What's new

DL out… kinda?

Is there any evidence that Zanik is actually good at his job?
I don’t know that any of us know, one way or the other. Apparently there’s enough there that the ownership group feels comfortable with going forward with him, and whatever issues they had with DL, they feel comfortable (enough) going forward.

To me, it’s not a “shake up” if the leadership and philosophy basically stay the same.
It’s a totally different ownership group. They’ve made a professional separation with DL that’s mutually beneficial to both parties and can do so diplomatically and with some PR spin of staying on in an advisory role.

It’s a totally different ownership group. They’ve made a professional separation with DL that’s mutually beneficial to both parties and can do so diplomatically and with some PR spin of staying on in an advisory role.
Sure, but is Zanik gonna be any different than DL? I mean, he was chief lieutenant for all of this past offseason and the Matty Ice trade.

Yeah hopefully that is what this is rather than a KOC still having a voice type of thing. They likely need him around for some continuity to finish the offseason.

Not super happy if Ainge comes in but maybe he can be the idea guy and Zanik can be the deal maker relationship guy. Hopefully we get Battier in here... I think he will be good.

Sure, but is Zanik gonna be any different than DL? I mean, he was chief lieutenant for all of this past offseason and the Matty Ice trade.
Hard to tell. To survive in a business you have to go along with a lot of things when you’re not manning the ship. Sure, there are times where some people stand up and are more direct with where things need to go, but those guys often find themselves no longer on the ship. So you have to survive. What we can surmise is that the ownership group wanted different ideas, and they would presumably be familiar enough with Zanik’s ideas and thinking to believe a transition to him is a change. What that would look like in practice remains to be seen. And what the FO structure will look like remains to be seen. Unclear if he’d even have authority over personnel or if he’s just the “GM” guy and the paperwork and business know-how guy while someone else they bring in does personnel.

Yeah hopefully that is what this is rather than a KOC still having a voice type of thing. They likely need him around for some continuity to finish the offseason.

Not super happy if Ainge comes in but maybe he can be the idea guy and Zanik can be the deal maker relationship guy. Hopefully we get Battier in here... I think he will be good.
We need Battier to suit up is what we need.

We don’t know really. JZ may have had ideas and deals that DL passed on. There seemed to be some minor differences when JZ took a bigger role. Namely we actually used some second round picks on players instead of trading them for cash or taking some guy with no chance of playing nba basketball.

We don’t know really. JZ may have had ideas and deals that DL passed on. There seemed to be some minor differences when JZ took a bigger role. Namely we actually used some second round picks on players instead of trading them for cash or taking some guy with no chance of playing nba basketball.
Wasn't JZ the one who called Doke "the best player available" when we drafted him last year? Whoever the new GM is, he gotta be a new guy with new vision and new ideas, not DL's sidekick