What's new

Do you support these protests against Trump?

Do you support these protests against Trump?

• Total voters
I'd be interested to see what this election would have looked like with these rules.

Mre too. I searched for it and couldn't see anything out there in cyberspace (even ignoring the part about modifying the number of electors based on voter turn-out). If I get a chance I might just do it state by state, but I am far too lazy for that.

The thing is EVERYONE has engendered stereotypes they live with, because it is how our brains work. Sterotypes are useful in facilitating reasoning.

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/onlyhuman/2008/04/neurology-of-stereotypes_24.cfm

The trick is learning to ignore our impulse to stereotype when it comes to other individuals or groups. If you look at what is being said about Trump supporters it is largely based on stereotypes that can be proven patently false for SOME people, but not false for ALL people, which is the core of a stereotype to begin with.

I agree that we have stereotypes that we love with. It's how we work.

On the flip side though, saying that Trump voters are racist isn't a revolutionary thing. Look, it's not like we didn't know that a lot of the people in this country are racist. Less than 60 million people voted for Trump. That's less than 19% of the total population. Even if you say half of those people are the racist half, and the other was merely ok with voting for a racist candidate, that's about 1 in 10 people in our country that has racist views.

THAT IS NOT A STRETCH. There are racist people on this country, and there are people who are ok voting for a racist candidate. Are the ones who are alright voting racist actually racist themselves? Probably not, but you can't categorically rule it out, in the same way that you can't rule out that Clinton voters have elitist tendencies.

I agree that we have stereotypes that we love with. It's how we work.

On the flip side though, saying that Trump voters are racist isn't a revolutionary thing. Look, it's not like we didn't know that a lot of the people in this country are racist. Less than 60 million people voted for Trump. That's less than 19% of the total population. Even if you say half of those people are the racist half, and the other was merely ok with voting for a racist candidate, that's about 1 in 10 people in our country that has racist views.

THAT IS NOT A STRETCH. There are racist people on this country, and there are people who are ok voting for a racist candidate. Are the ones who are alright voting racist actually racist themselves? Probably not, but you can't categorically rule it out, in the same way that you can't rule out that Clinton voters have elitist tendencies.

The same argument could apply the other way too. If we assume this is correct then 1 out of every 10 who voted for Hilary are also racist. Unless you are assuming NO ONE who voted for Hilary is a racist, which cannot be proven.

Edit:

And the most recent numbers show Trump with 60,347,000 votes or so. Hilary at 60.8 mill.

The same argument could apply the other way too. If we assume this is correct then 1 out of every 10 who voted for Hilary are also racist. Unless you are assuming NO ONE who voted for Hilary is a racist, which cannot be proven.

That's a ridiculous argument. Trump was the racist candidate. I'm not saying that aren't racist Hillary supporters out there, but you are trying to argue that the candidates would be equally appealing to racists. That is ridiculous.

That's a ridiculous argument. Trump was the racist candidate. I'm not saying that aren't racist Hillary supporters out there, but you are trying to argue that the candidates would be equally appealing to racists. That is ridiculous.

Anti-white tendencies are not racism? You cannot say one way or the other because only the vocal racists are seen. You can assume, sure, and admittedly it is probably a pretty reasonable assumption. But you can't prove it.

Anti-white tendencies are not racism? You cannot say one way or the other because only the vocal racists are seen. You can assume, sure, and admittedly it is probably a pretty reasonable assumption. But you can't prove it.

Yeah I'm not getting into a ******** anti white racism argument.

Anyways, the argument is about Trump's apposition of the racist candidate position. Hillary was not overtly anti white, in fact, she was establishment, which is viewed as white, and she is white, so your argument doesn't really make sense.

Anyone watch SNL with Chappelle? SNL's cast ****ing blows hard, but Chappelle had a good monologue and two funny skits (one great one).

Then watch the video. It's not what you're thinking. I'm not saying people who are mildly racist are secretly hating black people, just that they have engendered stereotypes that they live with.

The Trump vote did show a racist undertone though. Like I said earlier, not everyone who voted for Trump is racist, but every racist likely voted for Trump.

I don't like Louis CK, or any comedian really. Too much stuff on the internet for me to watch one of his vids lol.

