What's new

DL out… kinda?

DL isn’t perfect but the Jazz were a bit of a **** show when he was hired. He was able to dig the Jazz out of a rough era.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
He deserves some serious credit for this. I have definitely focused on some of the most recent issues but he left us better than he found us.

I trust Ryan to make the right moves (probably irrationally so because he is new... just seems sharp). I hope he doesn't just go with what is most familiar. If he does bring Ainge on I hope he is in the Jerry West role (kinda behind the scenes). I hope that they bring someone in that has burned down bridges to be the main dude.

I'd love to see Battier get a prominent role. He just seems like a smart dude. Maybe its his giant head or that he went to Duke.

I trust Ryan to make the right moves (probably irrationally so because he is new... just seems sharp). I hope he doesn't just go with what is most familiar. If he does bring Ainge on I hope he is in the Jerry West role (kinda behind the scenes). I hope that they bring someone in that has burned down bridges to be the main dude.

I'd love to see Battier get a prominent role. He just seems like a smart dude. Maybe its his giant head or that he went to Duke.
Or his tenacious defense

Battier was known as a smart player, was part of championship team, and also represents the exact type of player we need to add to this team (so maybe he would have a good eye for that)?

I'm not sure how long he has been part of the Heat front office, but they recently found and developed Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn in to rotation pieces.

Isn't he under contract with Toronto already or is it time for a new contract?

interesting video. I like what he says that is not just about now but 5 years and 10 years down the line. It is also not about winning playoff games it is about winning a championship.
There was a lot of speculation that Dallas might make a run at either him or Ainge before they settled on Harrison and Kidd. Everything that I’ve read so far is that his contract is expired, Washington is expected to make a big run at him, but that he’s likely to stay in Toronto. My personal opinion is that THIS is exactly the type of “free agent” acquisition that the Jazz can make that would turn some heads. . . you know. . . kind of like adding DWade as a minority owner and outspoken member of the team. This has the potential to be a Reggie White type of franchise changing acquisition. It’s clear that Ryan Smith seems willing to be bold. This would be bold.

Battier was known as a smart player, was part of championship team, and also represents the exact type of player we need to add to this team (so maybe he would have a good eye for that)?

I'm not sure how long he has been part of the Heat front office, but they recently found and developed Duncan Robinson and Kendrick Nunn in to rotation pieces.
I like that Battier’s role with the Heat has been in analytics - honestly, it’s an area the Jazz could use a upgrade in the front office IMO. We need an approach that prioritizes athletic wings. Hopefully DWade can help get him into the building.

I could live with Ainge but prefer Battier. No real reason other than Ainge seems to have squandered assets and opportunity the last five years and he’s 62 years old.

Like many have already said, DL wasn’t perfect, but he took over a team with Corbin as the coach and Al Jefferson as it’s “Star”. He’s leaving with Quin as our coach, and brought in Rudy and Donovan during his time here, so overall, the dude’s tenure here should be celebrated.

That being said, the recent mistakes of the DL era are probably the main reason we’re sitting at home watching The Clips vs Suns in the WCF. Doke might turn into a serviceable Center in this league, but DL literally couldn’t have had worse timing on botching a pick so badly. The Jazz pick Terrance Mann (or a handful of perimeter players thats were available) in favor of Doke and we’re still in the midst of our playoff run.

I have zero doubts that this decision was pushed by Ryan Smith and wouldn’t be surprised to hear that D-Wade had a voice in it as well. Props to Ryan. He’s certainly seen DL’s hits, but acknowledges that his misses are what’s keeping the Jazz from making the jump from a really good team, to a great team. It might be unfair, but a team like the Utah Jazz have to be damn near perfect with their decision making if they ever expect to actually hoist a championship banner. We missed an absolutely HUGE opportunity this postseason and apparently, our owner noticed. Which is something that probably wouldn’t have happened during the Miller era.

No to Ainge in anything other than a consultant role. He took advantage of Brooklyn and then failed to do anything with an absolute crap ton of assets. I don’t want him to have too much juice in the organization.

It sounds like DL was kinda not there the last few months... Tony used the words "checked out".... Locke talking about how this season was a lot of "fatigue".

So is JZ responsible for the Matt Thomas deal? if so I prefer Ainge.

It sounds like DL was kinda not there the last few months... Tony used the words "checked out".... Locke talking about how this season was a lot of "fatigue".

If TJ is referencing DL as “checked out,” then this **** must be really bad.

If TJ is referencing DL as “checked out,” then this **** must be really bad.
Tony’s recent article said that management didn’t do exit interviews with the players as they normally do. Tony’s article left the impression that DL checked out as soon as the offseason started.

Tony actually said he had "checked out"?

Tony actually said he had "checked out"?
So the article says "Lindsey became less engaged as the days progressed, according to sources." It sounds like this is since we got bounced, and I can't find anything to suggest it was before the end of the playoffs. I'm guessing he must have known this was coming.

Also it's probably hard doing exit interviews this year vs. other years because you could always throw it back on the players of what they need to do to improve. In this case they must have some level of self-awareness to know that the vast majority of this is a FO/coaching failure.

So the article says "Lindsey became less engaged as the days progressed, according to sources." It sounds like this is since we got bounced, and I can't find anything to suggest it was before the end of the playoffs. I'm guessing he must have known this was coming.
I’m sure the Elijah Millsap thing played a part in it as well. There’s no doubt in my mind that DL knew it was Championship or bust for this squad, and they got busted in about the worst way possible.

I may have read it wrong... I combined that with Locke talking about how hard this season was and fatigue (he was talking front office not on court) and just kinda sounds like DL was waiting for the clock to run out.

No to Ainge in anything other than a consultant role. He took advantage of Brooklyn and then failed to do anything with an absolute crap ton of assets. I don’t want him to have too much juice in the organization.
It was more on Nets then GM Billy King's legendary stupidity than on Ainge's intelligence. Portland also got a lottery pick from Billy King that later turned into Dame Lillard for half season rental of Gerald Wallace. Made me feel that we should've gotten even more in that DWill deal to the Nets in 2011.