What's new

Does Burks deserve to be a starter yet?

Crawlnstall

Burks has been playing better and better, it's great to see his confidence grow. Am I the only one that thinks he should be starting in games? I know the bench needs a scorer, but I'd really like to see what kind of damage he could do starting. If anything for just a few games. Thoughts?

I was just about to post something similar. Put him in at SG, move Hayward to the 3, and send Jefferson to Milwaukee for a bag of chips.

With Hayward playing as inefficiently as he is right now, might be a good idea to move Alec to the start to try and relieve some of the burden on Gordon. Plus, Alec plays a lot better with Trey next to him.

Our bench would be dead in the water if we did that though.

He's been playing a lot of minutes. Should he start? Yes. Does the coaching staff feel they need a scorer off the bench? They seem to. I don't know if that's right or wrong; but he's getting his time.

Burks has really been the most improved of our young guys. Especially with starting the season not so great. It looks like he's gotten better BBIQ with passing and choosing to shoot. He probably should have had 7 more points, when he missed those two layups and that wide open 3.

Burks has really been the most improved of our young guys. Especially with starting the season not so great. It looks like he's gotten better BBIQ with passing and choosing to shoot. He probably should have had 7 more points, when he missed those two layups and that wide open 3.

He just understood that he always to attack the rim. It seems to me that his shooting didn't improve.

No, he still hasn't paid his dues. Jefferson and Williams have been in the league a lot longer. The young 'uns need to learn to follow the example of the veterans who know how to play hard. Let Burks continue to make meal runs until he's at least 30.

With Hayward playing as inefficiently as he is right now, might be a good idea to move Alec to the start to try and relieve some of the burden on Gordon. Plus, Alec plays a lot better with Trey next to him.

18/6/6 on 45% shooting is inefficient?

Those are his last 10 games btw. If you'd like to go further back, he's shooting 44.6% for the months of December and January. I'd hardly consider that inefficient.

I've been on the Alec Burks should start bandwagon for years now, but it's not even the starting that matters much, it's the minutes. The problem with not starting is that he misses 6-10 minutes of PT at the beginning of each half. Even if he plays the rest of the game (which he never does - he'll get pulled for the last half or so of the second quarter and sometimes the 4th) that means the most he can play is about 32 minutes. He's only averaging 27 minutes per - that is the problem. He played 38 tonight, partly because he started - he didn't miss those 6-10 minutes right off the bat. If Corbin would commit to bringing Burks in at the six minute mark of the 1st and 3rd and then let him play the rest of each half, that would be okay too. But the 27 minutes seems to be a problem.

But a bench of kanter, Jefferson, evans, garrett and a starter along with them wouldn't be so bad

He's been playing a lot of minutes. Should he start? Yes. Does the coaching staff feel they need a scorer off the bench? They seem to. I don't know if that's right or wrong; but he's getting his time.

I explain it above, but he really isn't getting his time - or at least the time he should be getting. 27 minutes on the season and even just 28 in January.

The list of players that have gotten the nod over alec at one point or another is laughable..... Josh howard, raja bell, cj miles, randy foye, Richard Jefferson, and to a lesser extent Jamaal tinsley and earl Watson.

Pretty crappy list.

Some people have always said that the team would be worse if alec starts and that alec would be worse in a starting role... it was always a safe thing for those people to say since alec never got to start.
If Hayward misses any significant amount of time then those folks will probably look like fools

I think you have to make Burks a starter, move Hayward to the 3, and let Jefferson be the "star" of the second unit. Who cares if RJ's feelings are hurt, what is he going to do?...leave us for another team at the end of the season?

27 minutes per game aint bad (less than Jefferson though), but he should be up above 30 per game......... and the last 2 years he should have been getting 25 per game......but hey if ya have randy foye, josh howard, raja bell, or Richard Jefferson, then you have to play em