Having stereotypes about people is just callled being alive, not being racist.

This would be a never ending argument I'm sure, so I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Dump has a really really long road ahead of him to "unify" this country. Just wait until the next black kid is murdered, natural disaster, or elementary school shot up. He succeeds at polarizing people. We've seen that for decades. But bringing people together? Lol.

Dump will soon find out that it's much easier to blame obama, Bash the Bush family, or insult Rubio or Clinton than to find solutions.

I don't like Louis CK, or any comedian really. Too much stuff on the internet for me to watch one of his vids lol.

Having stereotypes about people is just callled being alive, not being racist.

This would be a never ending argument I'm sure, so I'm happy to agree to disagree.

The bigger argument here is how can you (specifically you, not like in general ) not like comedians? I feel like my perception if you has been all wrong. Of course, you're not as much of a goofball since you started posting again.

Then watch the video. It's not what you're thinking. I'm not saying people who are mildly racist are secretly hating black people, just that they have engendered stereotypes that they live with.

The Trump vote did show a racist undertone though. Like I said earlier, not everyone who voted for Trump is racist, but every racist likely voted for Trump.
It showed that racism, or suppressing racism, isn't a top priority to a lot of people.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

The bigger argument here is how can you (specifically you, not like in general ) not like comedians? I feel like my perception if you has been all wrong. Of course, you're not as much of a goofball since you started posting again.

Haha, if I watch a comedian I usually think they're pretty funny, but get bored within like 2 min.

I don't really like comedy movies either. I do love Seinfeld though. Currently re watching all the seasons with my fiancé.

Haha, if I watch a comedian I usually think they're pretty funny, but get bored within like 2 min.

I don't really like comedy movies either. I do love Seinfeld though. Currently re watching all the seasons with my fiancé.

i love seinfeld

What Now?

BY*SEAN PATRICK HUGHES*ON*NOVEMBER 12, 2016

I’m not a liberal. I’m not a safe space, social crusader. I’m not a sore loser who can’t get over the fact that Hillary Clinton wasn’t elected president. The notion that I had to put what lukewarm support I had for a candidate behind her was a source of great frustration for me. I am, at my very core, someone with conservative foundations. I believe that men and women, whenever possible, should be free to live their lives without government intervention. My family and my Christian faith are the center of my life. I like my guns. Chances are, I’m better than you at using them. I’ve worked with and for the toughest most dangerous men on the planet-men you’ve read books about, men you’ve seen movies about. I’ll never claim to be one. But I’ve proven myself useful in their presence. I share this with you so you understand where and who the message I’m about to deliver comes from.

I’ve been all over this planet. And there’s a troubling observation that I’ve made on my way. It’s that mankind, when left to our own devices, does not naturally accept different people. Whether I saw Sunni and Shia in Iraq refusing to recognize the humanity of the other because of relatively nuanced differences in their common faith, or tribal warfare and genocide in sub-Saharan Africa or racial oppression and modern slavery of East Asia, the ingrained need to divide and subjugate others is ever present. In mankind’s darkest moments, the most common culprit has been that division.

For most of the last seventy thousand years, since the cognitive revolution of man drove us to organize, we’ve programmed ourselves to trust and support those that are similar to us. The result is that there have been frighteningly few societies in the history of mankind which have not been separated by either race, class or gender. Where there is one race, we make caste systems. Where lack of structure provides no castes, we subjugate gender. It’s as consistent across time and region as the number of our limbs or the shape of our organs. Fifty years ago in America, we made the first real effort, at scale, in the history of man, to change it in a society as diverse as ours. And since then, we’ve made great but imperfect progress. The work isn’t done. But we’re further than where we were 50 years ago. When we get there and make good on the promise penned by our forefathers, it will be the greatest, rarest accomplishment in our history.

On Tuesday, we took one giant leap backward on the arc of our journey to one people. And over the last four days, I’ve been bombarded by explanations of why Donald J. Trump was just elected president. I don’t need any more. I didn’t need them in the first place. I know why he was elected. He was elected because the only message that matters for the American government in 2016 is a need for change. And when the alternative to that change was someone who moved into the White House when I was fifteen, (I’m 40 now) that choice was clear for some. But it was a choice. And the ultimate choice that was made, the one people will remember a hundred years from now, was a willingness to ignore personal decency and fair treatment towards people who are different in service to that change. That was the choice that the minority of the American electorate made. That was the choice that about a quarter of eligible American voters made.

