Doc is at it again starting that BS.
BPG - Gobert #2, Simmons #62
DREB - Gobert #1, Simmons # 87
DREB% - Gobert #3, Simmons # 47
BLK% - Gobert #4, Simmons #64
DefWS - Gobert #1, Simmons # 15
DBPM - Gobert #6, Simmons #9
DTRG - Gobert # 2, Simmons # 16

Ben's dramatically IMPROVED his defense. His award MID (Most Improved Defender) or hell, give him another ROY award, but don't take the DPOY away from Rudy, he's clearly earned it.

Also, I like how the pic for this article is Ben getting away with hitting Donovan in the head. He's 6'11" and Donovan's 6'1" - he can't guard him without fouling?

As much as I would like Rudy to win again, however the media and ppl are already crowning Simmons as DPOY since Rudy has already won it a couple times and isn't a sexier pick.
It is said Simmons has brought it when it really counted, shutting down offensive players during crunch time while Rudy gets lit up against superior players when he is guarding them. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just posting what ppl are saying.

Better hold onto that top record. The whole league is against Rudy and the Jazz. It's hard to win anything given what happened last year that made us the scapegoat for shutting down the entire league

It’s a media award. They dint want to give it to Rudy. They’re already going to be forced to give one of our guys 6th man. They want something sexy and something they can talk about and get excited about. They don’t want to talk about Gobert. Plenty of Simmons boners ready to take flight. Having another league darling like Rivers talk it up gives plenty of permission and justification for them to mentally masturbate on his prowess.

It’s a media award. They dint want to give it to Rudy. They’re already going to be forced to give one of our guys 6th man. They want something sexy and something they can talk about and get excited about. They don’t want to talk about Gobert. Plenty of Simmons boners ready to take flight. Having another league darling like Rivers talk it up gives plenty of permission and justification for them to mentally masturbate on his prowess.
You know Rivers is his coach, right?

You also know Gobert is the strong betting favorite to win DPOY, right?

Reactions: UB

If you look at the history of the award, DPOY is probably the most objective award there is. It certainly feels like Ben is winning because of the media...but Vegas is probably not over reacting to this small slice of time.

If the voters vote they have voted, there really isn't a debate. There are no candidates besides Gobert.

Betting on BS might be a good play then.

Awards are goofy. They don't like to give them away to the same guy every year... that **** is too boring. There is also the narrative in the media that "rudy gets played off the floor in the playoffs"... its not true but that doesn't stop anyone.

I have a hard time seeing Quin do something like this. Doc is elite at pandering to his players through the media. Helluva hype man.

It may backfire though... some of the media seem like the contrarian types that don't love being told what to think.

Betting on BS might be a good play then.

Awards are goofy. They don't like to give them away to the same guy every year... that **** is too boring. There is also the narrative in the media that "rudy gets played off the floor in the playoffs"... its not true but that doesn't stop anyone.
As long as the Jazz keep winning it should be a lock. Jazz schedule only gets easier and easier as time goes.

As long as the Jazz keep winning it should be a lock. Jazz schedule only gets easier and easier as time goes.
But Philadelphia is only a couple games behind us. If they finish first in the standings it changes the calculus.

Horse races with a runaway leader don't make headlines. Same goes for DPoY candidates. The media plays up the competitiveness to get more money.

But Philadelphia is only a couple games behind us. If they finish first in the standings it changes the calculus.
As is phoenix. And the Lakers are not an insurmountable distance behind. And the nets are right there as well, in fact I believe they are now 2nd in the league standings. It's going to be a 5 horse race for 1st. Could end up adding to the growing swell that James should win it.

It would be nice if Rudy shut down Jokic or something during a nationally televised game. I agree it should be Rudy if we keep winning. BS isn’t even the best defensive player on his team... that team has other great defenders too and I believe they are still below us on defensive rating.

I mean its not crazy, Simmons has had really good success against the elite wings this year, and can guard 1 - 4 but he also has Embiid backing him up which obviously helps a ton. Rudy does way way more for this team defensively. Voters might look at Jokic and Embiid dropping 40 on him as a big knock though.

Tbh I was expecting that with Embid out, Philly would start losing a lot of games or at least having the opponents to score much more points with Tony Bradley starting, but that didn't happen so far. They held NYK to 96 and SAS to 99.
That doesn't make Simmons more impactfull or a better defensive player than Gobert by no means, but the impact that Embid has on his performance might not be as big.

Doc is doing what good coaches do for their players. I really hope BS doesn't win it and I dont think he deserves it in any way but I seriously doubt that Rudy will, regardless of what the numbers say.

Tbh I was expecting that with Embid out, Philly would start losing a lot of games or at least having the opponents to score much more points with Tony Bradley starting, but that didn't happen so far. They held NYK to 96 and SAS to 99.
That doesn't make Simmons more impactfull or a better defensive player than Gobert by no means, but the impact that Embid has on his performance might not be as big.
I think they have 8 out of 10 coming up on the road, with a lot of good western conference teams mixed in there. We'll see how that holds up for them.