What's new

Does Kanter start when he's back from injury?

Will Kanter start or be benched in favor of Gobert when he returns?

• Kanter starts

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Kanter gets benched

Votes: 35 57.4%

• Total voters
As much as I hate to say it, as long as Rudy keeps playing like this, you gotta start him. I love Kanter, but unfortunately Rudy is just beasting right now. Kanter certainly would help with some scoring off the bench though, so it may end up being a win win situation in the end if you bench Kanter.

Stated improvement wasn't wildly conclusive and happened during an extremely soft part of the schedule. Gobert is fixing the WHOLE DEFENSE, whereas if Kanter isn't being exposed, then his team defense is exposing someone else (Favors and the perimeter players). Yes, the team was getting better adjusting for Kanter, and Kanter himself was improving, but this is nowhere near what Rudy is doing. It's a totally different ballgame.

I don't know all about this improvement... it does seem that Kanter got better, but what my eyes told me last night was that anytime someone got within 10 feet of the bucket they were thinkin bout Rudy. Gasol looked like he was going to cry. Noah was super frustrated... it was great.

I don't know all about this improvement... it does seem that Kanter got better, but what my eyes told me last night was that anytime someone got within 10 feet of the bucket they were thinkin bout Rudy. Gasol looked like he was going to cry. Noah was super frustrated... it was great.

would rep again

Kanter needs to get benched. It's fine-- he'll feast on defenses. Our team could honestly hit 40 wins, with a bench that good. Could you imagine if we had Burks as well?

Trey
Burks
Hayward
Favors
Gobert

Dante
Hood
Millsap
Booker
Kanter

Pretty good if you ask me.

I expect Kanter to start, but Rudy will still get about 25 minutes/game. This shows Kanter is healthy to trade partners. Kanter will likely be traded before the trade deadline next month and Rudy moves back into the starting lineup.

Stated improvement wasn't wildly conclusive and happened during an extremely soft part of the schedule. Gobert is fixing the WHOLE DEFENSE, whereas if Kanter isn't being exposed, then his team defense is exposing someone else (Favors and the perimeter players). Yes, the team was getting better adjusting for Kanter, and Kanter himself was improving, but this is nowhere near what Rudy is doing. It's a totally different ballgame.
Good post and I agree

The bench squad needs a go to scorer... let that be Kanter. As Jazz fans we've all been waiting for a star... HE'S HERE. Kanter didn't lose his job because of injury... Gobert came in and set the world on fire and took it.

Kevin Pelton tweeted out last night "We can only hope Rudy Gobert is a benevolent leader".

I just don't care about Kanter's trade value. Could we get a 1st rounder for him? I think so... may not be a good first rounder. We start him and suck again... are we going to get two first rounders? Just don't think he needs to be showcased per se. Think GMs are smart enough to know what we have.

Small sample size and Jazz have been running well so that down plays the impact Gobert has made.

Gobert has such a great on/off because he plays primarily with Kanter and can be hidden on offense. Kanter has such a low on/off because he plays with Favors too. Put Favors with Gobert and you will see both there on/off plummet and aka tears go up. Then the forum will hate on Gobert and praise Kanter. That's why I look at the long picture.

Also I have to say that switching Hood in for Burks makes Kanter-Favors on/off go from minus 1 to plus 15. It's no surprise the Jazz started winning when Burks got injured. He's just not a good fit next to them in the starting unit. Needs to be a sixth man.

Yeah, this is more complicated than you would think. If it's about winning now, then Rudy is the starter without question. Since I don't believe Utah is in win now mode, it gets a lot more complicated. I'm going to guess Kanter will go back to starting. Utah is either looking to trade or re-sign him. Sending him to the bench could work in our favor by keeping his value down, but after what happened with Monroe, I'd imagine teams are a little nervous of having the same thing happen with a disgruntled player.

I'm actually not sure it's overly complicated. Gobert, as of right now, is a superior player to Kanter. To me, this isn't in question because a.) he's not Black Holing the offense, b.) he's literally a game changer on defense thus far, c.) his block to PF ratio is insane, and d.) his FG% is exactly what you want (very high percentage, good shots, and efficient at finishing).

Basically, Gobert's emergence allows them to bring back Kanter slowly rather than starting him immediately. That said, I'd rather have Gobert on the floor right now. He fixes so many problems defensively that it's ludicrous.

Agreed. I don't think any coach wants to send the message that a player can lose their starting role because of injury. Doing so isn't fair to the player, and Q should give Kanter plenty of rope once he comes back, but it will be up to him whether he keeps the spot.

Why? I don't get this. So, hypothetically, let's say Player A currently starts and averages 8 points on 10 shots a game, grabs 3 rebounds, hands out 2 assists and has an adjusted +/- of -4. Player A gets injured and is replaced by Player B, who after 20 games averages 15 points on 11 shots, grabs 5 rebounds, hands out 4 assists and had an adjusted +/- of +6. Are you really going to insert Player A back into the starting lineup and send Player B back to a bench role?

It's a good thing Lou Gerhig's manager didn't believe in this.

It's a good thing Bill Belichik didn't follow this policy after Bledsoe got injured.

I'm sorry, this is a dumb policy. Play your best players who increase your chance of winning. Period!

repped.

Rudy's attitude is exactly what this team has been lacking for YEARS. Yes, YEARS. Once that emerges, you don't put anything else in front of it.
Thank you!!! This all the way. I recall the 49ers putting in Kaepernick when Alex went down. At that time the 49ers were staring to sputter a bit. Kaep destroyed the Bears and Smith never got his job back. If you put Gobert back on the bench what message is then sent to the rest of the team? That winning isn't important? What does that do to Gobert? He's clearly the future of this team.

I guess you just have to ask your self who do you want to make happy and who do you want to possibly anger? For me, I want to keep Gobert happy.

I think Go-bear should and will start.
Kanter will burn opponents' 2nd units, padding in the process nice stats.
WIN-WIN

Enes can be benched and he is still a sixth or 7th man on rotation that will give him 8 million a year. I have not seen 8 mil bucks ever together in my life time so he should be fine with it.

Whether Kanter gets benched or starts- its simply comes down to this who do you see as the future of the Jazz Frontline more Gobert or Kanter.
Id rather we kept Gobert happy, the impact the guy makes to opponents FG% as well as the attitude he brings can no longer be ignored and something long overdue in our frontline hopefully some of it will rub off onto Favors. I love how Gobert stood up for clark after the hard foul by Hibbert vs Pacers we need more of that.

Id like to hope Kanter will be ok off the bench if he gets 25mins, he can chew up second units on other teams- If not I am fine with moving ahead with Gobert, Favors and Booker

Goberts play also allows us to bring Kanter back slowly its best for all sides his and ours if he comes back when he's 100% and not make it worse.

The matter of who is better is pretty simple.

Enes's best quality is offense. Does his offensive game strike fear into a player/coach? Does a coach game plan against Enes? I believe the answer is a resounding no.

Rudy's best quality is defense. Does his defense strike fear into other plYers and coaches? Yes, yes it does. Plus, Rudy starting allows Favors to concentrate more on offense, and play his natural position.