I’m not here to argue the legitimacy of the results. And I don’t get to pick and choose whether I support democracy because of the outcomes. I won’t tell you that you are a racist or a bigot if you voted for Donald Trump. I won’t even tell you that you personally are indecent. But I will tell you what you just bought with your choice. You bought a very vigilant, sensitive and loud American majority who will cry foul at the drop of a hat for anything that resembles attacks on those we have fought so hard for these last fifty years. Because what you showed us with his nomination and your vote in the election, is that you can’t be trusted to do it without us.

Many of my devout conservative friends were remarkably quiet when their candidate trashed their personal values. And they were remarkably quiet when their candidate made inexcusable first hand remarks about minorities, women and disabled Americans. And they were remarkably quiet when the dark forces of white supremacists aligned themselves in support of their candidate. I understand why. You couldn’t live with the alternative. So you rationalized out of fear that speaking up would enable it. Well, that risk is gone now. You avoided the end you couldn’t live with. That excuse is gone. And now it’s fair to say that tolerance of that behavior from here on can only be seen as an endorsement of it. So when there’s a KKK rally in North Carolina to celebrate the election of the candidate you support, you no longer have any excuse not to condemn it with the same uncompromising vigor that you condemned Hillary. Let’s see the memes. Let’s see the Facebook posts. Let’s see the outrage.

Perhaps the rest of America can trust you to hold the leader of our government to the change you so uncompromisingly sought. But we won’t trust you to look out for our fellow Americans who are different. So get ready for four years of vocal, loud, peaceful I pray, dissent. If you thought the core Trump supporters would be loud if Hillary Clinton won, what do you think is going to happen now that you’ve *marginalized a group that has much more to lose than freedom from background checks for guns and a ten percent lag in wage growth? At stake for them, is participation in our society. And if their vocal insistence on it is something you aren’t willing to tolerate, then perhaps you might consider a different path in thirty months when you get to choose your next leader without the looming evil of Hillary excusing your choice. You can’t point to her any more as cause.

If insistence on decent treatment of all Americans makes me a liberal in the eyes of conservatives, then maybe we should take some time to reflect on who our modern conservatives actually are. The world is watching.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

I think that maybe I can possibly do that(perhaps). I can think of a couple scenarios. Keep in mind states were never meant to hand out their electors in a winner take all manner. I'm assuming that practice would end.

1) The national vote is very close. A Florida recount is one thing a national one would create chaos.

2) Third party spoiler. Another unlikely scenario but it's bound to happen sooner or later. I have to think for instance that if Nader had won an elector that that elector would have voted for Gore.

3) Rigging elections. The Presidential elections are almost impossible to rig for 2 main reasons A) The elections are ran locally and B) because a vote only has impact within that state.

Maybe that's not enough to keep the electoral college but looking around at the way elections go in the world number 3 just might be.

1. How does the electoral college solve this? It is the same situation in both, except with the electoral system the problem is multiplied by the number of swing states. With a national vote system, that could only arise when the vote is very close nationally. With the current system, the problem can arise with every competitive swing state. In both cases an error can hand the opponent the election. I see how, logistically, a national vote recount would be a bigger headache, but that is such a trivial consideration when the alternative is an undemocratic arbitrary system where a chunk of each state's voters are automatically disenfranchised. What was the point of me voting for HRC this election? Nothing. I am robbed of meaningful participation in the most important civic event in a supposed democracy. So recount logistics be damned.

2. I don't really understand this. Currently, third part spoilers is a more significant "problem". A 1% third part candidate defection can cause one major party candidate to lose ALL the votes from a state. How is this better?

3. I think it's actually the opposite. Vote rigging is much more meaningful in the electoral college system, since changing a tiny number of votes can have a huge impact on the national tally. Additionally, you can still run the elections locally, as you do now. Hell, you can even award electors based on proportion of vote cast for each candidate. I don't see how that's an issue.