as well.

Ingles and Rubio need to stop force feeding Gobert..(which leads to either a turnover, or Gobert attempting to layup/dunk through 2-4 people).

Gobert needs to reduce his demands for the ball inside unless he ends up close to being wide open. It just feels he was most effective with put backs from offensive rebounds. He really needs to develop a jump shot.

Rubio, for some reason I cringe whenever he does a bounce pass so far this season... Hopefully that will change as he learns more about the team.

- He also keeps doing the booker/lyles 3 point pump fake before dribbling the ball in almost every single time..This is a wasteful action until he starts to actually shoot and make more 3s ..
- Rubio seems to also have a hard time figuring out how to get Favors involved in the offense, because he seems to prefer to attempt to pass to a defended Gobert instead.

Favors - His defensive intensity seems to have slipped

Outside of rebounding Favs has not really disappointed. His blocked shots are down, but he's not near the basket... more teams are moving to perimeter 4s and he is covering them well... tough to block shots when you are chasing Carmelo, Ryan Anderson, Blake Griffin, etc on the perimeter.

0. Dante :(
1. DL hastily trading for a player that is horrible fit for the team and for our center in a panicky attempt to keep Hayward.
2. Quin trying to turn Rubio into George Hill. Guess what? Not gonna happen. Rubio has the completely polar opposite offensive strengths and weaknesses. Instead of using him to utilize his strengths we continue to shove that triangle into the round hole.
3. Hood still consistently inconsistent. Good decision to not extend him. If he keeps playing like that we will have him on the cheap next summer...
4. Quin doesn't know what to do with Favors. We get mismatches all the time with him and we cannot exploit them. We cannot throw a freaking entry pass into the post on a sealed small opponent.

I think that's a little harsh on Quin... we don't have guys in the starting lineup that can create... Going from Hayward and Hill to Ricky and Ingles is just so different. I think Hayward and Hill made Ingles and Gobert so much more effective.

The concerns on Ricky are real... do we think a guy like Bledsoe... even if he isn't a shooter would be better. He could create and score in the paint at least.

Plain and simple, we lack elite 3 point shooting. We're not going to beat the GSWs or Rockets when they are on fire unless we have 3 pointing shooting too.

I'm not upset at all with Favors, he's making shots and has dunked the ball from distances rare for a man of his size.

Maybe next year, lets use our 2nd round picks on potential lights out 3 point shooters. The next steph curry, I don't care if he can't do anything else, just have the potential to go 5 from 5 from beyond the arch. Who couldn't see this coming? We need 3 point shooters. We are an above average team though.

1. dante's injury
2. hood's under performace. thought he would play better. only 10 game into the season tho. I hope he bounces back.

That's pretty much it.

However......

Excitement for Mitchell >>>>> any disappointment so far

Same.

Mitchell's last 5:

20ppg, 3.4rpg, 2apg and 1.6spg in 27mpg on 46% FG and 44% from 3. And that barely touches on his energy and aggressiveness on D.

I think that's a little harsh on Quin... we don't have guys in the starting lineup that can create... Going from Hayward and Hill to Ricky and Ingles is just so different. I think Hayward and Hill made Ingles and Gobert so much more effective.

The concerns on Ricky are real... do we think a guy like Bledsoe... even if he isn't a shooter would be better. He could create and score in the paint at least.
This is the disappointments thread so I'm listing the things I'm disappointed in(not saying there aren't things Quin has done well). I'm not saying Quin has it easy this season. Definitely not. He has a hell of hill to climb, but he's not helping himself right now. Either he needs to give the ball to Rubio and let him run the team in a more traditional PG role or we need Rubio to make opponents guard him and not go under every screen and sag off of him and clog the paint. I don't see a scenario where opponents will decide to guard Rubio with his efficiency shooting the ball.

BTW, Rubio is currently shooting 67% from 10 to 16 feet and 54% from 16 to 3p line. That's 40% of his shots. His efficiency is going to get even worse once this mid-range shooting regresses.

There is a real issue when you have a non-shooters running the pnr. Neither Gobert nor Rubio can punish opponents from distance consistently. There is a reason why Rubio is a turnover machine... it's not because he's a bad passer. It's because everyone goes under the screens and the bigs drop off in the paint to stop Gobert's roll and crowd the paint and there are a ton of hands and legs in the way of those passes. Rubio has turned the ball over on 33(THIRTY THREE!!!!!!)% of his PnRs. Most of those are him trying to pass to a crowded Gobert.

edit: About Bledsoe... I think he would be better fit, still not ideal though. Bledsoe is a threat to score on all 3 levels, something Rubio is really not... at any level. Which means opponent would have to guard him and cannot afford to give him tons and tons of space.

I'm curious about having Ricky AND Bledsoe. Hood can start at 3 or come off the bench (the latter is looking more-and-more like his best option, IMO. The dude just hasn't been up for the physical grind of being a go-to guy against the NBA's best).