What's new

Does Kanter start when he's back from injury?

Will Kanter start or be benched in favor of Gobert when he returns?

• Kanter starts

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Kanter gets benched

Votes: 35 57.4%

• Total voters

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
Seriously, do you think he will start when he recovers from his sprained ankle or do you think Gobert has made enough of an impact to justify benching Kanter?

This is a tough one.

1. I think you send a bad message to the entire team if you let a player be supplanted by an injury. IMO, this has to happen in practice and over the course of a few games. You can still give Rudy 30 mins/per. Just start Enes and bring him out at the 6 min mark.

2. Are the Jazz planning to shop Kanter? If so, keep starting him until the trade deadline.

3. Do the Jazz want to re-sign him? Then they better keep starting him. Otherwise, he and his agent likely accuse the Jazz of trying to devalue him in advance of free agency. They could very well take the same path as Monroe - i.e. play for the QO - if they don't receive a high enough offer.

I don't see how you can bench Gobert. His defensive impact is just unreal - I'd argue he's been the MVP of our team during this 7-4 stretch.

There's also the fact that our bench sorely lacks scoring, which Kanter would significantly improve. Gotta go with Gobert starting with Kanter coming off the bench.

Yeah, this is more complicated than you would think. If it's about winning now, then Rudy is the starter without question. Since I don't believe Utah is in win now mode, it gets a lot more complicated. I'm going to guess Kanter will go back to starting. Utah is either looking to trade or re-sign him. Sending him to the bench could work in our favor by keeping his value down, but after what happened with Monroe, I'd imagine teams are a little nervous of having the same thing happen with a disgruntled player.

stitches is joining the Jazz?

aaa.jpg

Yeah, this is more complicated than you would think. If it's about winning now, then Rudy is the starter without question. Since I don't believe Utah is in win now mode, it gets a lot more complicated. I'm going to guess Kanter will go back to starting. Utah is either looking to trade or re-sign him. Sending him to the bench could work in our favor by keeping his value down, but after what happened with Monroe, I'd imagine teams are a little nervous of having the same thing happen with a disgruntled player.

Agreed. I don't think any coach wants to send the message that a player can lose their starting role because of injury. Doing so isn't fair to the player, and Q should give Kanter plenty of rope once he comes back, but it will be up to him whether he keeps the spot. Rudy obviously has made his case so far. If Kanter can't get it together by ASB, i fully expect Rudy to start at center. Hell, if Kanter really struggles it may be sooner than that.

Agreed. I don't think any coach wants to send the message that a player can lose their starting role because of injury. Doing so isn't fair to the player, and Q should give Kanter plenty of rope once he comes back, but it will be up to him whether he keeps the spot. Rudy obviously has made his case so far. If Kanter can't get it together by ASB, i fully expect Rudy to start at center. Hell, if Kanter really struggles it may be sooner than that.

This is how I feel too.
I think kanter will continue to start..... but rudys minutes well be greater than they were pre-kanter injury

Kanter will start, but I'd be shocked if Rudy wasn't starting be the end of the season. Coach has to let Kanter prove that he can start after the injury.

I'm not worried about Kanter... He is an ancillary piece to me at this point. If we took Gobert out of the starting lineup I'd be more worried about what it would do to Rudy's attitude. The guy busts his tail and we are clearly better with him and Favs on the court together. If Kanter wants his starting gig back he needs to earn it back... this don't lose your starting gig due to an injury thing is stupid. It would send a mixed message to all of our young players.

I'd be fine with moving Kanter for whatever we can get at this point. A 3 big rotation of Favs, Gobert, and Booker is pretty good to me. He might have more trade value once resigned to a reasonable contract, but that assumes we can resign him to a reasonable deal. I think he's a good player, but we have better options right now.

I'm not worried about Kanter... He is an ancillary piece to me at this point. If we took Gobert out of the starting lineup I'd be more worried about what it would do to Rudy's attitude. The guy busts his tail and we are clearly better with him and Favs on the court together. If Kanter wants his starting gig back he needs to earn it back... this don't lose your starting gig due to an injury thing is stupid. It would send a mixed message to all of our young players.

I'd be fine with moving Kanter for whatever we can get at this point. A 3 big rotation of Favs, Gobert, and Booker is pretty good to me. He might have more trade value once resigned to a reasonable contract, but that assumes we can resign him to a reasonable deal. I think he's a good player, but we have better options right now.

repped.

Rudy's attitude is exactly what this team has been lacking for YEARS. Yes, YEARS. Once that emerges, you don't put anything else in front of it.

repped.

Rudy's attitude is exactly what this team has been lacking for YEARS. Yes, YEARS. Once that emerges, you don't put anything else in front of it.

This is true... in addition to being the best interior defender in the NBA right now... he has a little bit of a-hole to him... we haven't had that since Harpring retired.

Good post

Kanter could improve immensely and still not be better than Favors or Gobert. You just can't bench Gobert at this point, it sends the wrong message to the entire team. Do you think the starters want to replace Gobert with Kanter? I guarantee you that they do not. There is no really reasonable argument for not letting Gobert start for the next 10 years other than he cannot walk.

repped.

Yep. And if the team is worried about being a money making business, this is exactly the type of player to sell fans in utah. Rudy, hayward and favors are utah guys.

For all of you worried about Kanter's value, what happens to it when he returns and our defensive rating plummets?

For all of you worried about Kanter's value, what happens to it when he returns and our defensive rating plummets?

Either primetime or sexual favors posted something a few days ago that showed that the jazz defensive rating had been steadily improving and gotten a lot better during the month of December with kanter in the lineup for whatever that is worth to you.

Would be interesting to see the poll results if the poll said "do you want kanter to start" instead of "do you kante will start"

Either primetime or sexual favors posted something a few days ago that showed that the jazz defensive rating had been steadily improving and gotten a lot better during the month of December with kanter in the lineup for whatever that is worth to you.

Stated improvement wasn't wildly conclusive and happened during an extremely soft part of the schedule. Gobert is fixing the WHOLE DEFENSE, whereas if Kanter isn't being exposed, then his team defense is exposing someone else (Favors and the perimeter players). Yes, the team was getting better adjusting for Kanter, and Kanter himself was improving, but this is nowhere near what Rudy is doing. It's a totally different ballgame.